Windows Phone feature wish-list

JasonG83

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
As good as Windows Phone is, it can be better. This is a list of features/fixes that I believe Microsoft should include in future updates, which don't conflict with the design philosophy of WP's simple, and fluid interface (i.e., I don't think there should be multiple home screens)

1. Ability to kill apps from the task switching screen (similar to the tab screen in IE). Some apps have very deep menus, and hitting the back key 8 times just to close it is nonsense.

2. Option for vibration email alerts

3. Indicator light for notifications

4. Week view in calendar

5. A redesigned month view in calendar (make it zoomable, or use color blocks to indicate appointments, or something. It is basically useless, as is)

6. The clock scroll for setting alarms and appointments should be in 15 minute intervals. There is no need to have to scroll through 60 individual minutes. If you need the alarm to be more precise, there can be an option where you manually type the time (ala Blackberry)

7. [Also ala Blackberry] Have the space key auto insert "@" and "." when typing in email fields

8. Visual voicemail

9. Option for left-handed orientation of the app list/home screen divide

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
2. I get vibrations for emails

6. Don't agree

Additional:
1. "Folder" button in outlook. "Select" button is duplicative with just tapping to the left of an item

2. Back/Forward in IE

3. Option to set default "phone" view as a dialer instead of history

4. Batch deletion ability for text messages (similar to the select functionality in outlook)

JasonG83

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
@ TheWeeBear. Thanks, I figured there must be a list somewhere but I couldn't find it. However, I still think there should be a new list, because that thread is almost all pre-Mango

@ red grenadine. How did you get your phone to vibrate for emails? Does that only work for Exchange? I have a Gmail and a Pop-3 account, and I get no vibration for either. Also, on #6, I would be willing to compromise at 5 minute intervals :)

Last edited:

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Task manager

1. Ability to kill apps from the task switching screen (similar to the tab screen in IE).
Can I ask why you want this? What is the motivation for being able to kill an app; what problem do you solve?

I came to WP7 from WM6 and so I initially really wanted a task manager and a way to kill apps. Once I understood that virtually no third-party apps run in the background, I realized that such apps couldn't be draining my battery or slowing the active app. Once I learned that WP7 would throw inactive apps out of memory if more memory was needed for the active app , I realized that my active app wouldn't run slower just because some other app was loaded.

With battery life and app performance protected, I can't think of another reason to want to close apps, other than to clean up a list of five recently-loaded apps.

That said, I don't want to sound like iPhone apologists did a few years ago when they all but embraced Steve Jobs telling them that they shouldn't wan to multitask (or hold their phones in the left hands). I do want more multi-tasking, after which we will likely need a way to manage apps. Until then, I don't see it. However, maybe you do. Let me know. Thanks.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
8. Visual voicemail
This feature is already included in Mango, as to whether your carrier allows for it is a different story.

Edit: I see you have the Focus S which would mean you have AT&T... someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe (for some idiotic reason) AT&T isn't allowing VVM on Windows Phone at the moment...

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
If you are on ATT Jason they are still testing it although they have said in the past they will allow it on the network. But thats been more than a few months and nothing more as of yet!

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Ability to see new texts/emails in "Me" and be able to send both as well. That would be awesome.

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
@ TheWeeBear. Thanks, I figured there must be a list somewhere but I couldn't find it. However, I still think there should be a new list, because that thread is almost all pre-Mango

@ red grenadine. How did you get your phone to vibrate for emails? Does that only work for Exchange? I have a Gmail and a Pop-3 account, and I get no vibration for either. Also, on #6, I would be willing to compromise at 5 minute intervals :)

Believe you have to turn on an alert sound for new emails. The default is none.

Then switch the phone profile to vibrate and should vibrate upon email receipt

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Can I ask why you want this? What is the motivation for being able to kill an app; what problem do you solve?

I came to WP7 from WM6 and so I initially really wanted a task manager and a way to kill apps. Once I understood that virtually no third-party apps run in the background, I realized that such apps couldn't be draining my battery or slowing the active app. Once I learned that WP7 would throw inactive apps out of memory if more memory was needed for the active app , I realized that my active app wouldn't run slower just because some other app was loaded.

With battery life and app performance protected, I can't think of another reason to want to close apps, other than to clean up a list of five recently-loaded apps.

That said, I don't want to sound like iPhone apologists did a few years ago when they all but embraced Steve Jobs telling them that they shouldn't wan to multitask (or hold their phones in the left hands). I do want more multi-tasking, after which we will likely need a way to manage apps. Until then, I don't see it. However, maybe you do. Let me know. Thanks.

People are OCD. People don't want to scroll through a "multitask" list that has items they don't want. It's a simple change that hundreds (going by the suggestion site) want, just put it in.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Send a text to someone. Press home. Open ie. press home. When they reply, tap the toast to open the thread. Press and hold back button.

Graz two duplicate SMS threads in your multitasking list.

That's why they need to let us swipe apps off the screen to close them.

It happens for other apps as well.

Also a waste of device resources since it seems multitasking for some apps has little to no process management/reuse (creating duplicates instead of using the existing process).

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss