WP7 Without Data or Voice?

eluros

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Greetings,

I very much like my Zune HD, but it's getting a bit small for my music collection and I'd like the ability to access the applications available to WP7. I have someone who may be interested in buying it, which means I'm in the market for the next step up. My current phone is still in contract, but I'd like to upgrade to a new MP3player that could (if I choose) eventually be used as a phone.

If I were to purchase an unlocked WP7 device, could I use it on Wifi only without having a Voice or Data plan? If not, I'll probably get an Android Galaxy Player.

Thanks!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If you don't need to place phone calls or text messages, then you could use it over WiFi. I use my Samsung Focus as a WiFi only device. And I only put a SIM in it when I travel overseas since it's unlocked.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You can buy a locked phone and do the same thing. Doesn't have to be unlocked to be used. Well, I know the Samsung Focus was that way. Can't speak for other phones.

eluros

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
If you don't need to place phone calls or text messages, then you could use it over WiFi. I use my Samsung Focus as a WiFi only device. And I only put a SIM in it when I travel overseas since it's unlocked.

You can buy a locked phone and do the same thing. Doesn't have to be unlocked to be used. Well, I know the Samsung Focus was that way. Can't speak for other phones.

Good to know; thanks so much! I'm considering picking up a Samsung Focus I917, which is like $230 on Amazon. It's 8GB, and I could pop in a 32GB card for 40GB of space, which would be great. I'd have an MP3 player for a few months, and after my existing contract runs out, I potentially will already have a smartphone if I want to use it. :)

Appreciate the quick responses.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Good to know; thanks so much! I'm considering picking up a Samsung Focus I917, which is like $230 on Amazon. It's 8GB, and I could pop in a 32GB card for 40GB of space, which would be great. I'd have an MP3 player for a few months, and after my existing contract runs out, I potentially will already have a smartphone if I want to use it. :)

Appreciate the quick responses.

$230!

You can probably find it on craigslist for way cheaper (unless you don't have craigslist then nevermind :D)

eluros

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
$230!

You can probably find it on craigslist for way cheaper (unless you don't have craigslist then nevermind :D)

My wife and I live in a rural area, and it's actually more expensive than that on Craigslist unless I want a four hour drive. $250 is what they seem to be listed for in my area. Even if I could get it down to $230, I'd rather just grab it online.

Living in the country has advantages (cheaper quality of life, fresh air, etc), but when the nearest dedicated electronics store (Best Buy) is an hour and a half away, it's certainly an adjustment. :)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Also, keep in mind that the expandable memory has been known to be pretty quirky. Lots of people have had trouble getting 32 GB cards to work.

You might want to keep a device handy that is capable of reformatting a secured SD card in case it doesn't work and you have to try a different one.

Here is a good thread in XDA-Developers to read up on what cards people have had success with. [REF] Working SD Cards List - xda-developers

eluros

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Also, keep in mind that the expandable memory has been known to be pretty quirky. Lots of people have had trouble getting 32 GB cards to work.

You might want to keep a device handy that is capable of reformatting a secured SD card in case it doesn't work and you have to try a different one.

Here is a good thread in XDA-Developers to read up on what cards people have had success with. [REF] Working SD Cards List - xda-developers

That's a bit scary-- there were no known working 32GB Micro SD cards on that list. Is this a Focus-specific issue, or a WP7 issue?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That's a bit scary-- there were no known working 32GB Micro SD cards on that list. Is this a Focus-specific issue, or a WP7 issue?

When MS designed WP, they didn't intend for it to be able to use expandable memory. That's why if you put a card in, it's permanent unless you wipe your phone. You can't put it in and take it out. It becomes part of the phone.

But MS didn't expect this to be user accessible. They thought that OEMs would just put the cards inside the phone.

Samsung went against the grain and made it user accessible. It apparently worked with most of the Samsung cards. (Samsung is also a semiconductor company and makes flash memory)

Samsung's cards are apparently great at random read/write speeds. And that's what WP needs.

However, all consumer cards are optimized for serial read/write speeds. There is no consumer card that is tested for random read/write speeds. So a card that you pick up MIGHT have good random read/write, and it might not. Nobody knows because each card isn't made for that and isn't tested for it. You might get two exact same branded cards of the same class and have two different results since it's not something they check for.

So the solution seems like it would be to get a Samsung card, right? But Samsung doesn't retail the cards. Though I do believe there's someone on ebay that people have been able to get Samsung cards from. But I think they're only 16 GB.

Also, from what I understand, the 8 GB SanDisk class 2 is a pretty safe bet. But other than that, it's hit and miss. Some people have had great luck with 32 GB cards. Others haven't.

eluros

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
When MS designed WP, they didn't intend for it to be able to use expandable memory. That's why if you put a card in, it's permanent unless you wipe your phone. You can't put it in and take it out. It becomes part of the phone.

But MS didn't expect this to be user accessible. They thought that OEMs would just put the cards inside the phone.

Samsung went against the grain and made it user accessible. It apparently worked with most of the Samsung cards. (Samsung is also a semiconductor company and makes flash memory)

Samsung's cards are apparently great at random read/write speeds. And that's what WP needs.

However, all consumer cards are optimized for serial read/write speeds. There is no consumer card that is tested for random read/write speeds. So a card that you pick up MIGHT have good random read/write, and it might not. Nobody knows because each card isn't made for that and isn't tested for it. You might get two exact same branded cards of the same class and have two different results since it's not something they check for.

So the solution seems like it would be to get a Samsung card, right? But Samsung doesn't retail the cards. Though I do believe there's someone on ebay that people have been able to get Samsung cards from. But I think they're only 16 GB.

Also, from what I understand, the 8 GB SanDisk class 2 is a pretty safe bet. But other than that, it's hit and miss. Some people have had great luck with 32 GB cards. Others haven't.

Alrighty, that's great information. Thanks again-- I really appreciate it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster