Convert from webOS - Please Help!

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello WP7 community. Although I love webOS, the end has come and I have Samsung Focus being shipped to me (I'm on Rogers in Canada).

I need some help from the WP7 community, especially former WebOS users. I'll number my questions so that it is easier to get responses.

#1 - Does WP7 import ALL contacts from gmail (including the 'other contacts' category that google just shoves email addresses etc into automatically) or does it import just the MY CONTACTS category? WebOS synced with only the 'my contacts' category thankfully otherwise my contacts would have been spammed with a million random entries.

#2 - Does WP7 just import contacts from gmail or does it SYNC contacts with gmail (same question applies to hotmail, facebook etc)? Is it a one-time thing or will new contacts made in gmail later be imported? Does it go both ways, will changes on either the phone or in google/gmail contacts be made in the other? WebOS users will know what i am talking about.

#3 - Should I be thinking about moving from the google services (gmail/calendar) to hotmail/live or does it not really matter? I have both, but i really just use google services. Personally, I am rooting for MSoft's alternatives because google is taking over the web!

#4 - I have heard of some issues with the Samsung Focus, especially with regard to Mango. Is there anything I should be aware of or are all those issues worked out?

#5 - Anything else you think I should know?

EDIT: #6 - Does the Mango Focus have tethering? I was under the impression that it did but now i am reading conflicting information.

Thanks alot, i look forward to getting to know this community!

Last edited:

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I would wait for another person to chime in to get a second opinion but here's mine

2. It syncs contacts with all of those services if you like. I honestly don't know if it's that initial time or not because whenever I add a new contact, it's directly into the phone, not on gmail. I can imagine if you resynced it the new contacts will show

3. Doesn't matter

4. I think there were issues for those waiting for the official mango update (they had to wait a little later), but my boyfriend's focus was forced updated and he has no problems at all.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Hello WP7 community. Although I love webOS, the end has come and I have Samsung Focus being shipped to me (I'm on Rogers in Canada).

I need some help from the WP7 community, especially former WebOS users. I'll number my questions so that it is easier to get responses.

#1 - Does WP7 import ALL contacts from gmail (including the 'other contacts' category that google just shoves email addresses etc into automatically) or does it import just the MY CONTACTS category? WebOS synced with only the 'my contacts' category thankfully otherwise my contacts would have been spammed with a million random entries.

#2 - Does WP7 just import contacts from gmail or does it SYNC contacts with gmail (same question applies to hotmail, facebook etc)? Is it a one-time thing or will new contacts made in gmail later be imported? Does it go both ways, will changes on either the phone or in google/gmail contacts be made in the other? WebOS users will know what i am talking about.

#3 - Should I be thinking about moving from the google services (gmail/calendar) to hotmail/live or does it not really matter? I have both, but i really just use google services. Personally, I am rooting for MSoft's alternatives because google is taking over the web!

#4 - I have heard of some issues with the Samsung Focus, especially with regard to Mango. Is there anything I should be aware of or are all those issues worked out?

EDIT: #6 - Does the Mango Focus have tethering? I was under the impression that it did but now i am reading conflicting information.

Thanks alot, i look forward to getting to know this community!

AS far as 6 there was rumor word that ATT was going to push a firmware update for tethering and some other stuff for their devices but it hasnt happened yet!

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
There have been delays with the mango update only for the firmware 1.4 version of the Samsung Focus.

I have a 1.3 version an its been mangofied :)

You might wait til Sunday and go with the Samsung Focus S though :) just sayn

tsaunders80

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
You should wait and get the Samsung Focus S

I switched form the Pre2 as my signal wasn't working that well.

I believe it syncs both ways.

Homebrew is not as easy as it was with webOS you need to have a developer account to do a lot of things.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Well I got my Focus, thanks to those of you who commented. I'll also give answers now to my own questions now that I have been using the Samsung Focus.

#1 - Like webOS, WP7.5 does NOT sync the 'other' contacts from Gmail. This is very good because the 'other' category is just populated by any email you ever send or recieve...that makes for alot of junk information.

#2 - WP7 syncs with google, changes go both ways...the contacts work great.

#3 - Google stuff works just fine, calendar, mail contacts...(though i understand only the main calendar from google will sink).

#4 -

#6 - So the Focus doesn't have tethering enabled by MS/carriers/samsung but it is built in. I unlocked my phone (quite a process) and enabled the internet sharing. HOWEVER, my Focus has some Wifi issues which may be related to using the Internet Sharing so i'm not sure it's a good idea right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire