Where is WP7 going? Future?

samlilli

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm a yet-to-be WP7 owner, but I still have my doubts about the UI and GUI as I hear lots of people saying it does get a little boring after time?

I guess I want a little backing up that it doesn't and theres lots to do with a WP7 phone, but I'm not sure I can see how the simplicity might NOT get boring? From what i've seen I love the tiles interface but I can't help but ask myself what more is to be had here. What's the future of Windows Phone, does anyone know where Microsoft is going to take it, will it gain more depth to the OS than it currently has? Because right now to me, at least, it seems like it's stuck at a dead end due to the simplistic boundaries it looks like it's set?

Prove me wrong! (or right!)

nopre

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I guess anything gets a little boring after a while but the Metro UI has held my attention longer than anything else. The live tiles are really cool and fun to look at :cool:

Simplicity is one thing I like about it. BIG tiles on the start screen that provide decent information, really slick transitions (Better than ios to me at least), and it doesn't feel as cumbersome as android.

There are a few things that I would like to see changed like the alpha organization of the apps in a single line on the 2nd screen and the lack of individual volumes but no real deal breakers.

samlilli

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I understand you, because to me, i've had an iPod Touch since day one and I am sick and tired of iOS, there's been no radical changes for a long long time - hence why I don't want to convert to iPhone. WP7 looks fresh and new, but I don't see how long it'll retain it.

I wish microsoft would give us something to look forward to and give us an insight into where they think it's heading, although myself i'm not sure that they are totally sure themselves :S

I reckon it could head to look like the new Xbox dashboard if you've seen it with the sections? hmm, I dont know. I guess I just feel insecure about switching to a platform with no certain future

nopre

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I too have been an ipod touch user since day one :p and yea, it's growing a bit long in the tooth. Still slick but other OS's have caught up with Apple...

The wife has a nice dual-core Droid running the latest OS version and it's nice but not as polished as WP7. It does however run any and all videos thrown at it while my WP won't do flash and some html 5 stuff :straight: I actually believe that the mobile video player problems will be addressed in the near future but I also believed that with WebOS :lol:

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Just about anything will get boring after a while. The real question, I think, you should ask yourself is "does the UI achieve what I want functionally?" You just admitted that iOS hasn't gotten bland and aesthetics are only part of the picture. Does iOS do more for you functionally or do you think WP7 will?

For me personally, the moment I saw concrete builds of WP7 I knew I was getting a Windows Phone and that I'd be sticking with the platform because it wasn't just another boring display of row after row of icons and it actually did something with those icons in a more simplified manner. I mean who cares if the icon looks all glossy and glammed up? It's just an icon. Of course, despite valuing both function and aesthetic, I lean a bit more towards function.

Though, that's not to say I don't find room for improvement. In terms of the UI use cases I think some streamlining can be done. In terms of presentation I think overall it's good for now, but I wish you could change the size of tiles like you'll be able to in Windows 8.

And if you really want to know the direction, check out this video:
Steve Kaneko - Microsoft design unification - YouTube

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not one to convince. I'm one to say, "try it" and you'll either love it or hate it. Simple.

I currently have all the major platforms sitting on my desk. My iPhone 4S is catching dust, my galaxy S II is somewhere in back of me... and the list goes on. My BlackBerry stays w/ me because it is my work device; a BlackBerry 9930.

samlilli

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not one to convince. I'm one to say, "try it" and you'll either love it or hate it. Simple.

I currently have all the major platforms sitting on my desk. My iPhone 4S is catching dust, my galaxy S II is somewhere in back of me... and the list goes on. My BlackBerry stays w/ me because it is my work device; a BlackBerry 9930.

And what about your WP7 phone then?.. :)

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday WP7.5 just hit 50k apps. Full backup is coming to the platform. The next major update, Windows 8 will be more integrated with the Windows ecosystem (PC+ Windows slate+XBOX 360+Windows phone). You are full integrated with your SkyDrive and you can sync your docs from your acc directly to your phone. Same thing with music, pics, etc. Games are more and more popular. Great games are here or coming from other platforms too. There are variety of games to choose from, and there is multiplayer games now. You can use ure phone to control your PC and XBOX 360. Your contacts are sync to your account, so if you got another Windows phone they are automatically sync to your new device and many many more great stuff that MS is adding on daily base. There is more much to see and believe me you will not regret for buying Windows Phone. ;)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Boring? Here's a thought. Wake up your phone (a WP preferably), do what you need to do. Then put it down and spend some quality time with your kids, your family, your friends. Or just get outside and take in some fresh air and interesting sites.

Microsoft's original campaign was on target. Get in, get out, and get on with your life. Your phone is not a toy that everyone eventually grows tired of. Its a tool, that will give your more time to enjoy them important things in life.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

samlilli

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Boring? Here's a thought. Wake up your phone (a WP preferably), do what you need to do. Then put it down and spend some quality time with your kids, your family, your friends. Or just get outside and take in some fresh air and interesting sites.

Microsoft's original campaign was on target. Get in, get out, and get on with your life. Your phone is not a toy that everyone eventually grows tired of. Its a tool, that will give your more time to enjoy them important things in life.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Very nicely put, although I'm sure a lot of us here will agree that nowadays we love to use our phones for more than just the phone/texting functionalities - such as games, apps, music - effectively a toy in some respects of the word

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
And what about your WP7 phone then?.. :)

I use my focus as my main phone. I have a tilt2 and pure gathering dust in the office I play around with them every once in an while and when my son in law comes up here nezt time I am giving them to him to either use or sell.
I was going through some old boxes and ran across mt ppalm IIIc and casioppea e-200 and my journada 567 I looked at them in their cases and with a collection of cradles and chunked them in the trash. My son in law is using my old treo pro for his phone and selling his surround. It wont charge the battery in the phone but he has several batteries that he charges with this new vivitar vertical chager that you adjust the charging probes to fit any battery and it will charge it up fairtly quickly. I got the same from him for Christmas. Its pretty neat. I almost wish I had the treo pro back If it had the memory and could run WP I/d be all for it if it also had a least a 3.5 inch screen. Oh well its not a happening

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I use my focus as my main phone. I have a tilt2 and pure gathering dust in the office I play around with them every once in an while and when my son in law comes up here nezt time I am giving them to him to either use or sell.
I was going through some old boxes and ran across mt ppalm IIIc and casioppea e-200 and my journada 567 I looked at them in their cases and with a collection of cradles and chunked them in the trash. My son in law is using my old treo pro for his phone and selling his surround. It wont charge the battery in the phone but he has several batteries that he charges with this new vivitar vertical chager that you adjust the charging probes to fit any battery and it will charge it up fairtly quickly. I got the same from him for Christmas. Its pretty neat. I almost wish I had the treo pro back If it had the memory and could run WP I/d be all for it if it also had a least a 3.5 inch screen. Oh well its not a happening
Somehow I didn't finish and posted. It must have been a late night for me.

Both my Focus and Focus S are usually in mind hand, loving it more and more every day.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think this phone is anything but boring. There is so much polish in it. The way things move and animate just seems so "alive." Like the squash and stretch of text and you scroll quickly. The little bounce when you hit the end of a page. Heck, even playing with bouncing the lock screen from different heights is kind of neat.

Also, if you want to see the future of Windows Phone. You might want to check out any Windows 8 videos you can find. Microsoft is going ALL IN on this. And the future looks bright.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire