Quote: Windows Phone is Superior; Why Hasn?t it Taken Off?

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
OK then if Computer OS and phone OS are two different things....why do you think that's the issue?

It goes two ways! Just because "everybody" disagrees with me that the name is what's wrong doesn't mean it's true! It IS a FACT that the name isn't the single reason that WP isn't blowing up. The OS just doesn't offer enough to drag people away from what they already love. It COULD be part of the reason but there are so many other things.

1) lack of proper bluetooth
2) lack of marketing
3) lack of features people want e.g micro SD support, flash support.
4) possibly Windows Mobile (but joe bloggs in the street doesn't care about that. neither do teenage girls who want to facebook and text their friends). Tech people who know about the failure that was windows mobile AREN'T the only people who want to buy phones!

Maybe you should open YOUR mind to the possibility that not everyone cares that it has the windows name. You can't blame it all on a name!

I wasn't the one who said it was an issue I was just elaborating on what the poster you commented on said. Go ask people who have used windows mobile what they think of it and I guarantee most of them will talk about how bad it was and all the issues. It is as simple as that. If everyone did not care about a name then go make a copy of the iphone and see how well it sells..... The name has a lot to do with everything whether you want to open your mind to that or not.

M

mkr10001

I wasn't the one who said it was an issue I was just elaborating on what the poster you commented on said. Go ask people who have used windows mobile what they think of it and I guarantee most of them will talk about how bad it was and all the issues. It is as simple as that. If everyone did not care about a name then go make a copy of the iphone and see how well it sells..... The name has a lot to do with everything whether you want to open your mind to that or not.

Enough of the "open your mind" BS.

I never said people didn't hate Windows Mobile...I'm saying the MAJORITY of people who want a phone will never have used Windows Mobile and won't know about the negative stigma attached to it. There's a certain group of people who will have ever bought Windows Mobile and that will be "tech" people. Not just your average human being who wants a smartphone.

Obviously there are going to be people who can't stand Mac OS's but will buy an iPhone knowing full well that it's not going to be the same experience.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'll admit that when I use a Windows Phone, I don't think of the traditional Windows experience. However, I'm wondering if Microsoft is trying to change the perception of its entire product line. The only way I'd see them changing the name of Windows Phone is if they remove Windows from Windows 8.

I totally agree. It's pointless to discuss a name change, because Microsoft has made their objective clear. I think they even expressly stated that they were trying to align Windows Moble/Phone and Windows desktop in number before Windows 7 and Windows Phone 7 came out. Clearly, they're trying to unify the "Windows" experience by using the Metro UI in Windows 8 and Xbox 360.

I think it's a gamble. Their plan will work if they can overcome the obstacle they created by jumping from Windows Mobile 6.5 to Windows Phone 7. They allowed the public to perceive WP7 as a minor update from Windows Mobile. I think they saw that as a necessary risk in order to meet their objective of unifying the three environments (Windows desktop, Windows Phone, and Xbox 360).

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Enough of the "open your mind" BS.

I never said people didn't hate Windows Mobile...I'm saying the MAJORITY of people who want a phone will never have used Windows Mobile and won't know about the negative stigma attached to it. There's a certain group of people who will have ever bought Windows Mobile and that will be "tech" people. Not just your average human being who wants a smartphone.

Obviously there are going to be people who can't stand Mac OS's but will buy an iPhone knowing full well that it's not going to be the same experience.

I know a number of people who used windows mobile and they were far from "tech" people. Not to mention you will have those who have or do not use the windows and would try a wp, same with people that get an iphone but have a windows pc and not a mac.

M

mkr10001

I know a number of people who used windows mobile and they were far from "tech" people. Not to mention you will have those who have or do not use the windows and would try a wp, same with people that get an iphone but have a windows pc and not a mac.

Doesn't that show that people are willing to try things regardless of how they feel about a company's previous projects?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree. It's pointless to discuss a name change, because Microsoft has made their objective clear. I think they even expressly stated that they were trying to align Windows Moble/Phone and Windows desktop in number before Windows 7 and Windows Phone 7 came out. Clearly, they're trying to unify the "Windows" experience by using the Metro UI in Windows 8 and Xbox 360.

I think it's a gamble. Their plan will work if they can overcome the obstacle they created by jumping from Windows Mobile 6.5 to Windows Phone 7. They allowed the public to perceive WP7 as a minor update from Windows Mobile. I think they saw that as a necessary risk in order to meet their objective of unifying the three environments (Windows desktop, Windows Phone, and Xbox 360).

It certainly is a gamble. I hope it pays off.

As for it being pointless... well, we're just discussing this on a WP fan forum. Other than an overly zealous poster here and there, nobody really is making a big deal about this. It's just talk for now.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't that show that people are willing to try things regardless of how they feel about a company's previous projects?

Not really. At least in the case of the people I know they all ditched windows mobile and went with an iphone or android and never even gave wp7 a look when it came out.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, I don't think Windows Mobile is known to that many people, either. Unless you had a smartphone from 2001-2007, I don't think Windows Mobile effected you that greatly. Actually, I've talked to many people who thought Android was made by Microsoft (which makes sense, since it has been iOS vs Android and Mac OS vs Windows).

That being said, the techies do remember Windows Mobile. And they do know that WP is Microsoft and Android is Google. However, they should be the easiest to inform about the changes, since they are well informed, anyway.

Is there a way Microsoft could drop the Windows brand? I feel like people will realize that the product is by Microsoft, no matter the name.

M

mkr10001

Not really. At least in the case of the people I know they all ditched windows mobile and went with an iphone or android and never even gave wp7 a look when it came out.

Probably because they are happy with iOS or Android and have no reason to move to a different OS, unless it offers something new and ground breaking, which unfortunately it doesn't

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Probably because they are happy with iOS or Android and have no reason to move to a different OS, unless it offers something new and ground breaking, which unfortunately it doesn't

That is exactly what MS needs to start pushing. What about WP makes people think they should switch or how it can make things just work for them. If they do that, then they will start becoming more main stream.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
That is exactly what MS needs to start pushing. What about WP makes people think they should switch or how it can make things just work for them. If they do that, then they will start becoming more main stream.

Agreement! Hurry, mods! Close this thread before it gets nasty again. ;)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

The whole OS itself is pretty new and ground breaking. Different than everything else out there. The whole task-centric as opposed to app-centric philosophy is a game changer.

Though a lot of people haven't even given it a try.

M

mkr10001

The whole OS itself is pretty new and ground breaking. Different than everything else out there. The whole task-centric as opposed to app-centric philosophy is a game changer.

They just need the marketing to show people this.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It appears to me that MS is relying on OEMs and Carriers to do the marketing.

Which, of course has proven fatal up until the point Nokia got on board. Nokia has certainly made a difference in WP7 uptake in the countries it released the Lumia 800 in because of their marketing, and though their sales may not be in iphone territory yet they are the first device maker to be apparently bringing in decent numbers of new WP7 users and hitting the best seller list of so many retailers. Still quite a way to go but they have shown that good marketing can bring people to WP7. Just need that message to get through to the other OEM's and Microsoft themselves, who seem scared to do any real marketing on their own.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Don't Windows PCs still outsell and have a large portion of the market? You should go to Mac forums and tell them they're wasting their money and tell Apple to stop making Macs.

Ummm Apple is increasing Mac sales 25% year on year for 5 straight years now. Also Macs take 90% of the profits in that PC segment(> $1000). So comparing a burning platform(WP7) to a thriving one(Macs) is fallacious.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

No it isn't. The kernel is Windows CE and the Metro is taken from Zune.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, there's a point of saturation when you have so much marketshare. If WP7 sell 4 million phones, it will show an enormous increase, but If Apple sells 5 million, it won't seem as big, because they already have so many phones out there. Same thing goes with Windows vs Mac vs Linux.
Ummm Apple is increasing Mac sales 25% year on year for 5 straight years now. Also Macs take 90% of the profits in that PC segment(> $1000). So comparing a burning platform(WP7) to a thriving one(Macs) is fallacious.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb