Dual vs Single Core Conversations: STOP. THEM. NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

- tile re-draw
- Arcane TD lags allot
- refresh rates in general
- apps would open faster.
- Fusion sentient lags a little and slow loading
- every thing would just work faster.
- allow for better FPS ( to run as smoth as Iphone , like in angry bird and fruity ninjaect..)

honestly you wouldn’t really notice the different unless you have a D.C and a S.C next to each other both running WP7.5

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
-

Its magic!

Anyway the OP is right. Who cares? Buy whatever phone you want. You might as well start arguing dual vs quad while you're at it. By the time anything really starts needing dual core our little ole phones will be old and decrepit. As far as games go. Why are we arguing CPU? Our phones don't have the gpu power and probably could use more ram.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
- tile re-draw
- Arcane TD lags allot
- allow for better FPS ( to run as smoth as Iphone , like in angry bird and fruity ninjaect..)

honestly you wouldn’t really notice the different unless you have a D.C and a S.C next to each other both running WP7.5

Try running those on the 2nd gen devices with their faster GPU and see what the performance is like.

Seems there are a few, but only a few situations that dual core would bring real benefits to WP7. Only one I can think of is 1080p video recording, games not so much as the bigger issue here is native code access.

Not averse to better tech but is there really that much to be gained from dual cores at the moment, apart from good PR?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Try running those on the 2nd gen devices with their faster GPU and see what the performance is like.

Seems there are a few, but only a few situations that dual core would bring real benefits to WP7. Only one I can think of is 1080p video recording, games not so much as the bigger issue here is native code access.

Not averse to better tech but is there really that much to be gained from dual cores at the moment, apart from good PR?

yeah i know they run better on the second GEN phones for sure.... like it or not . Duel-core would still make the phone smother lol , but like i said in the previous post , you wouldn’t really see a different unless you compared the phones next to each other, and even at that it be hard to tell.

what you referring too when talking about the Native code access??

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
yeah i know they run better on the second GEN phones for sure.... like it or not . Duel-core would still make the phone smother lol , but like i said in the previous post , you wouldn?t really see a different unless you compared the phones next to each other, and even at that it be hard to tell.

what you referring too when talking about the Native code access??

This: http://www.windowscentral.com/unity-gaming-platform-skipping-windows-phone. Game engines like Unreal would require native access which MS does not allow. Biggest factor preventing better gaming on WP7.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Scrolling
Applications launch
IE is horribly slot at times
Music app when moving from one song to another
Marketplace searching

There are more, but I tend to overlook them. These are just the ones that I notice happening a lot. It's listed in order of how bad the problem is.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
he said that games are capped at 30fps and I told him that such a cap was removed so therefore he's misinformed.

it has a 60FPS cap Guaranty!!!!

BUT!!!

their is a workaround to allow you to remove the CAP and allow the game to run as fast as the Hardware will allow you. (wich is a bad idea cause its probny gona slow down the phone more then any thing , but possible )

Confirmed cap: Mango Season: A Detailed Tour of the new WP7.5 ?Mango? by guest contributor; Zulu69 | ( do a ctrl-f and type in FPS (gaming section) )

MS Dev forum(how to remove cap): Remove FPS Cap? - App Hub Forums

Again you provided no facts to back up your comment. Se1fcr3ation did. You are just repeating stuff you read on other sites or something.

Have not double checked but it seems that every new DC is able to shoot 1080p so getting DC quickly will keep WP aligned with competition. Of course not everyone needs to shoot in 1080p and some do it more poorly than a 720p phone but its still important to keep with the features the competition has. There are only a few situations that DC really helps but why cant we have these features?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok, WTF is up with the tile re-draw. I never use to see it, then I only saw it when scrolling really really fast, now I see it just browsing the apps/tile I have on my home screen at a normal pace. Mango beta/beta 2 never had this issue.
- tile re-draw
- Arcane TD lags allot

honestly you wouldn?t really notice the different unless you have a D.C and a S.C next to each other both running WP7.5

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Again you provided no facts to back up your comment. Se1fcr3ation did. You are just repeating stuff you read on other sites or something.

put it this way...

if a DEVELOPOER is asking how to take off the 60FPS for his MANGO APP on a OFFICIAL Dev web site HOSTED by MS and answered by a MS member?.

i use simple comment sens to deduct answers , unfortunately not everyone has comment sense.

simpson.gif

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Your first link is from the site detailing the changes in Mango state the FPS has been lifted from 30-60 so I would say your statements are based in more fact than sin_773

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Your first link is from the site detailing the changes in Mango state the FPS has been lifted from 30-60 so I would say your statements are based in more fact than sin_773

and if you go to the OFFICIAL developer forum/web site for MS , a bunch of people confirm it ( people = developers that play with it every day )

but like i said it is possible to make Infinit (according to them )

ALSO! , according to them ( not me ) all first GEN phones are STUCK at 30 FPS even with mango , i dunno how true that is , but BOO ERRn if it is.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
and if you go to the OFFICIAL developer forum/web site for MS , a bunch of people confirm it ( people = developers that play with it every day )

but like i said it is possible to make Infinit (according to them )

ALSO! , according to them ( not me ) all first GEN phones are STUCK at 30 FPS even with mango , i dunno how true that is , but BOO ERRn if it is.

Think thats incorrect, wasnt Hydro Thunder updated to 60fps when it got updated for Mango? http://www.windowscentral.com/hydro-thunder-go-has-gone-all-mango-us. So far thought I think its the only one that has been updated to 60fps.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Think thats incorrect, wasnt Hydro Thunder updated to 60fps when it got updated for Mango? http://www.windowscentral.com/hydro-thunder-go-has-gone-all-mango-us. So far thought I think its the only one that has been updated to 60fps.

The framerate was fixed and released before Mango; it had something to do with resolution that they fixed in code behind the scenes (the game developer) and not because of the 60fps Manifest code. I know because I downloaded the new version on my Arrive and noticed the framerate difference (still not the best) a couple of weeks before Mango dropped. When Mango dropped they updated it again to take advantage of Mango, but the fps never changed.

"The game is not 60fps, verified by code level. Also the native resolution is 400x240 then upscaled to 800x400 due the limited performance of the 1st Gen GPU.Somehow the code is optimized by the new SDK thus less frame skip but still less than 30fps most of time"

I think the 60fps has to do with some games being "hand-drawn" (or some type of special drawing) that will overrule the fact that our hardware is too old to run at a smooth 60fps (Parachute Panic and Robot Riot run fine, where as Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja may not be able to run at 60fps because of the way their graphics are drawn)

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
the cap was removed in mango so now it's up to the game devs to take advantage of it. Once again u are misinformed
WRONG. You are misinformed.

Microsoft maxmized the cap to 60 fps in mango. It's still capped.

So you're the one that's misinformed as I was correct all along.

he said that games are capped at 30fps and I told him that such a cap was removed so therefore he's misinformed.
I never said that games were capped at 30fps. I said that games were just capped. Seems like you were too busy trying to find a comeback that you overlooked that.

Fail troll is fail once again

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
It's annoying that Microsoft can't even provide the update patches to the games that they tagged as "Microsoft X-Box Live Titles" to Mango. They made it sound so simple and that the 60fps comes "free out of the box" and that it's simply declaring in the manifest file (or w/e...don't remember of the top of my head, but I know it's basically a one-liner), yet they can't even update the apps and games that people will search for FIRST when using a WP7 device.

The first games I looked for were Fruit Ninja and Angry Birds. After I started playing them it I was so upset. My wife's prepaid StraightTalk Android device runs Fruit Ninja at 60fps smooth, but the homescreen and entire OS lags like ****; it makes no sense that Microsoft hasn't updated these to 60fps by now (especially Kinnectimals, which they just released).
Microsoft should market (as well as have carriers market) WP7 better to get more handsets in the hands of ppl because if they don't, devs will continue to look into iOS and Android, where they'll be making the most money due to their popularity.

Also, all phones can lag. There isn't any one phone that won't. The iOS is the smoothest OS out there (no, WP7 is not smoother than iOS...I've owned and compared both) and it can still have its hiccups. Install iOS 4 or 5 on an original iPhone or a 3G and it's slower than a MyTouch running Eclair. Same with iOS5 on the 3GS.

The problem with Android is that Google makes the OS and let's manufacturers put it on their phones, so that means Google doesn't code the OS on any specific devices. If Google made their own hardware and put Android on it, it would have all the GPU acceleration and glittery animations that are present on iOS, WP7 and BB7.

Whether you like it or not, fragmentation is inevitable. Older hardware eventually cannot sustain newer and more advanced software. A lot of companies do this just to get you to spend money on newer hardware. It's kind of like Apple only allowing Siri on the 4s.

Your wife's phone lagged because her phone lacks sufficient hardware. Like others said, Android is a resource hog compared to WP7. If her phone had 1GB of RAM there would probably be no lag.

Last edited:

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree i Like faster phones. RIGHT NOW WP runs fine on a single core processor. I would suspect that MS is working on dual core technology for WP and by the time weneed them they will have them for us. By that time I suspect that android will probably need quad or otcacore processors, and all the same people who pine and whine about not having dual core will be whining and pining for octacore devices because WP doesnt have them.

That's because Microsoft released Windows phone 7 will hardware that was already becoming upgraded with Android and iOS.

It helps a lot with marketing/getting phones into the hands of customers. All the while those phones are faster at completing tasks as well.

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Scrolling
Applications launch
IE is horribly slot at times
Music app when moving from one song to another
Marketplace searching

There are more, but I tend to overlook them. These are just the ones that I notice happening a lot. It's listed in order of how bad the problem is.
I don't notice any lag in any of those on my HD7 or arrive. Maybe u need to switch to a faster carrier (T-mobile) or use WiFi.
Microsoft should market (as well as have carriers market) WP7 better to get more handsets in the hands of ppl because if they don't, devs will continue to look into iOS and Android, where they'll be making the most money due to their popularity.

Also, all phones can lag. There isn't any one phone that won't. The iOS is the smoothest OS out there (no, WP7 is not smoother than iOS...I've owned and compared both) and it can still have its hiccups. Install iOS 4 or 5 on an original iPhone or a 3G and it's slower than a MyTouch running Eclair. Same with iOS5 on the 3GS.

The problem with Android is that Google makes the OS and let's manufacturers put it on their phones, so that means Google doesn't code the OS on any specific devices. If Google made their own hardware and put Android on it, it would have all the GPU acceleration and glittery animations that are present on iOS, WP7 and BB7.

Whether you like it or not, fragmentation is inevitable. Older hardware eventually cannot sustain newer and more advanced software. A lot of companies do this just to get you to spend money on newer hardware. It's kind of like Apple only allowing Siri on the 4s.

Your wife's phone lagged because her phone lacks sufficient hardware. Like others said, Android is a resource hog compared to WP7. If her phone had 1GB of RAM there would probably be no lag.

whoa whoa wait a minute! How is WP7 not smoother than iOS? One of my friends who installed the iOS5 upgrade complained that it made her iPhone slower,and my arrive did things faster than my cousin's iPhone4, safari crashes on intensive sites whereas at most in IE the tab will just go out (this happens to me once a week at the most). Goto this site in an android or iOS browser and see what happens: Las Tangas and here's Qualcomm themselves saying that wp7 doesn't need dual core. http://wmpoweruser.com/qualcomm-windows-phone-7-does-not-need-dual-core-processors/

Last edited:

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't notice any lag in any of those on my HD7 or arrive. Maybe u need to switch to a faster carrier (T-mobile) or use WiFi.

whoa whoa wait a minute! How is WP7 not smoother than iOS? One of my friends who installed the iOS5 upgrade complained that it made her iPhone slower,and my arrive did things faster than my cousin's iPhone4, safari crashes on intensive sites whereas at most in IE the tab will just go out (this happens to me once a week at the most). Goto this site in an android or iOS browser and see what happens: Las Tangas and here's Qualcomm themselves saying that wp7 doesn't need dual core. Qualcomm: Windows Phone 7 does not need dual core processors | WMPoweruser

That website is very intensive. Navigating around the page was smooth but it stuttered quite a bit.

But if that's the way you want it, load up this site on your Windows phone: gifs forum

I tested gifs on iOS, Android and WP7. I sometimes visit that site and on my HD7 the gifs were very laggy and not fast/smooth like on a computer.

On my Sensation and bro's iPad 2, the gifs were smooth.

I take it this has something to do with Java and how Internet Explorer on Windows phone isn't a WebKit based browser. Idk....

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
That website is very intensive. Navigating around the page was smooth but it stuttered quite a bit.

But if that's the way you want it, load up this site on your Windows phone: gifs forum

I tested gifs on iOS, Android and WP7. I sometimes visit that site and on my HD7 the gifs were very laggy and not fast/smooth like on a computer.

On my Sensation and bro's iPad 2, the gifs were smooth.

I take it this has something to do with Java and how Internet Explorer on Windows phone isn't a WebKit based browser. Idk....
both those sites loaded and scrolled fine for me, the one I listed tho takes out safari mobile very quickly

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
both those sites loaded and scrolled fine for me, the one I listed tho takes out safari mobile very quickly

No mobile browser is perfect.

When I had my HD7 I found a lot of sites I visit tended to lag. One of my gripes with IE9 Mobile (I even made a thread about this and other WP7 users agreed) is that typing in text fields in the browser isn't very responsive. It lags. I'm making this post from my phone and the text input is very responsive. Gifs also load smoothly with no lag unlike my HD7.

So really, every OS lags here and there. No OS is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire