How Microsoft could gain an easy 5-10% marketshare with Windows Phone...

scrapple

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
With the millions of Halo fans out there, it would be easy for Microsoft to buy one of these companies that makes those IOS halo clones, and tell them to make a real Halo game.

Then at E3, announce the game exclusive to the Windows Phone, and boooom, you would have so many kiddies and adults who have to have their halo, go out and get a windows phone just to have Halo on the road.

Heck, port Halo 1 with online play to a windows phone and they would be golden.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I think if you want to go that route more people play modern warfare and battlefield than play halo.

Maybe, but Halo is a property owned my Microsoft. I haven't bought a game on my WP7 device yet, but I'd spend up to $15 on an exclusive Halo game. ****, I'd even consider buying a "Halo phone" off contract. Halo is my favorite series of all time, and considering its popularity, millions of other people like it too.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Millions of people like Halo sure, but like it enough to buy a phone and likely commit to a contract into the bargain? I really doubt it. There's a big difference between buying a ?40 game you can trade in when finished and buying a ?300+ phone plus contract cost for 18 months or so - and that's even assuming their contract is up at the right time.

Totally agree that some decent first-party games are long overdue though (Halo, Gears of War etc.)

svtfmook

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
microsoft would benefit more from gaining control of their own marketplace, clean out the crappy apps and focus on devs that make good apps.

that, and advertising.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
microsoft would benefit more from gaining control of their own marketplace, clean out the crappy apps and focus on devs that make good apps.

that, and advertising.

And getting more of the dev's that are on the other platforms to make their apps for wp also.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I honestly think this would be a great idea. Leverage some of these exclusive properties and make them WP exclusive. Why stop at Halo? Throw in Gears of War. Throw in Fable (and i DO NOT mean Coin Golf, I mean an honest to goodness Fable game). Make a Forza Mobile. What I think would be really cool would be to launch a line of phone analogous to the Nexus line and give them Xbox branding. Instead of being an HTC or a Samsung something it would be a Microsoft Xbox Mobile with Windows Phone. Make it appealing by bundling some of these Xbox title in with the phone and giving it an Xbox-esque design.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
If they want real marketshare they better make Bing Maps as good as the iPhone Maps app, get an iMovie equivalent and get better hardware.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
You know what with all the buzz right now WP can really do it! If MS dedicates E3 to WP, and Xbox Live on Windows 8 they can really turn heads and next year can be the annoucement of the 720.

For example think how easy it would be for people to start gaming against each other. I know steam is there but the common non PC gamer doesn't know alot about Steam. If Xbox Live is built into the PC more people can easily pick up and play games like CS, Quake etc and earn achievements with their gamertag.

Also I suspect Microsoft maybe releasing a Xbox Live controller attachment onto their Windows 8 phones and if Windows 8 has the dual core hotness then it might just be able to play XBLA games on the go which is HUGE for the platform.

This is a very big year for MS and it started off by winning CES and IMO they did now its time to win over MWC

M

mkr10001

If they want real marketshare they better make Bing Maps as good as the iPhone Maps app, get an iMovie equivalent and get better hardware.

Nokia maps > any iPhone maps app.

At least the one on Symbian. Nokia drive and maps on wp7 need taking to that level, I.e. TOTALLY offline maps and navigation

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Nokia maps on WP isn't quite there yet (Nokia Drive is excellent though), but I do prefer it to Bing maps already. It's much easier to read and use, even if it does have slightly less functionality.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Nokia maps on WP isn't quite there yet (Nokia Drive is excellent though), but I do prefer it to Bing maps already. It's much easier to read and use, even if it does have slightly less functionality.

Bing Maps are too monochrome compared to Google Maps. People like color.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

Google maps is hands down the best and bing/iphone(even though it uses maps) is far behind especially when it comes to turn by turn voice navigation.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Google maps is hands down the best and bing/iphone(even though it uses maps) is far behind especially when it comes to turn by turn voice navigation.

So we're in agreement. Windows Phone is far inferior in doing the basics of what a smartphone is expected to do in 2012. Sure it has all those nifty live tiles and integrated social networking, but who cares if the map application doesn't work correctly or I can't create a movie on my WP7.5 and then share it on Twitter?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb