'People' tile question

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Annoyed with things flipping and moving on the home screen, I unpinned all live tiles and I found that it significantly saves battery life...
Does anyone know of a way to disable the people tile from constantly cycling through your contact's pictures and showing the 'f' in Facebook, or set a static picture for it? Not only is the people tile annoying, unpinning it would also save some battery. I have downloaded several 'contacts' apps to replace it, but none are of good quality... Thanks in advance.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Only thing I do is remove the People Hub Tile. I may actually put it back on as I've been using it more, but by going in to the list of apps to do so.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
They only flip when the screen is on? Are you really staring at the home screen that much? The power was saved from those live tiles transferring background data. You can compromise and keep them, but have them update less often, etc.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
They only flip when the screen is on? Are you really staring at the home screen that much? The power was saved from those live tiles transferring background data. You can compromise and keep them, but have them update less often, etc.

You have to stare at them to wait for them to flip...in order to see the information.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Only thing I do is remove the People Hub Tile. I may actually put it back on as I've been using it more, but by going in to the list of apps to do so.

Another option is to go to people using the Phone tile. It's the third option on the bottom "..." menu. It's only one extra press.

Does the People tile really use that much battery life? I'm all for saving battery life, but I don't have phone open to the start screen that much. The People tile doesn't have notifications. I imagine it uses battery life in its normal operation and updating your feeds in the "what's new" spoke, as well as refreshing the live tile, but what else does it do? If my phone is off or in an app 98% of the time, how would the People tile suck battery life?

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Another option is to go to people using the Phone tile. It's the third option on the bottom "..." menu. It's only one extra press.

Does the People tile really use that much battery life? I'm all for saving battery life, but I don't have phone open to the start screen that much. The People tile doesn't have notifications. I imagine it uses battery life in its normal operation and updating your feeds in the "what's new" spoke, as well as refreshing the live tile, but what else does it do? If my phone is off or in an app 98% of the time, how would the People tile suck battery life?

Thats a great idea and I'll try that..but still no answer to setting a static pic for the people tile or turning off the cycling through pictures. I kinda figured because there's not many options in the settings menus. As for the battery, I don't know why...it just seems to last a bit longer.

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Aren't live tiles the whole point of wp7? Don't know why someone would want them disabled. I haven't notice any decrease in battery with or without them.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Aren't live tiles the whole point of wp7? Don't know why someone would want them disabled. I haven't notice any decrease in battery with or without them.
Because it's there doesn't every one wants every thing being live... Some may only want their Weather app to be live. I don't use fb much, so for me, not having it 'live' would be fine by me.

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Because it's there doesn't every one wants every thing being live... Some may only want their Weather app to be live. I don't use fb much, so for me, not having it 'live' would be fine by me.

That's not how he said it tho. The way he said it was that he doesn't want anything live which to me is ridiculous.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree, Justin... I mean, why not sell it and get something a little more 'basic'. IOS or it's knock-off (Android) have stagnant home screens. :)

EDIT: Actually... scrub "selling it"... why even bother "getting it", in the first place?!?

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree, Justin... I mean, why not sell it and get something a little more 'basic'. IOS or it's knock-off (Android) have stagnant home screens. :)

EDIT: Actually... scrub "selling it"... why even bother "getting it", in the first place?!?

I cancelled my internet for short while so I needed a smartphone to conviently check email among other things. I called Verizon to upgrade, and the HTC trophy specs sounded good. When the rep said, "but it's a windows phone", I still ordered it. ....little did I know what a windows phone was..

Anyway, why can't they just make the OPTION to have the tiles live or not? I had apps that I always used but post-mango they suddenly started flipping and I had to unpin them.

MannLou

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to disable any backgrounding you want. I only have a Accuweather and few apps running. The updating on other tiles shouldn't be too resource heavy.

Sent from my kick-*** TITAN using Board Express

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I cancelled my internet for short while so I needed a smartphone to conviently check email among other things. I called Verizon to upgrade, and the HTC trophy specs sounded good. When the rep said, "but it's a windows phone", I still ordered it. ....little did I know what a windows phone was..

Anyway, why can't they just make the OPTION to have the tiles live or not? I had apps that I always used but post-mango they suddenly started flipping and I had to unpin them.

Being honest, I dont want unnecessary options integrated into the OS because a minority of people fail to research the phone/OS they're buying. Live Tiles are a key function to WP. You either dig it or you dont.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I actually only have a few live tiles. Some are good, most are butt ugly when they flip. The photos are very low res. I know the Engadget, ROWI and WPC own app is guilty of this. The only great live tile app that I'm using is weather live and the people hub. We might need an thread for apps with "good" live tiles.

I think WP7 live tiles are the bread and butter of WP7 though. Hopefully devs will get better making apps using this feature.

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

some apps do have that option, u didn't need to unpin them.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Being honest, I dont want unnecessary options integrated into the OS because a minority of people fail to research the phone/OS they're buying. Live Tiles are a key function to WP. You either dig it or you dont.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Its not really unnecessary. Options are good. Some people may like alot of other things about the os, some may love the live tiles. My opinion is completely unbiased because I didn't choose wp7 for any reason over another os. My questions and suggestions come from experiencing this phone. My opinions matter because Im among the 90% of people Microsoft needs to target.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Thats a great idea and I'll try that..but still no answer to setting a static pic for the people tile or turning off the cycling through pictures. I kinda figured because there's not many options in the settings menus. As for the battery, I don't know why...it just seems to last a bit longer.

You're right that there's no setting for it, but to quote my earlier response, "You can use this to make tiles static."

Just make that single tile into a "themed" tile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)