Delayed Facebook notifications

farooknaji

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I've just switched from Android (running MIUI Rom on my Galaxy S) to Windows Phone on a HTC Titan running 7740. One of the things that's bugging me (other than toasts disappearing and no central store of notifications) is that Facebook notifications for me always seem to be 5 minutes delayed. If someone sends me a Facebook message or posts on my wall, the notification always takes 5 minutes to come through to my phone. This happens whether i'm on Wifi or 3G. I've got notifications set to 'As they arrive' but the delay persists. This is especially annoying when someone sees my Facebook status as Online and tries chatting to me and all my replies are 5 minutes late.

Is this the same for everyone on Mango? My outlook/exchange notifications come through instantly so I wonder if this is a Facebook issue or if its the Windows Phone implementation of push notifications.

I also find the Facebook Live Tile is slow to update - it will show I have a notification, i'll read that notification but the Live Tile doesn't update for a while.

Replies are much appreciated!

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
It varies for me. Sometimes I will get it, almost as soon as it happens. Other times I will notice it's 4 hours old.

It would be nice to have more consistency.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I haven't noticed.

So, when you say someone chatted you, do you mean the Facebook chat? That comes through on your messages tile? Or just a wall posting?

farooknaji

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I haven't noticed.

So, when you say someone chatted you, do you mean the Facebook chat? That comes through on your messages tile? Or just a wall posting?

Any of the above.

When someone starts a facebook chat with me through the website, it doesn't show up in my Messages on windows phone until about 5 minutes later.

Same thing for Wall postings.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I am running on WiFi only, so I might can be used as a controlled variable. As long as I have my connection, I always receive my chats and notifications as soon as they happen.

I wonder if there might be a setting in WP that delays notifications when running on wireless as to preserve battery.

farooknaji

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I can't connect to wifi right now but i'm sure this was the same when I was connected to wifi at home last night. I've just done a test by sending an e-mail to my gmail account and it's been 3 minutes so far and the push notification hasn't arrived. I have a feeling 5 minutes is the magic number for some reason...

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I am running on WiFi only, so I might can be used as a controlled variable. As long as I have my connection, I always receive my chats and notifications as soon as they happen.

I wonder if there might be a setting in WP that delays notifications when running on wireless as to preserve battery.

Facebook notifications are slow as he'll. How's this for control: vibrant, HD7, and iTouch all on the same WiFi connection.

The HD7 is often minutes behind the others. It misses half the push notifications from Facebook chat, as well, I've Noticed.

WP7 needs a Facebook messages application, too. The chat client doesn't work for people chatting with you through Facebook messaging interface and the full Facebook app is too sluggish for that kind of use imo.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DrKofi

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I have noticed this too, but It just grew on me I guess. It's the same with the notifications for Xbox live messages. I think almost every app has some notification delay on WP7.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It's mostly third party and non-stock apps that suffer from the Notification lag. It's really noticeable when you carry two (or three) different devices hooked into the same services (Facebook, IM Clients, etc.).

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Facebook notifications are slow as he'll. How's this for control: vibrant, HD7, and iTouch all on the same WiFi connection.

The HD7 is often minutes behind the others. It misses half the push notifications from Facebook chat, as well, I've Noticed.

WP7 needs a Facebook messages application, too. The chat client doesn't work for people chatting with you through Facebook messaging interface and the full Facebook app is too sluggish for that kind of use imo.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

I think the most sensible solution would be for Microsoft to negotiate with Facebook to get make the Windows Phone app 'official'.

Separate chats go against the one thing that makes Windows Phone different from the competition - the integration.

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I've just switched from Android (running MIUI Rom on my Galaxy S) to Windows Phone on a HTC Titan running 7740. One of the things that's bugging me (other than toasts disappearing and no central store of notifications) is that Facebook notifications for me always seem to be 5 minutes delayed. If someone sends me a Facebook message or posts on my wall, the notification always takes 5 minutes to come through to my phone. This happens whether i'm on Wifi or 3G. I've got notifications set to 'As they arrive' but the delay persists. This is especially annoying when someone sees my Facebook status as Online and tries chatting to me and all my replies are 5 minutes late.

Is this the same for everyone on Mango? My outlook/exchange notifications come through instantly so I wonder if this is a Facebook issue or if its the Windows Phone implementation of push notifications.

I also find the Facebook Live Tile is slow to update - it will show I have a notification, i'll read that notification but the Live Tile doesn't update for a while.

Replies are much appreciated!

I don't use MS Facebook to chat with FB user. I set my Messaging "Available", and create threads chat and i really love it. YOu can tell if FB user are online and you can chat with anyone through there.

farooknaji

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't use MS Facebook to chat with FB user. I set my Messaging "Available", and create threads chat and i really love it. YOu can tell if FB user are online and you can chat with anyone through there.

I do the same, but i still get that major lag for the push notifications. Another irritating thing is that there are no toast notifications for notifications in the Me Hub. So I rely on the Facebook App to provide those notifications and when you click on the Facebook Toast notification, it doesn't take you to the notification itself (or even the notifications page in facebook) but just to the 'Most Recent' news feed page. I love the look and feel of the app, just notifications need work!

Don't Microsoft own a 10% private stake in Facebook? You'd think they'd have some leverage to provide a better facebook experience than on iOS. Mind you, they own Skype and still can't get an app out for that! How hard could it be for one of the largest technology companies in the world to sort these things out. Still, I'm really liking Windows Phone and it's a damn sight better than Android was after 1 year. I just hope MS listens to users and release significant updates to the OS.

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
My Facebook notifications are late also, sometimes hours late. Even on WiFi. Although my Facebook chat comes through instantly like a SMS. But everything else has a delay. I rarely see my ME tile update with new notifications. Frustrating.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the most sensible solution would be for Microsoft to negotiate with Facebook to get make the Windows Phone app 'official'.

Separate chats go against the one thing that makes Windows Phone different from the competition - the integration.

What are you talking about? The problem is the Windows Phone integration precisely.

If you want I can record a video to demonstrate the differences.

WP7 basically ripped off TouchWiz Social Hub and the FriendStream stuff in Sense. It's not different from the competition. The Social/People Hub concept has been in use in smartphones since 2009. Even the HD2 had that...

Odeira.Oloap

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
In my case, I can say that it DOES occur...

Though it *only* really does when I get notifications one after another (For instance, when a friend of mine comments on a picture on my profile and another friend comments, to the point that a conversation of sorts erupts in the picture)

When I get new notifications once in a few hours, it shows up quickly, though...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12