CarrierIQ Spyware (Seems Very Nasty)

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
With the Patriot Act in the U.S., I thought all carriers were required now to keep logs of all phone calls, internet sites visited and emails for so many days.
They can do this without installing any software on the phone. Carrier IQ does way more than this.

FriendOrDafoe

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
[rant]
I hate stuff like this. I also dislike how google logs everything you send in gmail to target more advertising at you. Google might definatly be the worst company EVER.

[rant/]

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Before I get uppity about not having CIQ on my Titan chances are Microsoft probably has their own intrusive logging system. My only hope is that it's not intrusive as CIQ (and logging every key press is pretty damn intrusive). I sympathize with the CarrierIQ and the carriers to a very (very) small degree. Knowing how and why devices malfunction is extremely important for them to know. However, information about crashes or glitches should only be logged when they happen. Logging every single thing you do on your phone is simply too much information for any wireless carrier to have.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
[rant]
I hate stuff like this. I also dislike how google logs everything you send in gmail to target more advertising at you. Google might definatly be the worst company EVER.

[rant/]

That's part of the reason I don't use a lot of Google services. It's not because I'm against Google it's because I don't want targeted ads or more advertisements.

FriendOrDafoe

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
That's part of the reason I don't use a lot of Google services. It's not because I'm against Google it's because I don't want targeted ads or more advertisements.

Its terrible, and it just gets worse. I think I heared somewhere (cant remember where so it might not be reliable) that they basically build this big profile on you. all of your google searches, gmail emails, gdocs, etc, (if you use chrome) then the sites you visit, and they search all of it for keywords to target advertising at you. I feel violated.

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Its terrible, and it just gets worse. I think I heared somewhere (cant remember where so it might not be reliable) that they basically build this big profile on you. all of your google searches, gmail emails, gdocs, etc, (if you use chrome) then the sites you visit, and they search all of it for keywords to target advertising at you. I feel violated.

Well they can track you without using apps like this. Lets say via satellites, GPS, distance between mobile radio towers etc. There are many ways to do this :)

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
TBQH, I'm more concerned with how much battery that process is draining doing what it's doing that if they're stealing information (which I don't think they would, because it's not like they can remote uninstall the software and once someone found out they knew there would be a s**t fit)...

IRT Google Services. Microsoft does the exact same thing.

Why do you think companies have taken to requiring you to have an account for their services to use their devices/OSes? Windows Live for WP7. Google Account for Android. Wonder why they lock down some services on their devices?

That's just something you have to deal with if you use computer (smartphones especially) these days.

Think it's a bit disingenuous to single out Google when Microsoft has almost as many services and uses the same tactics to gather information.

How do you think their services improve, otherwise? - assuming you aren't ignorantly believing that they're siphoning Google Search Results and things like that...

What I do hate about Google Chrome is that it adds an update task to the Task Scheduler when you install it without even prompting you. That is a showstopper for me. It's borderline malware behavior...

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I could care less if I'm being tracked by my carrier or they read my SMS. I expect that actually. But this is basically a keylogger than can read things you think are encrypted. Hidden and can't be disabled or even warned its doing so. Beyond that, is the data going to Carrier IQ themselves? Why should a 3rd party get that info. What would happen if this info became compromised?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I could care less if I'm being tracked by my carrier or they read my SMS. I expect that actually. But this is basically a keylogger than can read things you think are encrypted. Hidden and can't be disabled or even warned its doing so. Beyond that, is the data going to Carrier IQ themselves? Why should a 3rd party get that info. What would happen if this info became compromised?

I think that is really what we all want to know. If all that information is being sent to the carriers encrypted or not why do they need to know my passwords. I thing we all need to make sure this doesn't just go away we need to push this till we have answers to all your questions and all of mine. We see what this software logs now we need to know without a dought what is sent where it is sent and we have the right to be able to turn it off. I rooted and installed custom roms on all the Andy's in my house until this gets resolved.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
This is illegal regardless of who gets the info and how it's used. What we need to find out is who all is complicit in all this.

Right now, the carriers, mfgs, and IQC are working to cover themselves. The claims of ignorance and fingerpointing will increase. I really hope heads roll.

I agree, don't see myself using an un-rooted Android device.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
So, T-Mo admitted they embedded Carrier IQ in their "My Account" preinstalled bloatware, on Blackberry's. Even though no one has reported it on WP, I wonder if someone with the know-how could look through carrier bloatware on WP and make sure it's not there.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
OK, so I've read that WP7 doesn't have it and that there are specific carriers that use it or allow it's use. Now, my twist and question is: Is it impossible for CIQ to be run on WP7 devices? Curious because, from what I've read, Sprint was a big user of it and had it installed on nearly everything they sold. Just wondering if it could be possible to be running on my WP7 Arrive?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234