Quote: Windows Phone is Superior; Why Hasn?t it Taken Off?

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, there's a point of saturation when you have so much marketshare. If WP7 sell 4 million phones, it will show an enormous increase, but If Apple sells 5 million, it won't seem as big, because they already have so many phones out there. Same thing goes with Windows vs Mac vs Linux.

You are missing the point. Mac sales have been growing 25% year on year for 26 consecutive quarters. This is unprecedented growth, historic in fact.

L

lumic

98% of the market prefers photo-realistic 3D icons vs flat boring live tiles. The market has spoken.
Your statistic is bogus and the "98%" don't know that there is an alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
You don't think the lack of good marketing is hurting? I don't think it's the only issue, but it would be nice to see some cool commercials showing what WP can do. There are so many droid, iPhone and blackberry commercials out its not even funny.

Sent from my Windows 7 Phone using Board Express
Do you think that everyone who buys a phone watches TV? Word of mouth is another way that a good phone could be marketed, someone could share the phone they like and recommend it to others. I've gotten 5 people on windows phone that way just by hearing them explain their problems with Android and then saying that WP doesn't have those issues and I even showed a WP vs iOS video.
OK then if Computer OS and phone OS are two different things....why do you think that's the issue?

It goes two ways! Just because "everybody" disagrees with me that the name is what's wrong doesn't mean it's true! It IS a FACT that the name isn't the single reason that WP isn't blowing up. The OS just doesn't offer enough to drag people away from what they already love. It COULD be part of the reason but there are so many other things.

1) lack of proper bluetooth
2) lack of marketing
3) lack of features people want e.g micro SD support, flash support.
4) possibly Windows Mobile (but joe bloggs in the street doesn't care about that. neither do teenage girls who want to facebook and text their friends). Tech people who know about the failure that was windows mobile AREN'T the only people who want to buy phones!

Maybe you should open YOUR mind to the possibility that not everyone cares that it has the windows name. You can't blame it all on a name!
I don't think lack of Bluetooth file transfer or lack of flash are harming apple sales at all. So that's not it.
Ummm Apple is increasing Mac sales 25% year on year for 5 straight years now. Also Macs take 90% of the profits in that PC segment(> $1000). So comparing a burning platform(WP7) to a thriving one(Macs) is fallacious.

This post is fallacious,Mac sales will never surpass those of windows PCs. May I remind you that you are on WPCentral? Bashing the platform that this site is based off of on this site means you must have some serious issues.

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
You know what WP7 need? A mascot. Google has a little green robot for Android, and Apple has an Apple. They're iconic to their OS. They go hand and hand, and people recognize them.

alaskanjackson

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
"Every XBOX Live Gold Member gets a new ______phone", not sure of the latest figures but that would sure juice your installed base. Why doesn't MS provide incentives to cell carriers to bundle their respective windows phones with xbox/kinect console sales. You could offer "free" phones that are pre-loaded with consumer specific content, ie games. You could offer month to month data or contract plans. You hook younger users with phones that do what they want. ****, carriers are giving away phones as it is (with a contract) Get them used to the mango interface. You could even build in more parental control and use that as a sales driver. If MS doesn't do something like this by next Christmas Ballmer needs to be taken to the woodshed. Most likely repeating another posters' advice...loving my Titan.

facetheduke

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Its as simple as:

• MS being late to the party.
  • Waiting until a year after launch to put in some features that have become standard on other OSs.
  • Not yet shrugging off the malaise of WinMo, much in the way that IE has not shrugged the dismal IE6. In this case, the struggle could be twofold, given that it is integrated with Zune, which failed (though Zunes were pretty nice to use).

I mean, app support isn't there yet, but that's what you get with a new platform. UX/UI is certainly nice but a subjective call. I think those are more nit-picky. It really is about the above.

I also think that its pretty distasteful that people have been throwing the word "retard" and other such things around in this thread. Grow up.

Last edited:

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Probably because they are happy with iOS or Android and have no reason to move to a different OS, unless it offers something new and ground breaking, which unfortunately it doesn't

Getting those people to realize WP offers something new and ground breaking is where you'll find the obstacle. They're unwilling to see it because they have already formed their perception of the Windows brand.

Microsoft must change that perception, which is harder than creating a new perception about a new brand.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
At the end of the day, IMO, pretty much all the "smartphone" OSs do the exact same thing. They just use different means to do it. I don't think WP7 does anything ground breaking. Neither does iOS or Android. I think WP7 just looks more pretty than others when doing task that they all do.
Getting those people to realize WP offers something new and ground breaking is where you'll find the obstacle. They're unwilling to see it because they have already formed their perception of the Windows brand.

Microsoft must change that perception, which is harder than creating a new perception about a new brand.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
At the end of the day, IMO, pretty much all the "smartphone" OSs do the exact same thing. They just use different means to do it. I don't think WP7 does anything ground breaking. Neither does iOS or Android. I think WP7 just looks more pretty than others when doing task that they all do.

I agree. Just different ways of doing the same thing and they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Sent from my Windows 7 Phone using Board Express

M

mkr10001

Do you think that everyone who buys a phone watches TV? Word of mouth is another way that a good phone could be marketed, someone could share the phone they like and recommend it to others. I've gotten 5 people on windows phone that way just by hearing them explain their problems with Android and then saying that WP doesn't have those issues and I even showed a WP vs iOS video.

I don't think lack of Bluetooth file transfer or lack of flash are harming apple sales at all. So that's not it.

This post is fallacious,Mac sales will never surpass those of windows PCs. May I remind you that you are on WPCentral? Bashing the platform that this site is based off of on this site means you must have some serious issues.

iOS has a workaround for flash though doesn't it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05