Who didn't see this coming....

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It seems unlikely that EU regulators would allow MS to buy Nokia, since so many think they collapsed Nokia's stock price just so they could make the purchase.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That's what I was thinking. Many people have been vocal about that being the plan the entire time. Especially a lot of the old Symbian people who use to work there.
It seems unlikely that EU regulators would allow MS to buy Nokia, since so many think they collapsed Nokia's stock price just so they could make the purchase.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Not going to happen because of channel conflict - this is why Microsoft have no interest in making their own PCs, Tablets or phones.

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the Lumia 800 supposed to be selling like hot cakes in release countries? With such a runaway success, why would a company with a bright future be looking to sell itself?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
MS makes MAJOR money off software sales on PCs and Tablets. How are they making money from WP7 software sales? I think the PC/Tablet market is totally different from the cellphone market. The OS is free on phones.
Not going to happen because of channel conflict - this is why Microsoft have no interest in making their own PCs, Tablets or phones.
They are going to do what google did. Buy them, but let them run independently.

mike311

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
MS makes MAJOR money off software sales on PCs and Tablets. How are they making money from WP7 software sales? I think the PC/Tablet market is totally different from the cellphone market. The OS is free on phones.

The handset manufacturers still pay licensing, just like when you buy a pc the pc maker paid Microsoft a licensing fee, its relatively cheap since they buy in bulk but its still paid for nontheess. Apple doesn't do this since they make their own hardware. Google gave its OS away for free which is why it was so popular, but since Google doesn't make any money selling android, Microsoft has IP licensing deals with the manufacturers since Google infringed so many patents.

Microsoft sells WP7 to handset manufacturers just like it does for pc makers and will for tablets.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
At a fraction of the cost and with a micro-fraction of the volume.
The handset manufacturers still pay licensing, just like when you buy a pc the pc maker paid Microsoft a licensing fee, its relatively cheap since they buy in bulk but its still paid for nontheess. Apple doesn't do this since they make their own hardware. Google gave its OS away for free which is why it was so popular, but since Google doesn't make any money selling android, Microsoft has IP licensing deals with the manufacturers since Google infringed so many patents.

Microsoft sells WP7 to handset manufacturers just like it does for pc makers and will for tablets.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
They are going to do what google did. Buy them, but let them run independently.

It has never worked in the past (see Palm OS, Symbian) and we don't actually know how it will impact google because that deal hasn't happened yet - for Microsoft to do this would represent a cultural shift I don't think exists.

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the Lumia 800 supposed to be selling like hot cakes in release countries? With such a runaway success, why would a company with a bright future be looking to sell itself?
Yes, it's true, Nokia Lumia 800 and now 710 is selling very well all around the world. Nokia and MS have close partnership and that's the story of that. I read that RIM is thinking to adopt Windows Phone 7.5 UI for their phones...

http://www.windowscentral.com/investment-firm-calls-rim-adopt-windows-phone-os

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I think it would be more likely to see more partnerships like Nokia's with Microsoft.

I bet RIM (Blackberry) will be using the WP7 OS soon :) Hopefully a partnership with MS like Nokia did.
The Future Looks Grim for RIM - Yahoo! Finance
Investment firm calls for RIM to adopt Windows Phone OS

There is also some speculation that Tango will bring the correct screen dimensions for Blackberry like devices:
"Chassis 2, long thought to be the front-qwerty/BlackBerry style device, will reportedly offer 480x320 resolution in the "Tango" release as well as LTE support, sometime in early 2012."
Rumor: Windows Phone Tango and Apollo to finally offer new screen resolutions

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I think it would be more likely to see more partnerships like Nokia's with Microsoft.

I bet RIM (Blackberry) will be using the WP7 OS soon :) Hopefully a partnership with MS like Nokia did.
The Future Looks Grim for RIM - Yahoo! Finance
Investment firm calls for RIM to adopt Windows Phone OS

There is also some speculation that Tango will bring the correct screen dimensions for Blackberry like devices:
"Chassis 2, long thought to be the front-qwerty/BlackBerry style device, will reportedly offer 480x320 resolution in the "Tango" release as well as LTE support, sometime in early 2012."
Rumor: Windows Phone Tango and Apollo to finally offer new screen resolutions

RIM will definitely not adopt wp7...

They have too much riding on qnx to not at least give it a shot.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Didn't Google buy Motorola? How would this be different?

I think the size is probably the biggest difference. Nokia has about 130,000 people working for them, Motorola had 60,000 in 2010. Though Nokia bought Motorola's network business this year so the difference is even bigger now. Nokia also has 11 factories around the world and shipped 450 million phones last year. Nokia might have been big with software with Symbian at the time, but really, it's all about hardware.

It really sounds kind of a nightmare company for MS to get. Anything is possible (nobody thought Nokia was going to leave Symbian and Qt last year), but i doubt MS is seeking more than a partnership. MS and Nokia share patents already, probably the main reason for anybody to get Nokia as it owns around 60% of all GSM patents out there and spends most to R&D in the industry.

RIM will definitely not adopt wp7...

They have too much riding on qnx to not at least give it a shot.

That was what Nokia was up to with Qt last year, but they could not get it done in time.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion