Why does gmail still suck with 7.5 Mango?

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Mango (7.5) includes IE9 with HTML5/CSS3 - so why does the gmail web app still suck so bad with it? Is Google doing this on purpose? Is there any way to get the web app interface you get on iOS/Android?

Google Reader doesn't seem to have these problems any more, what's the hold up with Gmail?

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Well there are a few of cool things about Google I think:
• Get an 'Outlook' account on WP7 for free without having to buy Exchange or Office 365, plus labels and archive are awesome.
• Google Reader (no good alternatives, nothing from Microsoft)
• Webmaster Tools / Analytics (no good alternatives, nothing from Microsoft)

Every thing else they offer is meh though (though I would use Google+ because it's better with privacy than Facebook, except nobody else does). Google Docs is pretty crappy compared to Office, I don't use Picasa or Windows Live Photo Gallery enough to really compare the two.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If the Google Youtube API fiasco is any indication of Google's commitment to WP7 then I wouldn't expect much from Google on Windows Phone.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't expect any apps from Google on WP7, but to not support their web apps on IE9 mobile seems silly. I suspect all they need to do is change a <!--if IE--> conditional to <!--if lt IE9-->.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Also, if Microsoft would provide a Google Reader alternative and remove the 'on behalf of' from Hotmail I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore :)

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If the Google Youtube API fiasco is any indication of Google's commitment to WP7 then I wouldn't expect much from Google on Windows Phone.

I think the YouTube API fiasco is a farce, because Google had no issues letting Microsoft use the YouTube API for the XB360 even though they compete with it via GoogleTV.

I think it was totally overblown.

Google has almost 50% smartphone marketshare via Android. They simply don't see a need to support OSes that aren't major players. Between iOS and Android 70%+ of the market is covered. That's enough for them.

They simply don't see a need, that's why.

Additionally, GMail sucks on ANYTHING without a Native GMail app. That's precicely why Google had the J2ME Gmail app for a long time, as well as the Blackberry app (now there's a BIS plugin so they dropped that). It's also precicely why they developed an iOS app with PUSH Notifications.

Even with ActiveSync GMail sucks because it's designed unlike traditional webmail systems for how it manages and organizes email.

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I found that you can add your google account. With your Windows Live account and the phone will give you an interface for Gmail.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750