New to Windows Phone, help!

wp7

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I just got an HTC Trophy two days ago, it's my first smartphone. I have two problems that are preventing me enjoying my phone. My carrier is Verizon.

I can't send pictures in my text messages but I can receive them. I get this error: "Can't send media content. Contact your mobile operator to adjust your settings." I've called Verizon and they told me I should be able to send pictures. Is this a Windows Phone issue? My picture file size is only 50Kb so I know size is not the issue.

I cannot connect to Gmail. I have tried 100 different ways and my phone will NOT sync to Gmail. It syncs to Windows Live (of course) and I can use Gmail fine if I log in through IE. I tried the Google setting, the Other setting and the Advanced. All it ever does is ask me for my password over and over again and I'm 100% certain I'm entering it correctly. I do have IMAP turned on in the Gmail settings also.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Can't help with GMail, but attaching photos to texts should work (working fine on my AT&T Surround). Are you new to Verizon? Did this feature work on any previous phone? Verizon may have certain restrictions on MMS messaging? Not sure.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

wp7

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Jimski, I've had Verizon for two years and had no problem sending pics on my previous phone. Verizon's phone support has been lackluster so I may talk to someone at one their stores tomorrow.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't have Verizon, so I'm not sure if they have any strange issues. There are several Trophy users on the forum though.

But I am certain that you should be able to send pictures via text message. My 3 yr old does it all the time. So there may be some strange setting I don't know of that's messing with you.

Also, my Gmail account synced just fine on my first try.

You do have a data plan associated with your account I assume. Hopefully someone on Verizon will be able to help.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I've heard for some people that HTC's Connection Setup app has helped them for the pictures problem. Be forewarned though, for Sprint users I've read it's screwed up some data settings. So before you take the plunge and use that app do a search on how it affects the Trophy on Verizon.

wp7

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to mention that I have in fact tried the HTC Connection utility. I did this after the problems started. After running it nothing seemed to change.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I can't really help with your problem, but I do have a trophy and I can send pictures in text messages with no problem. I never had problems with syncing my gmail either. Hope somebody can get you going with your phone.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Weird. I have the Trophy and I've had a problem with neither. Try dialing *228 and try option 1 and/or 2 (I can't remember which is which, but neither will hurt the phone. It'll just take more of your time). It will play funky music and then it'll restart your phone. Then try sending a MMS again.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Make sure your not on WIFI and that cell data is turned on. If that's not it I have had times where in a week signal text messages wouldn't send but that was all messages text and picture. Can't help you with the Gmail it has always worked fine for me.

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I have an odd issue with gmail which took me some time to resolve. Perhaps you have a similar issue? My google log in id is my personal email address (the one through my carrier). My gmail email address is different. I can do everything on google using EITHER email address as my username. However, on my windows phone, when I added gmail, it would ONLY work if I used my gmail username.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Can you confirm that your data connection is on and not just your WiFi?

I have no suggestions regarding GMail since I don't use it.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I forgot to mention that I have in fact tried the HTC Connection utility. I did this after the problems started. After running it nothing seemed to change.
When you ran it, did you manually choose the APN? May have to do that. I had to do it on my Focus S with Samsung's tool, but my HTC Titan worked fine.

wp7

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas.

I went to a verizon store and they got my picture messages working. She told me I had no data setup but refused to answer why since my verizon account says I have used over 2MB already. I literally asked her why it wasn't on and she didn't say anything (she was rude overall but that's beside the point lol). I also had data turned on in my settings the whole time.

I still cannot figure out why Gmail won't work. I confirmed to her at the store twice that I was entering the right password but it will only ever say "Attention required" and ask me for my password again. When I logged into Windows Live it worked the first time. I'm really at a loss.

wp7

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This phone has been a nightmare! I ran the connection utility and could no longer send picture messages again. I did a hard reset, reactivated by phone and now it says "Can't send message" I hate this stupid phone!

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Should work.

I just sent an MMS with a pic attached from my Vzw Trophy to my Vzw Blackberry. Then turned it around and sent a new MMS with pic attached from my Vzw Blackberry to my Vzw Trophy.
No special setups needed on the Trophy.

Hope that helps.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I just got an HTC Trophy two days ago, it's my first smartphone. I have two problems that are preventing me enjoying my phone. My carrier is Verizon.

I can't send pictures in my text messages but I can receive them. I get this error: "Can't send media content. Contact your mobile operator to adjust your settings." I've called Verizon and they told me I should be able to send pictures. Is this a Windows Phone issue? My picture file size is only 50Kb so I know size is not the issue.

I cannot connect to Gmail. I have tried 100 different ways and my phone will NOT sync to Gmail. It syncs to Windows Live (of course) and I can use Gmail fine if I log in through IE. I tried the Google setting, the Other setting and the Advanced. All it ever does is ask me for my password over and over again and I'm 100% certain I'm entering it correctly. I do have IMAP turned on in the Gmail settings also.

I used a Trophy on Verizon and never had a problem with this.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas.

I went to a verizon store and they got my picture messages working. She told me I had no data setup but refused to answer why since my verizon account says I have used over 2MB already. I literally asked her why it wasn't on and she didn't say anything (she was rude overall but that's beside the point lol). I also had data turned on in my settings the whole time.

I still cannot figure out why Gmail won't work. I confirmed to her at the store twice that I was entering the right password but it will only ever say "Attention required" and ask me for my password again. When I logged into Windows Live it worked the first time. I'm really at a loss.

I DID have this exact Gmail problem after a reset. After several dozen tries, it finally worked, but just refused to work despite being completely correct and double & triple checking. No rhyme or reason to this. Head-scratcher. Have not had this problem on other WP phones... just the trophy, just that once...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss