The Worst Possible Thing Happened. :P

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, I was hoping to hold out with my Imagio until a new WP came to Verizon, but last night it finally kicked the bucket. The screen has an oily film between the screens, which makes it unresponsive. I can now only call the last person that I was on the phone with (by pressing send x2).

I don't know what to do! I don't really want to switch from Verizon (unlimited data, family plan, only coverage at my parents' house), but I don't want a droid or a Trophy for two years. Maybe I could just get a pay-as-you-go SIM for my Focus for two months (when I hope Nokia comes to Verizon)?

Anyone have any suggestions?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Try to find a cheap Trophy on ebay. I see some auctions that are between the $130 - $200 range. I wouldn't use my upgrade on a Trophy.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about asking around to see if anyone has an old Verizon smartphone that they'd be willing to sell (for really cheap) or give to me for a few months. I really don't think I can make myself drop $100 for a used Trophy that I'll only use for two months. I guess it'd be cheaper than paying for two plans for two months, though.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah or get on craigslist and fin a cheap verizon phone to hold you over. I must warn you though, after using WP7, anything else is going to feel ancient! LOl.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Does Verizon give you 30 days to return a phone? You could get a Trophy as a temporary until you see what's announced at CES.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
My largest concern about switching phones is that I have to keep a smartphone on my Verizon plan in order to retain my unlimited data. That means I have to buy a smartphone from someone and it makes me too scared to try returning the phone after 30 days. It WOULD be nice to get the Galaxy Nexus until I could get a Nokia phone, though.

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
What's wrong with the trophy? Other than being relatively small (aka iphone sized instead of titan sized) it's a great phone, fast and fluid.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
What's wrong with the trophy? Other than being relatively small (aka iphone sized instead of titan sized) it's a great phone, fast and fluid.

It is a regular LCD, which is what my Imagio has (from over two years ago). I have been using the Focus, so there is no way I could use anything less than SLCD or SAMOLED. I also do not like the camera on it. It doesn't hold up to my Focus, much less a second generation WP.

I talked my sister into getting the Trophy the day it was released and she has really enjoyed it. I, however, would not like this phone for another two years. I would have been more than happy to have purchased it when it was first released, had my contract been up.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
No freakin way Verizon will have a Nokia availble by Feb.... If it were me I would just buy a trophy on ebay and go along until they do..

OH btw.. if you change phones I bet Verizon nixes your unlimitted data. I HATE VERIZON.

One more day and my contract will expire... GOODBYE VERIZON! YOU SUCK !

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I have a TP2 and a Pre Plus... :p

I would love to have one of those, but I think Reno is a bit distant. :)

No freakin way Verizon will have a Nokia availble by Feb.... If it were me I would just buy a trophy on ebay and go along until they do..

OH btw.. if you change phones I bet Verizon nixes your unlimitted data. I HATE VERIZON.

One more day and my contract will expire... GOODBYE VERIZON! YOU SUCK !

I'm really hoping they will, since Nokia should show off a Verizon phone somewhere around Jan 10-13th. Also, as long as I have a smartphone, I am grandfathered into keeping my unlimited data. I just cannot switch to a feature phone.

I, as well, hate Verizon, but they have the best coverage (in all of Eastern Texas, which is where I travel) as well as the best price, so they are my best choice.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't see you having many options if you don't want to pick up a used Trophy until one is announced then.

I'm not sure what I'd do if I were in your shoes... I have a Focus to backup my Titan and several other smartphones (iPhone 4S, Galaxy S II, BlackBerry 9930, Motorola Photon), so I'll have something to lean off of while I wait for another device.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about just buying a cheap phone from Walmart with prepaid minutes. I really don't need a smartphone, since I use the Focus more than the Imagio, anyway. I will, however, keep paying for the Imagio's plan just so I can keep my unlimited data once I get my next phone.

Arg! I just can't decide what to do!

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
If you have a Focus, and are willing to pay extra for a few months to keep your unlimited, then just take your Focus to a ATT store and get a pay as you go SIM and make sure to use Wifi alot! It is a pay as you go phone they offer, so it should just be getting the right type of SIM.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about just buying a cheap phone from Walmart with prepaid minutes. I really don't need a smartphone, since I use the Focus more than the Imagio, anyway. I will, however, keep paying for the Imagio's plan just so I can keep my unlimited data once I get my next phone.

I could never go back to not having at least one smartphone...

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I would buy a Trophy or some other smartphone off-contract for under $200 (whatever your preference - Android, iOS/iPhone, Blackberry, or even a webOS device), hold onto that for a few months, and then buy a new WP when you renew your contract. You don't have to upgrade to a new WP immediately when it becomes available; that will allow you to spread out your costs. Besides, the longer you wait, the better the WP selection on Verizon will (hopefully) become. I'm guessing your current contract with Verizon still qualifies for the new every two promotion, and it's not like that will go away if you wait a couple extra months to purchase a smartphone.

For whatever it is worth, I bought a new Trophy about a week ago, adding a second line; I really wanted to test out other mobile OS besides Android to see what I want long-term (plus I have an increasingly severe smartphone fetish :)). I bought it with the expectation that I probably will NOT go 2 years with it; I'll probably A) discontinue the line at some point due to either finances or buying a newer WP when my contract on my Droid 2 is up in late 2012 (the Droid 2 line is grandfathered in with unlimited data) or B) buy a new WP (or other non-WP smartphone, if a WP replaces the Droid 2 on that contract cycle) at full price to upgrade from the Trophy and be able to upgrade again (on the second line) roughly a year after that when the second line contract expires/is up for renewal.

Buying a smartphone off eBay or some other place at full price, while more costly in the short-term, provides more flexibility in the long-term, particularly in cases when a smartphone goes to meet its manufacturer, by allowing you to switch phones in and out of lines/contracts.

Make sure you break down the monthly costs of buying a cheap phone with prepaid minutes AND maintaining your Imagio data/voice plan vs. buying a smartphone off-contract and having it replace the Imagio. Also, I'd be conservative in my time estimate for how long it will take for there to be another WP on Verizon. Verizon almost definitely will want all future WP devices to have 4G LTE, so it may take a little time for those devices to show up on Verizon. The longer it takes one of the smartphone manufacturers to release a 4G LTE WP device on Verizon, the better the idea of buying a smartphone off-contract and replacing your Imagio with that device in the short term becomes.

Last edited:

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Getting it fixed

Have you even looked at getting your current phone fixed?

The digitizer on the screen of my LG eXpo crapped out on my and cost around $100 to get it fixed. I'm jonesin' for a new phone, but am holding out for an LTE WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos