Why no 32GB?

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I am currently an Android user, looking to perhaps switch over to WP7. I am using an Atrix, which has 16GB on board storage, plus microSD expansion. Although the official specs for the Samsung Focus S have not yet been announced, it seems unlikely that it will have 32GB on board. Is there official word from anyone as to why no WP7 phones have so little storage, and have no expandable storage (beyond the original Focus)?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
hey and WELCOME

i think the first generation and maybe even second Generation WP do not allow for a 32G Internal memory , im not sure WHY... but im pretty sure that’s one reason.

regarding SD cards MS doesn’t support SD cards because of the way the OS works.

meaning that when u put a SD card in it merges with the rest of your memory appose to being 2 separate Memory drives. witch if you can immagine can cause ALLOT of problems , once its in you CANT take it out unless your hardrest.

also they are probly pushing SKYDRIVE like crazy but it still kinda shiity and requires a 3G connection.

Again MS has not confirmed ANY of this … so nothing is official.

Last edited:

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
No, and lots of people are annoyed.

I'm still holding hope for a 32gb Focus S variant. Also hoping Nokia hits the U.S. with a phone with 32gb next year as well.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
You're right about that. I don't need it for the OS. I do, however, need it to store media so that I don't have to rely on cloud storage.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
hey and WELCOME

i think the first generation and maybe even second Generation WP do not allow for a 32G Internal memory , im not sure WHY... but im pretty sure that?s one reason.

regarding SD cards MS doesn?t support SD cards because of the way the OS works.

meaning that when u put a SD card in it merges with the rest of your memory appose to being 2 separate Memory drives. witch if you can immagine can cause ALLOT of problems , once its in you CANT take it out unless your hardrest.

also they are probly pushing SKYDRIVE like crazy but it still kinda shiity and requires a 3G connection.

Again MS has not confirmed ANY of this ? so nothing is official.
First generation phones can handle 32GB. Look here for how to change the internal 16GB microSD in the HTC Trophy to a 32GB card.

Also, Skydrive doesn't make sense in a world where the limits on bandwidth are shrinking more and more.

I think that there will be more options with greater storage as the phones get more popular. Right now, since WP7 phones don't allow expandable storage (with one exception), they don't want to spend the money to produce separate models with different storage, like the iPhone. Because of that, they try to hit the cheapest option that will get them the most buyers. 8GB on the low end, 16GB on the high(er) end. Until the OEMs and carriers see a demand for bigger storage and see that the markup for such phones will justify the higher production costs, we are stuck where we are now.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
32BG/64GB is a MUST for the next gen of WP. I'd like to put more videos on my phone, but don't want to run it at max capacity.

djm123456789

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
32GB/64GB need before I can switch.

32BG/64GB is a MUST for the next gen of WP. I'd like to put more videos on my phone, but don't want to run it at max capacity.

I'm with you, stuck using a 3GS just now and dying to get a windows phone. Until I see at least 32GB or better 64GB I won't make the change. Music and Videos are the most important part for me. Media device first and phone second.

Oh and I want the memory on board not as a might work SD card slot.

I need a new phone soon so WP7 you are going to lose me for another 2 years unless you can sort this out.....

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I am sure a lot of it has to do with demand. I see a lot of people here wanting 32GB or better. Myself, I could get by with 2GB. :D

I am sure in the future they will look at sales, including how the iPhone with 16GB, 32GB and 64GB sells.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you, stuck using a 3GS just now and dying to get a windows phone. Until I see at least 32GB or better 64GB I won't make the change. Music and Videos are the most important part for me. Media device first and phone second.

Oh and I want the memory on board not as a might work SD card slot.

I need a new phone soon so WP7 you are going to lose me for another 2 years unless you can sort this out.....

I have to confess that I'm more interested in the handset for it's function as a phone, but as I've grown closer to the phone (always picking it up nowadays), I'm now desiring more media support from it. 32BG or more would be plenty of space for music and videos. I'm currently watching Dexter and would like to store a whole season at a time for easy watching when the opportunity presents itself. :) Having the space for things like this would be awesome.

bpgui

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
The lack of storage is the single factor holding me back from WP7 at the moment. I need at least 32 gb. Preferably more, but 32 would suffice.
I'm actually ok with not being able to take it out. Does this mean, I CAN put in a 32 gb micro sd card as long as I don't remove it? Does it depend on the phone?

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't limit the storage amount, they just set the minimum at 8gb. So complain to your manufacturers, for sure.

Also, how many android phones come with 32gb? most I can find are 16gb with SD slots.

I have 24gb on my Focus and still have 8gb free. Can't imagine filling it up unless I'm on a trip and don't bring a laptop to swap out media.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Simple.

M$ wants to broaden its SkyDrive market, forcing you use the 25GB from SkyDrive.

Carriers love to see streaming data, forcing you to have the unlimited monthly data plan.

Winners: M$ and carriers.

Losers: customers of WP7 who wants more than 16GB.

Pretty straightforward. I am glad that I only need 16GB.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
A problem in your theory... many carrier like AT&T and Verizon do not offer unlimited data anymore.

I was just saying that in general, the more the merrier. Even 2Gb data plan gets them 10 dollars more than 200MB (which is sufficient on my BB because of compression of data streams).

But oh well, companies optimize for the market. It matters little what we think we want. =)

bpgui

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I was just saying that in general, the more the merrier. Even 2Gb data plan gets them 10 dollars more than 200MB (which is sufficient on my BB because of compression of data streams).

But oh well, companies optimize for the market. It matters little what we think we want. =)
I definitely agree about it not mattering much what we think.

I currently use between 500 and 1 gig on my BB at the moment. However, some months I go way over that (if I'm streaming a lot of MLB games for instance), so I keep the 4gb plan around. Still I don't want to have to constantly download my music from the skydrive. I'd rather just have it all available.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I definitely agree about it not mattering much what we think.

I currently use between 500 and 1 gig on my BB at the moment. However, some months I go way over that (if I'm streaming a lot of MLB games for instance), so I keep the 4gb plan around. Still I don't want to have to constantly download my music from the skydrive. I'd rather just have it all available.

Exactly, what if you are on a subway. Streaming music is a no-go.

M$ is spending so much money on the enterprise and xbox side (lots and lots of cash there) that they obviously didn't value the mobile market enough to make an game-changing impact.

I hope next year this time WP7 is gonna be full-fledged. Many people stay away from WP7 because of the dependency on google. WP7 probably needs a strong enough Bing to get consumers' confidence.

ha... let's hope

bpgui

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I am optimistic that WP will take off soon. Seeing some early previews of WP8 (and Windows 8 in general) is what got me interested in exploring the WP7 devices.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I am optimistic that WP will take off soon. Seeing some early previews of WP8 (and Windows 8 in general) is what got me interested in exploring the WP7 devices.

Yea, but love over the technology doesn't guarantee its success. I am sure WP7 won't be the next meego. Again, because of M$ and its cash reserve, but I just hope they bomb the mobile sector faster. But anyway, you are right, with Win8's focus on "one thing for all", I think WP stands a much higher chance than with respect to the current situation

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel