Indian TV show specifies some cons for WP OS & Lumia 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahesha999

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi there. Just came to know that Indian TV Show Techguru specified some very important cons of WP OS while reviewing Lumia 800.

Objective: dissecting them

Find TV show at: # BIG REVIEW / Smart Phone Review -- Nokia Lumia 800--2 - YouTube

Facebook handle: Tech Guru | Facebook

First it specifies 5 pros. Now here are 5 cons. It is Hindi. I am translating it in English.

2. Lumia 800 launched for almost 30000 INR and it lacks front camera. So its considerable con of Lumia 800

4. It will require cutting existing SIM card to Micro SIM using cutter since Lumia needs Micro SIM. Ok I know in India Micro SIM is not used a lot. And I feel this cutting work and keeping the cut part is not a big deal.

But some about OS are:

1.It requires Zune for every media transfer. It lacks media transfer over bluetooth (say transferring song from my friends mobile to mine)(Indians shares a lot on bluetooth).

3.Bing search is default search engine. I mean when we hit search button on IE, it searches with Bing. It requires Google Search to be used as a separate App. As long as I know IE9 on desktop, we can configure it to use Google as default search engine. Is this not possible with WP7.5? Can we have Google as default search engine on IE9 in WP7.5? (I didnt used WP any time (didnt had any cell yet!), but love alot.)

5. People will need to take PC running Zune anywhere they go if at all they want anything to put inside there Lumia. Now this simply re-iterates 1st point. Please also tell me, is that the only way (from PC running zune) to take any photo, song, movie on WP mobile. Ok, here forget the Internet (since 4G is not in India and 3G is a lot costly) access. I am asking for device-to-device transfer.

6.Last con is completely irrelevant. It says that Nokia India should spend more on marketing Lumia 710 since it has almost same specs at cost saving of almost 11000 INR. Ok cost of Lumia 800 may be high here. But how he can comment on Nokia's spending?

It gives 3.5/5 stars, takes away one star straight off for price. Too costly in India. Ok, but not like iPhone. Galaxy S II also comes for 22000-28000INR. No exact idea.

0.5 star taken off for
- No bluetooth (this will seriously matter in India, let me tell you, if it is like point 1 above)
- Zune problem (point 1 above)
- No front facing camera (considerable)

Now please tell me that if that Zune and Bluetooth thing is true. And also if Google can be configured as default search engine in IE9.

You may comment on Facebook handle of the show if they are wrong anywhere.

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Here's the too long, didn't read version of your post:

"Missing insignificant feature"

SKY IS FALLING!

First it specifies 5 pros. Now here are 5 cons.

You trollin', brah? If you're going to post the cons at least post the positives. It's hard to tell if this is an unbiased review without the pros. Only posting the cons smells a lot like trolling.

Last edited:

Mahesha999

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Here's the too long, didn't read version of your post:

"Missing insignificant feature"

SKY IS FALLING!

You trollin', brah? If you're going to post the cons at least post the positives. It's hard to tell if this is an unbiased review without the pros. Only posting the cons smells a lot like trolling.
No yaar, actually the show specified all other pros also, like better social and office integration and its uni-body build and buttery fluid WP7.5.

I just want to dismiss their cons too, since I am die hard fan of WP.

Making things short
Can we set Google as default search engine on Windows Phone IE9?
Can I share Videos/songs/Photos with my friend over Bluetooth? Or sharing is just restricted to Zune?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Can we set Google as default search engine on Windows Phone IE9?

Nope. Gotta depend on the app. I use Bing as my main search on my desktop so this doesn't bother me. However, I think Google images and Google map has a leg up on Bing. Regular searches I prefer Bing.

Can I share Videos/songs/Photos with my friend over Bluetooth? Or sharing is just restricted to Zune?

Photos: There's no access to the file system so unfortunately no. The workaround is using either MMS or email. There might also be a workaround using Skydrive as well.

Music: Music can't be sent through MMS or email. Maybe the file could be shared via Skydrive.

IMO, neither con is that bad but I'm not from India so I'm not sure how big of an impact either will have.

Also, welcome aboard the Windows Phone train. Watch out for haters. :D

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You can set google as default in ie. it is in the settings. Prior to mango you couldn't change it.

The lack of a FFC is an issue, ESP for a phone which costs that much.

The URLs SkyDrive sharing uses aren't friendly. Share photos using MMS or Email. For video you don't have much choice between SkyDrive and social networks though.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
You can set google as default in ie. it is in the settings. Prior to mango you couldn't change it.

I just went into settings in IE and can't find the option to set google anywhere. All you can do is toggle between 'mobile' or 'desktop' and a page display preference option. I would love to set google as my default search so am I missing something here?

Mahesha999

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Let me tell you I am die hard WP lover. So I am not critisizing here WP. I am developer and know how Microsoft is best at platform (Win XP and 7) and framework (.NET, Silverlight and now JavaScript driven Win 8 app environment) development. No other knows it better than MS how to build a platform. And one plus point it learns at fast pace.

Remember they included XP start menu on Windows Mobile 6.5. Now they learnt and changed the whole philosophy - seriously brave move and its pure vision. Apple and Google did just tried to replicate the desktop on Smartphones. They just showed they do not think. Thats why Androids update are also fail story. My friend has Galaxy S and I always tease him to update his Android :)

Its absolutely important in India to have media sharing over Bluetooth (which is almost 90% of scenarios, trust me). I never remembered here in last six years my friends sharing on Internet thru phones. If it is not there people here will say bye bye to WP.

Bing is simply unknown here. Google Search is boss. Please tell me surely if default search engine setting is possible

Mahesha999

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I just toggle between Bing and Google search. I actually like Bing's home page better. As for my opinion on bluetooth transfer, it can be a dealbreaker for some. I have had simple dumb phones that offer bluetooth transfer between phones.
So that restriction is a bit silly, but I have learned to with it for the time being.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You can toggle the search engine in mango. Before mango it was carrier controlled an people revolted because of the fragmented experience. They fixed that. It's in the settings somewhere. It should not be hard to find.

Unless your carrier made Microsoft/oem remove it.

DarthVeda

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
these shows just go by hype and are pro-apple and pro-android, they pretty much say what any other review site is saying.
for the price, i agree it's priced a bit higher but when the Galaxy S2 or the original galaxy came it was above 30k as well. It dropped over a period of time. If they are complaining about the 30k price of lumia i don't know what they said for the Iphone4s 64GB costing well over 60,000!!!

Coming to the con of bluetooth transfer, i am also begging for it especially for photos at least, they can block the music for "piracy" concerns but photos shouldn't be a problem at all. Currently, the only way to transfer files across is to use dropbox, skydrive and other storage services.
For photos, i just e-mail them, it's faster as it reduces the size.

for the default search, i know google is the Boss!! but this is MS and why should they allow any other search engine as an option. I don't think the same option exists in Android!! for me bing search works fine the only area where it lacks is Maps and locals for India; it plainly sucks. :(
Hopefully, things will change when lumia is selling all around india in good numbers and MS heeds to Nokia :)

I don't think USB mass storage will ever be enabled by MS, so gotta live with that

SSK the Gr8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
well said darthveda
i agree with you, they should allow bluetooth transfer for photos and videos taken from the camera itself, they can block music transfer( piracy concerns)
mass storage is not needed and i find bing to be as good as google , and many times better, google comes up with a lot of garbage at times
but bing lacks in local search

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If google comes up with garbage bing will in pretty much every identical case. Google search is tops, but without a good dedicated app. Good being the key word. It's not worth using google as the default.

Mahesha999

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I am feeling that Lumia will fail in India. Look at these comments on the TV shows facebook handle:

Indians do mass transfer on bluetooth. Its a dealbreaker.

Rishi Shinde
No front camera , no bluetooth, zune and what no google search engine i

don't like lumia 800. Galaxy S2 is greater than lumia 800.

Nishant Chhabra
Has Nokia lumia 710 consists same problems like lumia 810 (front camera

bluetooth etc
) ?

Anup Jadhav
no bluetooth,no front camera,and irritating zune app shame on u nokia.we

are not expecting from u.

Others are also saying that these lackness at so great price is a Big No.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Well it certainly appears that there is work needed in India to get bluetooth changed to allow picture transmission via bluetooth It probably would help everywhere else as well. Thanks for bringing this issue up India is certianly a market worth being in for WP's future growth. Hopefully MS is listening and their engineers will get on this pronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)