CarrierIQ Spyware (Seems Very Nasty)

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
General question... regarding Windows Phones, who would have the final say whether or not a carriers are allowed to install CIQ's? Microsoft?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
General question... regarding Windows Phones, who would have the final say whether or not a carriers are allowed to install CIQ's? Microsoft?
I would think MS would have to approve as well as enable it. They can hack anything into Android, but WP is closed so MS would have to bake it into the OS or give them a backdoor into the OS to make it work.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I would think MS would have to approve as well as enable it. They can hack anything into Android, but WP is closed so MS would have to bake it into the OS or give them a backdoor into the OS to make it work.

This is what I was thinking, which leads me to my next question... how the **** did they manage to get it on the iPhone?

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
This is what I was thinking, which leads me to my next question... how the **** did they manage to get it on the iPhone?

apple put it on ios themselves..

I'm surprised they aren't selling it as a feature yet

"we'll teach you how to hold your phone, then boost your phones IQ with carrier IQ!"

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
apple put it on ios themselves..

I'm surprised they aren't selling it as a feature yet

"we'll teach you how to hold your phone, then boost your phones IQ with carrier IQ!"

PMSL. That would be right! :D

I'm not sure what's worse... being so open that you don't mind carriers putting it on or putting it on yourself?!?

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Apple must have consented to CIQ in their devices. Fortunately, it supposed to only run when the Diagnostic setting is set to send data and is easy to disable.

AT&T has confirmed the HTC Vivid, one of the new LTE phones, ships w/CIQ, but of course it's likely not the only one. ****, the device I'm tapping on right now probably has it. :(

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
PMSL. That would be right! :D

I'm not sure what's worse... being so open that you don't mind carriers putting it on or putting it on yourself?!?
One would think putting it on yourself is worse but Apple, PR geniuses that they are, would find a way to spin this and say "we put it on but we control what it collects." Since people still trust Apple (I actually trust Apple way more than Google, btw), Apple will come out clean.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Since this is a CarrierIQ thread, here's a link to discussion about it for Blackberry's if anyone is interested:

http://forums.crackberry.com/general-discussion-f2/carrier-iq-spyware-blackberrys-too-674331/

Someone did manually install it on an old BB (they have Blackberry OTA software right on their (CIQ) website), he said it was clearly visible as a third party App and it asked for tons of Permissions, however no Icon. I think its safe to say, if its on Blackberry's, its pretty easy to find.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
The iOS version seems to be related only to when the phone is in diagnostic mode, and by default is off and not tracking anything at all, any of the time. iOS logs also store much less info than Android anyway, so even if Apple did install it it seems to (a) do nothing 99% of the time and (b) seeing as it's a diagnostic tool only active in diagnostic mode, actually be being used for legit purposes anyway.

As opposed to logging every keystroke you make all the time, for example. :)

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
The iOS version seems to be related only to when the phone is in diagnostic mode, and by default is off and not tracking anything at all, any of the time. iOS logs also store much less info than Android anyway, so even if Apple did install it it seems to (a) do nothing 99% of the time and (b) seeing as it's a diagnostic tool only active in diagnostic mode, actually be being used for legit purposes anyway.

who knows how valid that is, and how much if it is media bias...

Seems like any time apple screws up the media turns it into something good they are doing for the good of the planet lol

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

source your information please

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
One would think putting it on yourself is worse but Apple, PR geniuses that they are, would find a way to spin this and say "we put it on but we control what it collects." Since people still trust Apple (I actually trust Apple way more than Google, btw), Apple will come out clean.

Talking with others in other corners of the tinternet, I was informed that Google don't have any control over what the carriers put on their handsets; they operate under a apache license. As for Apple, I wonder why they didn't just implement the data recording software themselves?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
With the Patriot Act in the U.S., I thought all carriers were required now to keep logs of all phone calls, internet sites visited and emails for so many days.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
With the Patriot Act in the U.S., I thought all carriers were required now to keep logs of all phone calls, internet sites visited and emails for so many days.

did you see the video of what it was logging? Every single keystroke. Even for HTTPS data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss