Seriously, anyone else get the feeling of bashing your head against a wall

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
When you read stories showing at&t, T-mobile, Sprint, Verizon, store reps, blogs, mainstream media, uninformed consumers and the constant bias against WP7? Is it really that bad an OS that NO ONE will give it the time of day? From the launch when we started reading horror stories of how people were lied to and denied access to buying WP7 devices to the current Focus S and Flash launch and stories like these http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-discussion/182914.htm http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-discussion/182873.htm http://forums.windowscentral.com/focus-s-4g/182857.htm. Products like the iphone can be popular, nothing against that but the instant revulsion at the mere mention of WP7? Total unwillingness to even try it? What am I missing, have I somehow been brainwashed into thinking the last 11 months of using my DVP were a joy when in fact it was a total nightmare? Was it all a dream by someone taking a shower?

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Remember WP sales > Android 1st year thats positive right there. Nokia Lumina #1 selling phone in france. MS is now spending money training sales on all MS features which is also great!

Lets face the facts NoDo isn't a great smartphone but Mango changed the game. I dont see why people would buy an Android device rather than a WP at a low - mid range price point aim for those consumers.

In terms of upgrade WP doesn't have a high end device that can compete with the IOS5 and Galaxy 2 I am sure when Apollo and Nokia hit the states we are going to see upgrade packages for WP's not only iOS

Also all the recent reviews about Mango have been great I haven't heard one bad review even people that switched from iOS to Mango mention its a good iOS with a lack of APPS. If WP had a huge APP database it could for sure take alot of iOS users away.

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
Its the alllll mighty $. They will sell phones they feel will not get returned because they get commission. I went through a whole ordeal when I went to buy my palm 2. Rep flat out told me that when people ask for the palm pre 2 they usually laugh in their face. Then pushed an iPhone and android device in my face. I kindly declined.

Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
When I picked up my Focus S a very nice sales rep that wasn't even the one helping me came over and asked why I didn't want the iPhone. I told him the usual stuff Zune, Skydrive, Hotmail its my ecosystem I need a device for that. Then I asked him have you ever heard of a website called TiPb? he said sure The iPhone Blog sure I go there all the time. Then I told him about my work here at WPC and that we were sister sites and I am an Admin here. Now he was nice about it but he was still trying to sale me an iPhone. I finally had to say "Dood Stop! I'm not interested." The guy helping me saw like some people just dont know when to quit.

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
I think I'm turning over a new leaf. From this day on, if I go to a store and they push and iPhone or an android phone on me I will kindly decline. And when they ask why I will give them a nasty answer: why don't I want the iphone? Because I am not an uneducated tool. Are you? Now can I have this one please?

Musicjunkie0210

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
The sad thing is how much they lie. Just yesterday I saw a sales rep tell a 50+ year old woman to buy a touch screen android instead of a blackberry. She only knew to ask which had better battery life, and again he insists on the android even though she wasn't tech-savvy at all and had no need for android. Ironically though, when I bought my HD7, I was lucky enough to meet a sensible geek that told me to get this phone because mango would solve everything. Best decision I ever made

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
And at the end of the day, I will still choose a Windows phone over the OS's. This is the first smartphone I have had, where I have not grown bored with it. :)

mdrapps

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm a developer and I feel like I'm missing a huge customer base. Microsoft is doing a poor job marketing their phone operating system. Where are the commercials that demonstrate to people that its a SMARTPHONE?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm a developer and I feel like I'm missing a huge customer base. Microsoft is doing a poor job marketing their phone operating system. Where are the commercials that demonstrate to people that its a SMARTPHONE?

I don't think anyone here will disagree with you. :cool:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I think I'm turning over a new leaf. From this day on, if I go to a store and they push and iPhone or an android phone on me I will kindly decline. And when they ask why I will give them a nasty answer: why don't I want the iphone? Because I am not an uneducated tool. Are you? Now can I have this one please?

I think that that attitude is changing some at least in my ATT store here the guys are familar ith WP and are not really pushing it but at least not steerintg you to the iphone 4s and android. The newest androids the vivid and the star whatever had really nice displays but they were android. The s had a great screen as well and I hope the titan does but I'm leaning towards the s primarily because I have the focus now and for a penny if I can keep my unltd data its a no brainer!

jmburke1982

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
This past May I was up for a new phone, and I went to the ATT store and asked about the new Windows phones. Every person I spoke to spoke down about them saying they weren't that good, and that Android and iphones were better. I have used Blackberry's, android, iphones, etc, in the past and always got sick of each one after a while. Anyway, I went with an HTC android and I did enjoy it....but then like always it just started loosing its luster for me.

I found someone on craigslist who was looking to trade phones like me, and I traded for my first WP& phone (focus). I have never been happier with a phone than I am now...and I actually like the fact that no one else has it...now I can be the one to introduce it to them!

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I have experience in iOS, Android and Windows Phone 7.5. After lots of testing, i choose Windows Phone 7.5 over other OS. People don't realize that you don't need to be geek to use Windows Phone like Android, and to pay 2$ or more dollars to unlock features on my iPhone.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I certainly was looking forward to Mango but I never felt that WP7 prior to the update was a bad OS far from it, it was a joy to use.

Now new features that I really missed such as out of office and better integration to Sharepoint have definately improved my experience and yes I really appreciate the TellMe functionality around texting but I never felt cheated coming from a background of Windows Mobile > Blackberry > Android > WP7 > Nodo > Mango.

What disapoints me is when highly respected consumer magazines such as UK Which? imply that without a dual core that WP is somehow slower than the dual core competition. It does not fill me with much hope that a shop assistant would be any better informed tbh.

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I certainly was looking forward to Mango but I never felt that WP7 prior to the update was a bad OS far from it, it was a joy to use.

Now new features that I really missed such as out of office and better integration to Sharepoint have definately improved my experience and yes I really appreciate the TellMe functionality around texting but I never felt cheated coming from a background of Windows Mobile > Blackberry > Android > WP7 > Nodo > Mango.

What disapoints me is when highly respected consumer magazines such as UK Which? imply that without a dual core that WP is somehow slower than the dual core competition. It does not fill me with much hope that a shop assistant would be any better informed tbh.

You know, dual core processors are over rated. There are still only a handful apps and games that works on dual-core, so that is next gen phones, for 2012. Then i hope MS with Nokia, LG, Dell, Samsung, HTC... will bring these devices in the right time :)

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I actually think Microsoft have been pretty smart with introducing consumer technology and I would suggest it started with the Xbox360. They choose to hold back some features and introduce them in stages when the market was ready and I suspect they will do the same with Dual Core.

They will be accused of reacting slowly but I think it will serve them well in the end after all look at the Xbox which has probably had its biggest Black Friday ever 6 years after it was launched and 1 year after it was supposed to be in its grave.

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
When I bought my HD7, the sales guy tried to steer me to another HTC with android.. saying those were more powerful .. bla bla...

But I understand, it's common sense I guess..

Put yourself in their shoes. If they promote something that is less popular, then any complaints the customers have, they would get blamed.
"This phone has no Google Earth"?
"How to install Pandora"?
"I want instagram"
"Why didn't you sell me android or iphone", etc.. things like that, you know what I mean.

But if their customers buy android, or iphone, they are less likely to get blamed for anything because they're already selling you most popular product.

WP is having a tough battle. I guess it depends on Microsoft and how they educate smartphone sellers and buyers, and developers.
Which, unfortunately, I think microsoft is not very good at it...

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The sad thing is how much they lie. Just yesterday I saw a sales rep tell a 50+ year old woman to buy a touch screen android instead of a blackberry. She only knew to ask which had better battery life, and again he insists on the android even though she wasn't tech-savvy at all and had no need for android. Ironically though, when I bought my HD7, I was lucky enough to meet a sensible geek that told me to get this phone because mango would solve everything. Best decision I ever made

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

The newer blackberries aren't troopers when it comes to battery life - small batteries and upgraded internals pretty much killed their advantage there. An 80 year old granny will get good battery life on any phone that doesn't have a blood sucking ambitiously overspeced cell radio in it, TBH.

The only issues she really had to worry about IRT those devices was physical keyboard vs. soft keyboard. Depending on the person, it may or may not have been a good idea to make the Android suggestion. If she's 80 wearing thick glass I'd probably suggest something other than a Blackberry as well.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I feel the cut of your jib bro, but the blogs I tend to read, mostly Gizmodo and Engadget, continually sing WP's praises and talk about how beautiful it is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs