Am I the only one not worried about storage space?

L

lumic

I think 16 is enough. I'll probably have 1-2 gigs left over, but I won't be cramped up. Having 32GB should definitely be an option, since I'm sure that some are much bigger multimedia junkies than I am.

My issue is with the fact that 8GB phones are still there. It's only a problem because apps have no way of being backed up - I either keep my expansive game library on the device and start to cut down on music which I still enjoy, or get rid of game saves (and regret it later on).

With the cheap phones, put 16GB microSDs inside. I honestly could not care about loading times when I could get double the storage. Either that, or just PLEASE include a microSD slot, hide it if you must (under the battery or something). Put a huge sticker on it that says "READ MANUAL BEFORE USING".

The fact that you must recommend a first-gen device if someone wants over 16GB of storage is depressing, not to mention that the Focus is very limited in availability on a global scale.

bpgui

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
i guess maybe you folks want everything on your phone, which is fine, each to their own; it just seems a bit greedy to me.
It's greedy to want to be able to do something with WP that we could do with every other major OS?

5-10 years from now, you'll be able to do that. right now, you can't reasonably.
We can reasonably, just not with WP.

just accept that and pick up a 64 gig ipod touch on ebay that's a couple years old for $100 bucks
I want to carry only 1 device, and I don't want Apple or iTunes.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
People keep saying the lack of expendable storage is a turn off from Windows Phone devices, but with SkyDrive free 25GB and Zune Pass, why would people need more and expendable memory?

Unless I'm not understanding what Zune Pass is, isn't it like you being able to listen to music anywhere and at anytime from the Music marketplace without having to actually download it? As in, with my Zune Pass, I could load a new device for the first time and go to the Music Marketplace and stream albums without having to download it? If this is what it is, I don't see the need for extra memory (especially if it means it could get manufacturers to be more likely to produce Windows Phones because of lower costs).

The only time I guess this would suck is in an area of bad/no connection with no WiFi (and I also understand a lot of people feel unsafe about cloud services like SkyDrive)

You aren't the only one. When I got my Focus, I never could find an SD card for it, and I was really worried that I would fill up 8 gigs in a heart beat, but I've never even come close. I keep about three to four albums on my phone all the time, but it's never been an issue. I can see that it could become one for people like my wife though. She has like 200 apps on her phone that she swears she actually uses (compared to my fifty-is) and she occasionally goes through spurts where she wants to have movies on there (for traveling or whatever) whereas I am okay with Netflix. Or like, some people want to have 10,000 songs on their iPod all the time. I could never keep that many songs straight, much less feel like I need to be able to listen to one at any moment.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
i'm with OP here. i've got about 24 hours worth of music loaded onto my Flash (obv not the best quality....but it's a phone, come on) and still have a gig or two left for apps/photos/etc. that's an 8 gig phone, cut down to around 6 after OS. i do not understand what these people need 25 feature films and their entire music collections on their phone for. get an ipod or an ipad, jeez.

and yes, i also have an ipod. 160 gig, slap full (at high quality, of course). but having SOME stuff on my phone as a backup or whatever, 6 gigs of storage is plenty. i guess maybe you folks want everything on your phone, which is fine, each to their own; it just seems a bit greedy to me. 5-10 years from now, you'll be able to do that. right now, you can't reasonably. just accept that and pick up a 64 gig ipod touch on ebay that's a couple years old for $100 bucks and carry it in your purse (and if you're a guy, and whining about needing 16+ gigs of storage on your phone, get a purse. you can keep some tissues in there too). ;)
Zune pass doesn't work with an ipod or any other music player except Zunes, which are now discontinued, or Windows phone. Streaming isn't a good option for those on limited data plans. If you want to make smart*** comments, at least have all your information straight.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I only have 8 gig on my Focus and I still have about 2 gigs left. I have about 85% of my music collection on my phone and a ton of games and apps. I'm content. But I know there are people with HUGE music libraries that would smash through 8 gigs on the initial sync.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
On my antique BlackBerry, I have a 16GB microSD card. I have a realtively smallish music collection but I also subscribe to podcasts. Currently I'm filling up 8.94GB. With an 8GB phone, I'd have about 6.5GB of usuable space. That automatically rules out any 8GB phones, so by bye Lumia 710 and Radar. 16GB would work but if I decide to expand my music or podcast library or apps, I would be stuck.

Not to mention the fact that this 16GB microSD card is already bought and paid for. If they start offering phones with multiple storage options like the iPhone, I will be forced to pay for storage every time I upgrade. On Verizon, moving from an 8GB iPhone to a 16GB iPhone costs me $100 more. Moving from a 16Gb iPhone to a 32GB iPhone costs me another $100. In contrast, on Amazon, I can buy a baseline 8GB microSD card for $8.54. A 16GB card costs me $12.00 and a 32GB card would set me back $36.80. If the iPhone had removable storage, I would buy the 8GB iPhone and add my pre-existing 16GB card and pocket that savings. As it stands now, I pay a significant premium for extra storage that I wouldn't otherwise need if external storage were allowed.

Make no mistake about it, this is the way of the future because the carriers and OEM's see storage as a new profit center. Apple started the trend. MS is making it their default. The new Samsung Galaxy Nexus Android phone, the next true "Google Phone", does not allow external storage. This will be a significant cost increase to consumers as they upgrade their phones through the years.

Last edited:

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
On my antique BlackBerry, I have a 16GB microSD card. I have a realtively smallish music collection but I also subscribe to podcasts. Currently I'm filling up 8.94GB. With an 8GB phone, I'd have about 6.5GB of usuable space. That automatically rules out any 8GB phones, so by bye Lumia 710 and Radar. 16GB would work but if I decide to expand my music or podcast library or apps, I would be stuck.

Not to mention the fact that this 16GB microSD card is already bought and paid for. If they start offering phones with multiple storage options like the iPhone, I will be forced to pay for storage every time I upgrade. On Verizon, moving from an 8GB iPhone to a 16GB iPhone costs me $100 more. Moving from a 16Gb iPhone to a 32GB iPhone costs me another $100. In contrast, on Amzon, I can buy a baseline 8GB microSD card for $8.54. A 16GB card costs me $12.00 and a 32GB card would set me back $36.80. If the iPhone had removable storage, I would buy the 8GB iPhone and add my pre-existing 16GB card and pocket that savings. As it stands now, I pay a significant premium for extra storage that I wouldn't otherwise need if external storage were allowed.

Make no mistake about it, this is the way of the future because the carriers and OEM's see storage as a new profit center. Apple started the trend. MS is making it their default. The new Samsung Galaxy Nexus Android phone, the next true "Google Phone", does not allow external storage. This will be a significant cast increase to consumers as they upgrade their phones through the years.

wow....never thought of it like this....thanks for the insight

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I've got 64GB in my music library but in no way need all those songs on my phone. To be honest, I don't know why I even keep that many songs as I don't listen to much of any of it anymore. It's just a collection of songs at this point as most of the music on my phone is stuff I downloaded on the phone itself. They aren't even synced to Zune.

I think I'm using 5GB out of 16. That's including a few movies and music videos.

ecthroi

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Zune pass doesn't work with an ipod or any other music player except Zunes, which are now discontinued, or Windows phone. Streaming isn't a good option for those on limited data plans. If you want to make smart*** comments, at least have all your information straight.

i wasn't talking about Zune pass, i was talking about being able to store 24+ hours worth of music on an 8 gig phone. if a person wants to purchase Zune pass for their Windows phone, they can then have even more room for other content besides music....and if they don't purchase it, they have EASILY 24+ hours worth of music they can store on their 8 gig phone. not enough? get a 16 gig phone! not enough? but a last gen that has microSD support! do i think microsoft should offer 32 gig options on at least SOME of the new Windows phones? **** yeah i do, cause options are always good. i never said otherwise. i was simply pointing out (along with a couple of other posters) that you can fit a lot of information on even an 8gig phone, and i personally (my opinion...we all have one, right?) think 16 gigs is plenty for most people, and MOST who think they 'need' more than that are mistaken. they may WANT more than that, sure. and that's EXACTLY why Microsoft should be offering 32+ gig phones. but they don't with any of this generation of phones, so get over it. go back to last gen or wait. call Microsoft and complain until then.

just as if i someone were to poke at me complaining about the titan not getting a release date until a couple days ago, i wouldn't get offended; i'm WHINING on an internet forum. it's a silly place, we have to expect it.

zune | eBay

now THAT's me being a smart@ss. this is the internet, don't take it so seriously.

ecthroi

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
It's greedy to want to be able to do something with WP that we could do with every other major OS?

We can reasonably, just not with WP.

I want to carry only 1 device, and I don't want Apple or iTunes.

yeah, i see it as greedy. people are suddenly worried about having everything accessible all of the time, in every device they own. i think it's a greedy, selfish consequence of the culture around technology; we want the best all the time and anything hindering us being satisfied beyond every imaginative whim we may have is, to these few people, an issue. my thoughts (read: personal opinions) about that are that these people need to step back for a second and reevaluate what's going on. how many of us even had cell phones 20 years ago? not even 10%? how many of us had a computer with 32 gigs of space 10 years ago? not many. we got along just fine. and yes, increasing speed/size of files/quality, blah blah, i understand that. i'm simply saying that 10 years ago we got around JUST fine without a 32 gig computer in our pocket. it's the culture that i find greedy and unreasonable, not simply these few people who are genuinely upset that theres nothing over 16 gigs currently offered in this wave of Mango phones. it's NOT that big of a deal to anyone except MS's stockholders.

on your second point, yeah, we can. but for whatever reasons MS chose not to offer it, and i can assure you they had plenty of conversations about offering phones with more than 16 gigs in this set of phones, but they chose not to. it's reasonable to want it, it's not reasonable to expect it. MS doesn't owe you, me, or anyone anything at all. their decisions will be judged by the amount of money they make (or don't make).

not to be glib, but, well, get a focus. microSD support, Mango support. problem solved. not on AT&T? there are other options, which includes switching to AT&T (assuming you're in the states).

bpgui

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
^Since we got along fine without cell phones 10-20 years ago, perhaps we shouldn't have them now.

I guess we'll just have to disagree that wanting options that EVERY OTHER major manufacturer gives its customers is greedy. I

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
See that? No one says you are being greedy for wanting "better" hardware or wanting different things on the os. Suggestions are open to the forum and I like reading them, but after the same person repeats it in his 7th post, its redundant. And just because someone counters your opinion doesn't automatically mean it's negative

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Greedy? That's absurd. It's perfectly reasonable to want WP7 phones to offer a competitive feature set. Those that are being loyal to the OS are getting shortchanged. If MS is averse to allowing SD expansion, fine. The manufacturers need to give buyers options. It would be a good idea for MS to get with Nokia or someone and have them make a true halo device.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

ecthroi

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
^Since we got along fine without cell phones 10-20 years ago, perhaps we shouldn't have them now.

I guess we'll just have to disagree that wanting options that EVERY OTHER major manufacturer gives its customers is greedy. I

i didn't have a cell until 3-4 years ago. i'm 29, live in a smallish southern city. before i got a cell, i was the odd one out. plus, i like tech-y stuff. i just never liked cell phones, and part of me still doesn't. if it wasn't VERY convenient to my current lifestyle, i probably wouldn't have one. in a few years when that situation changes, i'll seriously consider going without one and back to a landline. it's not a matter of should or shouldn't, we obviously have the choice and live in a country where we have time to argue over this mess, so we DO have that choice. i just think it's a bit greedy of some people to want everything all of the time. sometimes you just have to accept there are SOME limitations.

again, i said very clearly that i thought the culture that i found greedy, and in a previous post stated that i feel that greed comes as a consequence of the tech-world's 'bigger better faster' mentality. that's all.

and technically, MS still offers phones with microSD expansion. the first generation focuses are easily purchased at multiple retailers and, as far as i know, the production line isn't discontinued yet; though i'm sure that's not too far off.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
i wasn't talking about Zune pass, i was talking about being able to store 24+ hours worth of music on an 8 gig phone. if a person wants to purchase Zune pass for their Windows phone, they can then have even more room for other content besides music....and if they don't purchase it, they have EASILY 24+ hours worth of music they can store on their 8 gig phone. not enough? get a 16 gig phone! not enough? but a last gen that has microSD support! do i think microsoft should offer 32 gig options on at least SOME of the new Windows phones? **** yeah i do, cause options are always good. i never said otherwise. i was simply pointing out (along with a couple of other posters) that you can fit a lot of information on even an 8gig phone, and i personally (my opinion...we all have one, right?) think 16 gigs is plenty for most people, and MOST who think they 'need' more than that are mistaken. they may WANT more than that, sure. and that's EXACTLY why Microsoft should be offering 32+ gig phones. but they don't with any of this generation of phones, so get over it. go back to last gen or wait. call Microsoft and complain until then.

just as if i someone were to poke at me complaining about the titan not getting a release date until a couple days ago, i wouldn't get offended; i'm WHINING on an internet forum. it's a silly place, we have to expect it.

zune | eBay

now THAT's me being a smart@ss. this is the internet, don't take it so seriously.

What can I say but, you're right!

L

lumic

ecthroi, stop trying to impose your opinion on everyone. I want my music in 320kbps, that's my choice. I also want a selection of podcasts with at least two episodes for each (so Zune doesn't go nifty and delete one when I don't want it to). I need to keep all the large games I have because there is no app data backup.

I'm currently out of memory with no movies and restricting my game, music and podcast selection. Having enough storage to meet your needs is not "greed" - just because your mileage is much lower does not entitle you to sit on a moral high horse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077