The look and "feel" of WP7...

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
We already have a consensus, son. You failed to quantify your position, and you continue to fail. I'd be happy to continue debating the merits (or lack thereof) of your views, but since you apparently cannot support your argument with anything of substance, what's the point? You beat yourself.

First off I'm not your son. Second off you didnt present nothing. Android doesn't look anything like iOS.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
First off I'm not your son. Second off you didnt present nothing. Android doesn't look anything like iOS.

Really? Android looks nothing like iOS?

Ok then. Here's a description of a mobile OS:

Home screens are grids of small, static icons (some with notification bubbles), with a dock of consistent icons at the bottom, and below that a home button. Further screens of icon grids can be set up when you swipe to the side. Tapping on an icon brings up the app associated with it. There is also a consistent top bar showing information such as wifi, battery level, signal strength, and a notifications drawer you can pull down from the top.

What am I describing the basic look of, iOS or Android?

Clue: it's a trick question ;)

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Really? Android looks nothing like iOS?

Ok then. Here's a description of a mobile OS:

Home screens are grids of small, static icons (some with notification bubbles), with a dock of consistent icons at the bottom, and below that a home button. Further screens of icon grids can be set up when you swipe to the side. Tapping on an icon brings up the app associated with it. There is also a consistent top bar showing information such as wifi, battery level, signal strength, and a notifications drawer you can pull down from the top.

What am I describing the basic look of, iOS or Android?

Clue: it's a trick question ;)

WP7 has grid of icon (tiles aren't anything but big icons), Windows OS, Mac OS, Blackberry OS, Android OS, iOS, webOS, etc... All have grid of icons.

WP7, Android, webOS, Blackberry OS, etc all brings up an app associated with it's icon.

WP7, Android, webOS, Blackberry OS, etc... all have top bars associated with information. Just because Microsoft wifi, battery, and phone signal go away doesn't mean it's still not there.

The notification pull down was in Android from the beginning. iOS just got that in iOS 5. WebOS had something just like that except it was at the bottom of the screen.

Everything you just said all the OSs have (Minus Notification shade for WP7, which it needs!). But none of the OSs look alike. WP7 doesn't look like Android, Android doesn't look like iOS, ETC...

Last edited:

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Did somebody really say people will get tired of Metro seriouslly we had icon grids like forever Metro is a breath of fresh air. I'm tired of icon grids its too old school not enough information too cluterred not fun.

I love metro you can see whats going on without opening the app great for weather, tech blogs, stocks anything with numbers and its so easy to get around its like a breath of fresh air for me no more icon grids way to bland.

My opinions

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
WP7 has grid of icon (tiles aren't anything but big icons), Windows OS, Mac OS, Blackberry OS, Android OS, iOS, webOS, etc... All have grid of icons.

WP7, Android, webOS, Blackberry OS, etc all brings up an app associated with it's icon.

WP7, Android, webOS, Blackberry OS, etc... all have top bars associated with information. Just because Microsoft wifi, battery, and phone signal go away doesn't mean it's still not there.

The notification pull down was in Android from the beginning. iOS just got that in iOS 5. WebOS had something just like that except it was at the bottom of the screen.

Everything you just said all the OSs have (Minus Notification shade for WP7, which it needs!). But none of the OSs look alike. WP7 doesn't look like Android, Android doesn't look like iOS, ETC...

I said small, static icons. Tiles do not look the same. Similarly, webOS does not have a grid-based homescreen - just a dock.

Seriously, give up with this one. Anyone can see that out of the mobile OSs around, Android and iOS look the most similar. To say they look nothing like each other is an absurd level of denial

MannLou

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Just to be clear we're talking about visual styles and MSFT has decided to go with a minimalist UI and add functionality (live tiles) and a simplistic vector style graphical representation of the application it represents. As more designers embrace the Metro asthetic the deign and polish of the apps will improve. I have seen some really well designed apps and some that are just ok.

The OS differences are there and that's a great thing. They will always borrow from each other just as folks are borrowing ammo from each to defend the OS they prefer. I'm not sure why people get crazy over their particular choice and try to convince others to go with their preference. I guess I'll never understand that. I do get liking the OS you choose and wanting to share its best features with people though.

Sent from my kick-*** TITAN using Board Express

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Did somebody really say people will get tired of Metro seriouslly we had icon grids like forever Metro is a breath of fresh air. I'm tired of icon grids its too old school not enough information too cluterred not fun.

Of course people will inevitably get tired of metro. For one thing it'll be all over the place soon so exposure will be much, much higher, and this is the world of tech we're talking about: today's breath of fresh air is tomorrow's stale waft.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

This!

By that guy's point of home screens, grids, and icons, that means Android, iOS, BlackBerry and Palm OS all look the same. They might look similar in some aspects but they're all very different. Honestly, why do you think some people are just die hard Apple fans while others are die hard Android fans and then you've got your BlackBerry fanbase.

They're all different. Besides, you could change the way Android and iOS look entirely if you really wanted to (without even rooting on Android).

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, shame he left the specifics I mentioned in my post out when he made his and went for generalisations instead, otherwise he'd have been bang on ;)

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I said small, static icons. Tiles do not look the same. Similarly, webOS does not have a grid-based homescreen - just a dock.

Seriously, give up with this one. Anyone can see that out of the mobile OSs around, Android and iOS look the most similar. To say they look nothing like each other is an absurd level of denial

I would agree if you said Samsung TouchWiz, but I do not think HTC Sense, stock Android and especially ICS, look at all like iOS. TouchWiz is the only one that looks like iOS, IMO.

Besides that, if WebOS doesn't either, then neither does BlackBerry, as their new OS looks extremely similar to WebOS.
IOS is in dire need of a real UI change, IMO. Every other platform is changing with the times, with UI, except them.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
There are certain features that are ubiquitous to mobile phone OSes, so there have to be some similarities between them all. It just so happens that iOS and Android are a little too similar, and that is plain as day. No one said that they're identical, but as it's been noted repeatedly, Android intentionally incorporates design elements used in iOS.

I'm not an iOS fan, but you have to give the devil his due. Nor am I an Android hater. In fact, I came to WP7 from two consecutive Android devices. I prefer the customization of Android over iOS, but I got tired of the crappy battery life and the extreme hardware requirements that didn't completely fix the performance issues. That's why I'm now a WP7 user.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

touchwiz is samsungs Ui, but it is still android and it looks exactly like ios, with the same icon images. and the thing is... no matter how vague you break it down to, stock android even uses some of the same icon images as ios. the idea from the beginning was to look like ios... everyone knows that. tiles are nothing like icons.

either way it doesnt matter, its all opinion really.... so who cars, right?

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
touchwiz is samsungs Ui, but it is still android and it looks exactly like ios, with the same icon images. and the thing is... no matter how vague you break it down to, stock android even uses some of the same icon images as ios. the idea from the beginning was to look like ios... everyone knows that. tiles are nothing like icons.

either way it doesnt matter, its all opinion really.... so who cars, right?

Touchwiz is not Android.

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site

No the don't. WebOS launcher is a grid of icons. Thee home screen is still a grid. You can't just place those 4 icon anywhere.

Android takes more of a desktop approach to things. Not at all like iOS.

iOS is just a launcher. No homescreen. Just aa launcher.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
No the don't. WebOS launcher is a grid of icons. Thee home screen is still a grid. You can't just place those 4 icon anywhere.

Android takes more of a desktop approach to things. Not at all like iOS.

iOS is just a launcher. No homescreen. Just aa launcher.

But functionality wasn't the point - you said they didn't LOOK anything like each other, when they clearly do. And the closest two are iOS and Android.

Here's stock ICS:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/09/ics-20110928.jpg

Here's iOS:
http://cdn.mobiclue.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/iOS-4.0-screenshots.jpg

Here's Web OS:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TNE7UxGua..._BN4Tguigo/s1600/palm-pre-webos-wikipedia.jpg

Here's WP7:
http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/winphone2.jpg

Here's BB:
http://newsgadgetcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/blackberry-OS-7.jpg

You are absolutely kidding yourself if you think one OS that displays small static icons 4 across per row looks nothing like another OS that displays small static icons 4 across per row.

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
its not? is it web os? or blackberry? or are you saying touchwiz is its own operating system?

Touchwiz is a proprietary skin from Samsung for their specific Android devices. It is not Android. It comes from Samsung in-house OS Bada.

That's like saying Sense UI is Windows Mobile because the HD2 and HTC Touch Pro had Sense UI. It's ludicrous.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon