Surface Duo is on salefor over 50% off!

With the 8107 update rolling out I started to wonder who is responsible for updates on my phone that I purchased unlocked. The phone is Samsung Omnia W and I don't see any branding. The only preset carrier thing that I have noticed is that the APN settings in the Wireless Manager application that shipped with the phone are prefilled with UK's O2 servers when manual settings is selected (the default is automatic).

So who is responsible for updates on unlocked phones in general and if I have to look for a specific branding where do I look?
    01-08-2012 07:06 AM
    It's up to Samsung in your case Eirenarch, I also have an unlocked HTC Titan, I'm still waiting on the 8107 update too.

They'll get round to it eventually. (Samsung & HTC)

In theory we should get the update before the carriers do, but don't depend on it.

(Unbranded Samsung Omnia 7's still haven't received the Tethering update)
    Last edited by TheWeeBear; 01-08-2012 at 07:21 AM.
    01-08-2012 07:10 AM
    Very good question, I'm in the same situation. I bought my Lumia directly at Nokia Store (and I'm still waiting for the new update)
    01-08-2012 08:59 AM
    My phone is branded.. N I'm still waiting lol........ So if your still waiting. Probly normal

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express
    01-08-2012 09:59 AM
    I do not expect to receive the update much faster I just want to know where I can find information and where I should complain. Anyone know what the official Samsung support channel for WP is?
    01-08-2012 11:43 AM
    My phone is branded.. N I'm still waiting lol........ So if your still waiting. Probly normal

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express
    Well, not really normal. If Carriers need to "request" an update and also "test" updates (according to Microsoft) updates through them should always take more time. If I shell out $600-700 for an unbranded Nokia, I expect it to get "all" updates in a timely manner, after Nokia does whatever they do to approve it. Good question from the OP. Btw, my keyboard dropped out twice while typing this. Arrggg.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    01-08-2012 11:49 AM
    The update isn't rolling out to the masses yet. They are still in the soak test phase so only a very limited number of people have received the update officially.
    01-08-2012 01:53 PM
    why should carriers make the request to update? This is a OS update
    not firmware/driver update.

It should be up to us, customer, who request the update.

So here we go. We request an update, Microsoft.

Heck, actually we shouldn't even requested it. We should be entitled for it. It is a bug fix. And it is MS responsiblity to fix it.

I can't even begin to comprehend why it is up to carriers' request. MS should push this update ASAP. It is MS responsibility!!

Unbelievable
    01-08-2012 11:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD