Only thing I really dislike about the Windows Phone 7 Web Browser

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I hate how font size isn't consistent. Some sites make some font larger so its easier to read but other font is much smaller or larger.

I wish Microsoft would have never tampered with the font and left it alone like the browsers on iOS and Android.

Also is the keyboard kinda slow for you all when you're typing on this site from your phone? It takes like a few seconds for the letters to register on the text field when I type. Very annoying.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Typing in Board Express sucks. Any other typing I do on my phone is very responsive, except for BE. Always have to wait for it to catch up, resulting in several unnecessary errors. How I would love to see a competitive app, at any price.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Peter McCain

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
is this browser supposed to be just like the iphone's safari browser?
they both don't support Flash, but they do support html5 right?

when i compare both phones' browsers, what's the reason there are more videos available to be play on the iphone than on the focus S?

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
is this browser supposed to be just like the iphone's safari browser?
they both don't support Flash, but they do support html5 right?

when i compare both phones' browsers, what's the reason there are more videos available to be play on the iphone than on the focus S?

A lot of sites optimise their viewing for iOS/Mobile Safari because it's the biggest generator of mobile traffic by far. So even though you'e not looking at a mobile site per se, the site recognises what you're viewing it from and adjusts the display accordingly.

As for browser keyboard problems, only hassle I've had is the occasional keyboard disappearing act. Other than that, it's one of the best mobile device keyboards I've used - on par with the iPhone keyboard and much nicer than any one I've used on an Android device.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes the keyboard is slow for me when typing in forums. But I am still rocking a rev 1.4 Focus, so I do not have Mango yet.

Yes, most times, the KB is kind of slow. But it's not just this site.

Typing in Board Express sucks. Any other typing I do on my phone is very responsive, except for BE. Always have to wait for it to catch up, resulting in several unnecessary errors. How I would love to see a competitive app, at any price.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Yeah this is what I'm talking about. I'm typing this from my HTC Sensation right now and its just as responsive as when I'm typing a text message. On my HD7, the keys take a few seconds to rejister making it lag when typing

I'm guessing it has to do with the hardware difference because it wasn't this responsive on my old Motorola Droid 1 back from 2009. This is also a reason why I was disappointed that Opera isn't making any browsers for WP7. They're mobile browsers are the most responsive when it comes to inputting text into text fields in the browser.

Last edited:

Peter McCain

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
A lot of sites optimise their viewing for iOS/Mobile Safari because it's the biggest generator of mobile traffic by far. So even though you'e not looking at a mobile site per se, the site recognises what you're viewing it from and adjusts the display accordingly.

is this is correct? how can i watch the video content on these websites? do i have to go through their mobile version? how can i access the videos that can be played on an iphone but not on e9.
ie. IGN - I can check video reviews on an ios device, but i only see the flash pugin on Wp' e9

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
No, but the point was if you can get a browser to pretend it's mobile safari, you get iPhone-optimised versions of sites that are usually better suited to phone browsers than regular sites or ultra-basic mobile sites designed for feature phone browsers like Opera mini.

In an ideal world, the site owner would set it up so that it'd recognise if you were coming in from a phone (any phone) and give you that site.

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
No, but the point was if you can get a browser to pretend it's mobile safari, you get iPhone-optimised versions of sites that are usually better suited to phone browsers than regular sites or ultra-basic mobile sites designed for feature phone browsers like Opera mini.

In an ideal world, the site owner would set it up so that it'd recognise if you were coming in from a phone (any phone) and give you that site.

if I recall correctly this is/was referred to as WAP (wireless access protocol) and many sites can be set to display as a mobile site. If the site is one you subscribe to or login to you may be able to set your profile to display in mobile version. Check at the bottom of the sites home page. Often there are links to page settings there.

As the web progresses and more site owners realize the tremendous amount of viewing done from mobile devices I'll bet we see more automatic rendering. Until then our device browsers need to do that work.

I'm pretty impressed with SurfCube it takes up where IE left off.
Like not using screen real estate for the URL addy after you've arrived. While typing I get word suggestions displayed as well as automatic spelling corrections!

No lag at all with keyboard input from my HTC ARRIVE. Easy access to tabs and cool graphical interaction!

Cheers!

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
A friend of mine traded his iPhone 4 for a Titan today.

I'm typing this from his Titan right now on the full desktop page and it kinda lags when I type. It's not as responsive like when I type in a text message.

Also, some sites I went to didn't render too well. Some fonts were much bigger than others. Has Microsoft made a way to change this?

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
A friend of mine traded his iPhone 4 for a Titan today.

I'm typing this from his Titan right now on the full desktop page and it kinda lags when I type. It's not as responsive like when I type in a text message.

Also, some sites I went to didn't render too well. Some fonts were much bigger than others. Has Microsoft made a way to change this?

I'm sorry but I'm sick and tired of these anecdotal stories. Apple just announced they sold 37 million iPhones the last quarter. EVERYONE is buying iPhones. Your father, mother, brother, sister, cousin, grandpa, grandma they are ALL buying iPhones!!!!!!

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but I'm sick and tired of these anecdotal stories. Apple just announced they sold 37 million iPhones the last quarter. EVERYONE is buying iPhones. Your father, mother, brother, sister, cousin, grandpa, grandma they are ALL buying iPhones!!!!!!

im glad im not one of the 37 million

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786