Whats it going to take to convert IPhone/Android users to Windows Phone

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
More than anything I found Android tiring to use. I know people who happily kept their handsets with the stock ROM and so on, but I think a large proportion of Android users get it for the customisation available. In the end it was exactly that that wore me out.

If you get a mid-range or even high-end Android phone to me it always felt like it could/should be performing better. That leads to custom ROMs which can lead to a lot of problems, as well as chopping and changing of the OS and ultimately spending more time setting the phone up time and time again rather than actually enjoying using it. I know that's an example very specific to me, but I'm sure I'm not the only Android user to feel like I want something that just works and isn't an iPhone.

I could write volumes on everything that I don't like about iPhone and iOS, but I wont, suffice to say that I despite the excellent hardware, I loathe the OS and the supporting software and I'm not the only one.

Windows Phone, for me, has been a revelation compared to Android which felt like a step sideways from iOS but with a few bells on. With the Lumia I actually get to enjoy using the phone, it has made my life less complicated and it does it in a way that is gorgeous to look at and a joy to use. In short the first phone OS I haven't felt frustrated or disappointed with.

It might take Microsoft a while to establish the OS better, but they have the cash to support it for as long as it takes. I know plenty of people who are unhappy with their iPhones and their high-end Android devices who will be looking for something new come upgrade time.

WPLuver

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
What is your elevator pitch for Windows Phone

A lot of times I find myself in a position where I have 20 seconds or so to give "an elevator pitch" for Windows Phone. If you had 20 seconds to pitch a Windows Phone to an IPhone or Android user, what would you do/show them ?

Windows 8.. ah yes. Clearly Microsoft made it clear at Build this year that Windows 8 will look similar across all types of devices. Whats not clear to me is whether a scaled down version of Windows 8 will be the new Windows Phone ? or will Windows Phone continue to be a separate code-base like it is today.. fast, lean and terrific. And importantly, will the apps being created today for Windows Phone run on the next version of Windows that is targeted at the phone ? Lots of questions.

WPLuver

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
You want updates, bug fixes for your Android Phone.. wait many months

One thing with resonates well with my techie friends is that since there are so many versions of the Android codebase, it takes months for simple patches to be rolled out. And forget about major updates.

A lot of the problems that Android is headed into are nicely outlined in this article

Why OEMs need months to deliver Android updates to your phone | ExtremeTech

Problem is that most Android users dont really know how much they as missing out on in terms of late patches/features until they have personal experience with a bug and then have to wait months for a fix.

Last edited:

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The marketing of a product begins with the name. Take a name like "Android" marketed with the cute little robot mascot fashioned as a sort of cross between the 1950's vision of the future, and R2-D2 from StarWars. Quite simply, the WP7 name has got to go. Windows is a fine OS, but projects the image that WP7 is somehow big and sluggish and really just more of the same ol'-same ol'. At least MS was smart enought to remove the word "Series" from the name early on. They should have gone further and called it "Froggie", or "Octo" with an octopus and each arm using some form of social networking all at once... anything more fun than "Windows".

It's sad to say but I think MS is turning into the next IBM: The image of an old-school stuffy company. Yeah, MS still produces great products, but they're just not hip.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I believe the biggest obstacles is carrier bias, read: retail professionals. Until they stop steering people towards non-WPs, it'll never catch on.

If someone walks in and says they're big on Facebook, the answer should instantly be Windows Phone. But no, this laggy, malware ridden Anroid phone has a cool app for that.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
What sold me over was the clean, no nonsense UI with as much smoothness as iOS and as much functionality as BBOS. Can't wait to turn off my Android for good and fire up the Lumia 800 as soon as I get it... Unfortunately it will be a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
@WPLuver

My understanding is that the two will remain separate code bases, though the tablet OS will be closer to Windows 8 than Windows Phone.

Aside from whatever cross platform integration that Microsoft is supposed to be working on though, what I really mean by Windows 8 coming along is the advertising push that all of the "Metro" products are going to get. I can't recall a time when a company went to market with 3 different sets of devices all promoting the same design sensibility. Even for the non-techie crowd I can't help but feel that it will be very appealing.

Consider as well, a few months after the release of Windows 8, a customer buying their first smartphone (who today would probably get an Android device). What are they going to go for? A phone that looks unfamiliar? Or the one with a similar OS to the one they use every day at home that they already know and understand? People want things to be familiar and easy and a lot of people, especially slightly older people don't like the idea of smart phones because they have to learn to use a new thing.

Heck, my mother's an IT teacher and she doesn't want a smartphone because "it's too complicated looking". She picked up my WP and was able to figure all the main stuff out in about 5 minutes.

Whats it going to take to convert iPhone/Android users to Windows Phone? Who cares, they'll come when they're ready. What's it going to take for Windows Phone to catch on? About a year. Be patient and enjoy being ahead of the curve until then :)

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
What will help win people over is more and more android news pushers and iphone news pushers and celebrities and tech guru types coming out and saying their switching to WP and why. That could start a push and leverage mindsetand marketshare, Contiued advertsing piushes by Nokia and HTC and Nokia coming out with 4g/LTE ready devices will push other hardware developers to bring out LTE devices.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Why would satisfied iPhone & Android users ever want to switch to a 3rd platform? Microsoft and OEMs has to give some super compelling reasons and so far they haven't. Metro UI, live tiles just isn't reason enough when you have 500K apps and mature UI in place for iPhone.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I believe the biggest obstacles is carrier bias, read: retail professionals. Until they stop steering people towards non-WPs, it'll never catch on.

If someone walks in and says they're big on Facebook, the answer should instantly be Windows Phone. But no, this laggy, malware ridden Anroid phone has a cool app for that.

The reason they don't steer people towards WP devices is because nobody wants them. The iOS/Android paradigm has become so ubiquitous at this point that only fanboys and geeks are even aware WP exists or even want it.

WPLuver

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday I went to Best Buy and lo and behold.. there is a fancy booth/display setup just for Windows Phone. Ofcourse, NO ONE was paying it any attention.:mad:

The other day I was standing in line at Bank of America. The TV monitors behind the cashiers were showing a rolling Ad for a BofA App on Windows Phone of all things!!:D

I went to an AT&T store over the weekend and asked the guy "Can I see the HTC Titan". It immediately took me over to the Windows Phone section which sadly is at the very back of the store in the far most corner. What a bunch of @&&^A*&@#,:mad:

Its been a roller-coaster

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
They would need to to open up the OS a little more for me. Not enough to cause severe fragmentation. Bit enough to were I feel like I can call the device my own. Add ability for different keyboards, wallpapers, change transparency of the tiles, smaller ans bigger tiles, more interactive tiles, etc...

After a year on an Android device, I've done just about everything. Rooted, ROM'd, customized, used different launchers, different kernels, different everything (except radios, those are still complicating to me). I think now that I've done all of this, I've had my taste of the magic. I got interested in WP7, because now I'm looking for stability and something I don't have to tinker with to work properly. After using the Windows 8 developer preview, and using the Xbox 360 Metro dashboard... I love the UI and design of things, I even use the WP7 Launcher on my DInc. After so long, you just get bored of it all and want something fresh and new.

WPLuver

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
After a year on an Android device, I've done just about everything. Rooted, ROM'd, customized, used different launchers, different kernels, different everything (except radios, those are still complicating to me). I think now that I've done all of this, I've had my taste of the magic. I got interested in WP7, because now I'm looking for stability and something I don't have to tinker with to work properly. After using the Windows 8 developer preview, and using the Xbox 360 Metro dashboard... I love the UI and design of things, I even use the WP7 Launcher on my DInc. After so long, you just get bored of it all and want something fresh and new.

I hear you. Used to do the whole custom ROM thing complete with custom radio back in the WinMo 6.5 days. It does get old after a while. Especially when that important call gets dropped and you know its because of a ROM you just installed. :p

Can't wait for CES and 2012 in general..

simonnyc

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I hear you. Used to do the whole custom ROM thing complete with custom radio back in the WinMo 6.5 days. It does get old after a while. Especially when that important call gets dropped and you know its because of a ROM you just installed. :p

Can't wait for CES and 2012 in general..

I find it so ironic whenever i hear fandroids ripping on WP7 b/c of its association to its creator Microsoft. They usually go into the whole "after windows mobile, i won't touch anything MS makes with a 10 ft pole". Android and the whole rooting/custom ROM thing is exactly how winmobile used to be.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I find it so ironic whenever i hear fandroids ripping on WP7 b/c of its association to its creator Microsoft. They usually go into the whole "after windows mobile, i won't touch anything MS makes with a 10 ft pole". Android and the whole rooting/custom ROM thing is exactly how winmobile used to be.

Yeah, I'm way past all of that nonsense. I want a WP7, really bad. Waiting for next year to roll around. I don't really think it takes much to convert someone, just wait until their sitting there twiddling their thumbs like "WATS DA NEW BEST DING GUISE!?!?!" you're all like "//shows WP7."

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
As a 21 year old iPhone owner, all it will take is for me to have enough money to buy a new phone. As for my iPhone owning friends, it will take a bit more aggressive advertising.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Why would satisfied iPhone & Android users ever want to switch to a 3rd platform? Microsoft and OEMs has to give some super compelling reasons and so far they haven't. Metro UI, live tiles just isn't reason enough when you have 500K apps and mature UI in place for iPhone.
Of course it'll be difficult to get someone satisfied to switch, that's the definition of satisfied isn't it? I'm sure marketing departments are aiming at dissatisfied customers... That is even if they are aiming to switch people over I posted a long paragraph about how the Windows Phone movement is going for the uninitiated that's probably the best way to get market share at this point.
The reason they don't steer people towards WP devices is because nobody wants them. The iOS/Android paradigm has become so ubiquitous at this point that only fanboys and geeks are even aware WP exists or even want it.
Bullsh!t. Period. People that aren't techies or fanboys of a particular platform are ignorant, at least in large part they are. All it takes is for someone that works at a retail location to say that it isn't cool to sway their minds. I attribute it mainly to the fact that BECAUSE they don't know anything, they think that the people that work there do. If the people working there did their jobs correctly and took a neutral approach to sales and actually help people with correct information then chances are HIGHLY likely that people would likely choose Windows Phone, if not over an iPhone then definitely over an Android device. I have pitched Windows Phone to many people and approximately 98% of them are highly impressed.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

In the last week oe so at least one mover and shaker type person announced theyt were switvhing to WP and another said she prefered Bing on Ioa over siri onb the Iphone 4s. That kind of pub can hopefully built on and slowly but surely WP can gain momentum and leverage that into a stronger position. Nokia and HTC with LTE can bring VZN and Sprint a bigger presence in WP

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is doing a good job right now here are some of the positives I think are going to help convert others

1. Brining apps to iOS. People got heated when Xbox Live, Halo WP, Skydrive, Kinectimals, Office moved over to the iOS platform but IMO its a good thing. You may notice that MS is bringing these platforms to iOS not Android so I think they want to convince the general consumer if you want an Office app on your phone iOS and WP thats it.

Why would they do this well first they will get puplicity tagging themselfs with iOS and second it could potentially convert people looking to upgrade their iPhone. For example if Jane really loves her Office and Skydrive functionality on her iOS and shes looking to upgrade her phone she has a choice.
1. Pay a preimum price for a iOS device 199$
2. Buy a low-mid range WP for 0.99 cents

This could potentially convert alot of users over to WP!

2. Nokia releasing the 710 which is an awesome phone. If they market this phone correctly and price it accordingly the general public will LOVE this phone.
1. Comes with Nokia Drive free turn-by-turn GPS
2. Windows 7.5 runs amazing on lower end handsets
3. Xbox Live, Zune Pass, Facebook integration, Office/Skydrive is great for students
4. Women will love it because its cheap, cute and customizeable

But at the end of the day it lacks a FFC which I hope they add to the next revision. MS really has to go at Android here so the general public wont buy a low end Android VS a Nokia 710 if they can convince the low-mid end users that a huge W. Go for the Android guys dont bother going for iOS users just yet.

3. Flood the market with different handsets. Nokia is going to do a good job I can already kind of see the outcome when I walk into a local carrier I am going to see the following
1. A nice Nokia Lumia all touch screen device
2. A Nokia n8 super camera smart phone which I think they are going to release
3. A Nokia Lumia with a physical keyboard
4. A Nokia Blackberry style device with hopefully Lync and Skype built in
5. A Nokia Tablet running Windows 8

If they can flood the market with different quality handsets they are going to move people over. Some people dont like iPhones because its all touch and prefer Blackberry style devices well Nokia can answer all of that you don't need a bunch of vendors HTC, LG, Samsung to do your work for you.

4. Take over Business make sure WP is marketed as a top tier Business Phone for companies to switch over to. Most companies use Microsoft services in the background such as Exchange, AD etc so might as well make everything all Microsoft. Thats what my company plans to do.

5. Gaming hopefully MS takes the time this E3 to really represent Apollo. Get your 3rd party guys to start making Apps and games. MS made alot of 3rd parties and indie devs sucessful this gen maybe thats good enough to pursuade them to start developing for Windows Phone. Microsoft is very good at marketing indie products look at XBLA.

6. Keep innovating don't slow down dont become like RIM and good things will happen.

Usually good products dont die except for the Zune but hey the Zune made this all happen Metro wouldn't exist without that beautiful Zune HD interface.

WPLuver

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
You guys might disagree but I think Windows Phone interface is too polarizing. Some people (like me) love it, and others (like a few friends) hate it. They say "that blocky-thing on the home screen doesn't do it for me".

Anyone had similar experiences.

I want my Verizon 4G LTE Windows Phone with 8M camera and 4+ inch screen with 326+ ppi screen. Asking for too much ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers