why regular americans don't know anything about windows phone

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
i talked to more than 4 people and all of them think windows phone 7 horrible
but non of them have tried windows phone and they think its horrible because others said its horrible and one of them is a girl she said " well its a combination of windows and a phone so i don't think its good phone ":straight:

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
People have always had problems with PC and Windows in the past thats why people dont like the new Windows phone because its "complicated"

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
People have always had problems with PC and Windows in the past thats why people dont like the new Windows phone because its "complicated"

If I had a dollar for every customer who returned a WP7 for an iPhone because it was "too complicated" I'd be able to retire and flip off every iSheep as I was walking out the door! The only reason they think its too complicated is because some family member or friend told them it was. If people would just think for themselves this world would be a better place.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
complicated i meant as windows in general just by peoples past experiences with their PC's and Office can easily turn people away from Windows Phone because they probably expect it to be the same thing

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
complicated i meant as windows in general just by peoples past experiences with their PC's and Office can easily turn people away from Windows Phone because they probably expect it to be the same thing

Forgive me... I didn't mean to contradict you. It was just a rant in general. I really do have a lot of WP7 devices returned because the people felt it was too complicated. And just about every time it's because someone said they should have gotten an iphone instead.

I agree with you. People's perception on Windows and Microsoft does have a negative impact on WP sales. It's something that MS really needs to address soon. Something like their Windows 7 campaign. I think that helped bring people back who were burned from Windows Vista.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
^ damn sorry to hear that for people that brought back the WP phones were they on Mango? MS should make it easier for people to understand the operating system provide a user manual or something make it easy for the end user to figure things out.

I can figure things out easily but a normal average joe probably doesn't know how to sync contacts with FB etc

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
With the new Gen II devices coming out it should be getting a bit better. People don't want to have to do the update themselves.

I know someone who hated her Windows Phone ...until I showed her how to integrate Facebook into her contacts. She was just tickled pink that she could see all of her, and her friends', FB albums in the picture hub. She had the phone for eight months and hadn't updated to Mango yet. She said she tried, but it was too confusing. I enticed her with all of the Mango features. The next day she said she tried a little harder this time and was able to update easily.

Basically, it is not about the ability to learn the features, it is about the motovation to do so. People just don't know what they are missing. It's all about awareness.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think it's coming around. I seen the "family' commercials and HTC's Radar commercial all throughout the weekend. People will start to ask questions.

Plus people tend to stick with what they know. I had a friend switch from Android to WP7 and she hated WP7, and moved back to Android. It's just what's familiar to her.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Apple marketing makes it look "cool" owning a Apple product
MS marketing should aim at making it look "coo" when using a Microsoft product

Get people interested learning how to fully utlize the device rather than just owning and it and using it for "looks" cause thats what Apple owners do.

This is how I would focus my marketing campain

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft took a beating with the whole "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" campaign, and they didn't do a GD thing about it. I never understood that. Here you have Apple exaggerating about computer crashes and viruses, and Microsoft didn't do anything to protect their brand whatsoever. It got to the point that Microsoft had to do "The Mojave Experiment" ads, where they had to trick people into using Vista without telling them it was Vista.

Yes, Vista was a disaster, but not so bad after SP2. Still, Windows 7 came to save the day. Thing is, by that point, Apple had flooded the airwaves basically associating Windows with something awful, plus the iPhone was already out which really crushed Microsoft even more.

I've heard people trash Windows Phone without even looking at the UI, just because of the word Windows. As if Windows was really THAT hard to use to being with. The BSODs are not as frequent as they used to be 10 or more years ago.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I would create an add somebody doing something on a MAC 1 screen vs a PC 3 screen eyefinity setup. Same price for the hardware and show people how much faster and more efficient Windows is compared to a MAC.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
It's amazing someone would think a wp7 is more difficult than an iPhone. People definitely don't think for themselves anymore.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I can see it being difficult from the start because its different. Users know what to expect with iPhone and Android. For example I am sure an average user will have problem setting up the People Hub they wont know what the heck is going on.

I became a bit tighter when recommending WP. Its a great phone but I wont recognize it if the user I am selling it to doesn't meet my criteria.

I dont want end users to have a bad experience with this phone that isn't my goal.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
All the advertising you see in the states is for either the iPhone or an Android phone.

This. Although I have seen a lot of commercials for the HTC radar here in the states lately. Even when I went to upgrade my line, there was a huge iPhone banner on the upgrade page on the AT&T site. It's pretty obvious what they are pushing.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some . . . people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over HERE in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh,or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future, for our children.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some . . . people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over HERE in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh,or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future, for our children.

LOL! I remember her saying that! Miss Teen USA 2007 - South Carolina answers a question - YouTube

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
MS did the "i'm a PC, and I've been stereotyped ad" where were very popular and very successful.
Microsoft took a beating with the whole "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" campaign, and they didn't do a GD thing about it. I never understood that. Here you have Apple exaggerating about computer crashes and viruses, and Microsoft didn't do anything to protect their brand whatsoever. It got to the point that Microsoft had to do "The Mojave Experiment" ads, where they had to trick people into using Vista without telling them it was Vista.

Yes, Vista was a disaster, but not so bad after SP2. Still, Windows 7 came to save the day. Thing is, by that point, Apple had flooded the airwaves basically associating Windows with something awful, plus the iPhone was already out which really crushed Microsoft even more.

I've heard people trash Windows Phone without even looking at the UI, just because of the word Windows. As if Windows was really THAT hard to use to being with. The BSODs are not as frequent as they used to be 10 or more years ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb