Feeling Better about things

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
After the huge Nokia splash at CES (winning best device no less), I am feeling better about prospects. This is because of more than just the CES splash. To wit:

1) Big ad dollars. I actually saw some WP commercials that directed customers to a specific device and caiirer (YAY!!!).

2) Targeted incentives to get the sales people to really look at WP (FINALLY!)

3) Much better phones. Alas only on AT&T (the only extremely stupid part of all this) but it does address the issue of most of the WP phones being obsolete.

Now we just need Nokia to find a way around its exclusivity deal with AT&T and to offer the 900 to Verizon.

tommohammed

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Since the christmas period I have noticed the Marketplace in New Zealand has had quite a few more reviews posted for more apps. While still only about 15 reviews max per app it was rare to have any reviews for any apps seeing as they only sell the htc trophy here :p Still an improvement, and I've still managed to convince a few people to import some phones. However the fact that nokia doesn't seem to acknowledge the existence of Australia and New Zealand is a big kick in the balls for us

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Now we just need Nokia to find a way around its exclusivity deal with AT&T and to offer the 900 to Verizon.

I would hope that it will be similar to the old iPhone exclusivity deal, it might be exclusive for a few months but chances are if it does well Nokia will want to offer it on other carriers.

Either way it's a good start to the year for Windows Phone, looking forward to MWC next month now :)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I am pretty sure Verizon can request a Lumia 925 from Nokia (specs to be determined) today and they would gladly oblige. Provided Verizon agreed to market it properly, which is part of the deal. Apple only had one phone, hence the exclusive thing. Nokia can make as many designs as carriers will pay for. Its up to them.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Since the christmas period I have noticed the Marketplace in New Zealand has had quite a few more reviews posted for more apps. While still only about 15 reviews max per app it was rare to have any reviews for any apps seeing as they only sell the htc trophy here :p Still an improvement, and I've still managed to convince a few people to import some phones. However the fact that nokia doesn't seem to acknowledge the existence of Australia and New Zealand is a big kick in the balls for us

But contracts here are a waste of time anyway, they're so overpriced. Check out Mobicity.co.nz, they sell most Windows phones. It's where I'm gonna get my Titan from

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm most excited that Canada is for sure getting mango devices! Nothing confirmed for my carrier (Bell) and nothing that would be an *upgrade for my HD7, but it's something...

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
After the huge Nokia splash at CES (winning best device no less), I am feeling better about prospects. This is because of more than just the CES splash. To wit:

1) Big ad dollars. I actually saw some WP commercials that directed customers to a specific device and caiirer (YAY!!!).

2) Targeted incentives to get the sales people to really look at WP (FINALLY!)

3) Much better phones. Alas only on AT&T (the only extremely stupid part of all this) but it does address the issue of most of the WP phones being obsolete.

Nokia has said they will be making devices specific to each US Carrier. So its coming

With respect to #3 There's a reason that these phones are on ATT ATT forked over the dough for the making of the phones by Nokia just like airlines pay Boeing or Airbus. ATT has the big bucks Sprint and TMo not so much. VZN has the bucks but they are ambivalent about WP at the present. Its not extremely stupid on ATT's part shortsighted on the part of VZN, and perhaps not econimically feasible for Sprint and TMo right now. And as far as VZN and the 900 they supposedly were offered the 900 and whiffed. Even with the LTE.. (news flash Mango apparently has code for LTE devices hidden in the roms)

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
It's extremely stupid on Nokia's part - it is more important long term to get the "hero" phones on as many carriers as possible as fast as possible than to get some $$$ from AT&T short term. Build market share now and get many more sold phones later.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It's extremely stupid on Nokia's part - it is more important long term to get the "hero" phones on as many carriers as possible as fast as possible than to get some $$$ from AT&T short term. Build market share now and get many more sold phones later.

If it's a new unproven phone available on multiple carriers, the carriers won't make it a hero phone. They want to spend their advertising dollars promoting phones that are exclusive to them.

the_tyrant

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't get too excited now

the palm pre had great reviews and a lot of buzz too

but look at where webos is now

hopefully this will not happen with windows phone 7

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

Palm Pre didn't have an ecosystem like Microsoft's behind it. It was trying to immediately compete with the iPhone and it couldn't compete in all the dimensions. Windows Phone can, especially if you do it through a Microsoft store.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

I think it's safe to say that WP will be here for the long run considering the amount of effort that is being put into along with the endless amount of money Microsoft has. Not to mention, Microsoft is much more capable of making a successful piece of software versus HP.

the_tyrant

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Palm Pre didn't have an ecosystem like Microsoft's behind it. It was trying to immediately compete with the iPhone and it couldn't compete in all the dimensions. Windows Phone can, especially if you do it through a Microsoft store.

Here is where I think Microsoft is screwing up. Microsoft is not embracing the homebrew and internal development crowd.

look at the huge number of .net amateur programmers (I am one), and the huge number of companies with internal programs written in.net

Microsoft is making a huge mistake by not embracing us, by not allowing us to run our own programs on windows phones

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Having a rooted droid has cured me of wanting anything to do with homebrew. I'm sure it's quite different on WP, but I don't want to tinker anymore.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

Nokiua has said they are in process ofg getting the high end phones like 900 or variants built for each specific carrier. Rumor has it a 900 variant with 123 mp camera later this year probably for Tmo. CDMA variants ??? because of Sprint's disdain and VZN's ambivalence.

Dormage

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Nokiua has said they are in process ofg getting the high end phones like 900 or variants built for each specific carrier. Rumor has it a 900 variant with 123 mp camera later this year probably for Tmo. CDMA variants ??? because of Sprint's disdain and VZN's ambivalence.

Were you wasted?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077