Problems editing the APN for my Titan

charms55

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for any help from someone concerning my Titan on Softbank in Japan. The carrier refuses to support me. I have moved my SIM card from my iPhone 3GS to the Titan. I currently have phone capabilities and seemingly sporadic messaging. But no data connection.

I am on an unlimited flat-rate package that should cost me roughly 5000yen per month.

Anybody who can give me a hand, it is greatly appreciated! I want my full Windows Phone 7! Been waiting a year!

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Titan is HTC, right? Do you have the HTC app called 'Connection Setup'? The first thing I would do is try running that. It's supposed to setup your phone appropriately for whatever carrier you are on/switch to.

dragonide

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for any help from someone concerning my Titan on Softbank in Japan. The carrier refuses to support me. I have moved my SIM card from my iPhone 3GS to the Titan. I currently have phone capabilities and seemingly sporadic messaging. But no data connection.

I am on an unlimited flat-rate package that should cost me roughly 5000yen per month.

Anybody who can give me a hand, it is greatly appreciated! I want my full Windows Phone 7! Been waiting a year!

Hi !!
I'll try to explain what I know (I have the HTC Titan and I had to solve a similar problem not so long ago ... but I live in Italy and my provider is Vodafone)

There are 2 ways to set APN on an HTC WP Device :
1) Settings -> Mobile Network -> Add/Modify Apn
2) 'Connection Setup' -> Select Country -> Select Provider

'Connection Setup' is an HTC app that is installed in the ROM delivered with the device. 'Connection Setup' automatically sets the APN according to the detected provider during the first time you turn on your device (or when you directly use this app). The value of the APN, setted by using 'Connection Setup', is HIDDEN and has priority over the one setted by using 'Settings/Mobile Network'. If 'Connection Setup' thinks your correct apn is 'apn#1' and you set 'apn#2' in 'Settings/Mobile Network' the device will use 'apn#1'.

So you should try using 'Connection Setup' like fifthGear said ... but I warn you :
There is a possibility that 'Connection Setup' use a wrong APN for your provider ! And if it's the case, you have a big problem :)

To prevent the device using the wrong/htc apn you have to select a wrong country/provider in the 'Connection Setup' AND set the correct apn in 'Settings/Mobile Network'. Doing so the device will be forced to stop using the htc apn ...

Good Luck !

charms55

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
APN and Connection Setup

Thanks all for the help. I have tried the Connection Setup app with no success. I will have to see about the last option of setting the wrong country and then adding the other APN separately. As you noted, not without risk. I would certainly be strangled if it results in a 100,000 yen bill.

charms55

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Still nothing....

Ok, here is the score:

1. Tried the connection configuration app. No good.
2. Tried to set to wrong location and add apn. No good.
3. Uninstalled the configuration app. Seemed to do what I wanted as it then stated "Add apn" instead of edit in the Network settings, but.....No good.

I am really just about at wits end. I'm curious about a couple things. First, in the spring I actually Jailbroke my old iPhone. Obviously, same SIM, but when I replaced the phone, things likely were all reset.

Second, my wife seems to think if I try to go through one of the large electronic stores rather then through the small Softbank outlet, that one might update the card for me.

Thoughts anyone? Ideas....:mad:

charms55

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Got it! Appears more a case of all the steps at the right time with the right APN. Here is what finally transpired. There may be unrelated steps, but because there was a hint if desperation, hard to tell what was the most important:

1. Removed SIM. Returned it to iPhone as my intention was to jailbreak and unlock.
2. That process ended without success. Error stated current firmware not supported (out $29 but not caring today.
3. Applied the Connection Configuration app.
. TURNED OFF 3G.
5. Entered the APN for the Black SIM from Softbank.

After a brief churning and grinding, the phone itself turned on the 3G. Curious, I turned off my WiFi and.... Searched Bing. Checked email, hit a web site. Wandered down the street away from my WiFi... Still had connectivity.

All that remains us to sweat ut out to the end of the month to be sure the discount is applied!

pdangcil

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Can you please tell me how you were able to do this? What APN settings did you use?
I'm in Japan now too and am using the iPhone 4s sim for my Titan with no luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel