The look and "feel" of WP7...

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
not even going to go there kid, watch your mouth...

No, you just need to hush yours since you been spewing BS throughout this whole thread. You know nothing of iOS or Android. Your knowledge of these two operating systems comes off as if a Microsoft rep schooled you on the OSs.

Last edited:

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
But, they don't look identical. There is a single part of the android OS that looks like iOS, but that is not even the basic resting point that the user sits on top of.

Everything the user does is centered around and radiates from the homescreen. In WP7 this homescreen is called a start page, and is a grid of big squares. In iOS it is a grid of small squares with rounded corners. In Android it is a blank page that is populated to be as easy and intuitive for the individual using it.
They can pull their applications over from a grid when they need them, but the area the user resides is not in the app drawer, but rather their home of their own making on their homescreens.

You cannot say two operating systems look identical because there is a grid located somewhere within both of them. They look completely different, because the central point/hub of the operating system looks completely different, unless effort is taken to make them look identical.

This! Fing This!

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately this thread has been marred by needless insults, most of which originated from the same person.

My original general description of Android was iOS with widgets and live wallpaper. I think the back and forth thusfar on this thread only strengthens this position. Clearly, one can choose to populate all their homescreens with widgets and not put a single app icon in Android, but most people will put at least some app icons on some pages. The rest (ie. status bar up top, static dock at the bottom) is strikingly similar on both iOS and Android.

ICS is, amongst other things, an effort to differentiate Android from iOS (eg. going from hard-set buttons to rotating virtual buttons). Perhaps at some point Android will evolve to something truly unique, but at this point it remains (arguably) derivative of iOS.

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately this thread has been marred by needless insults, most of which originated from the same person.

My original general description of Android was iOS with widgets and live wallpaper. I think the back and forth thusfar on this thread only strengthens this position. Clearly, one can choose to populate all their homescreens with widgets and not put a single app icon in Android, but most people will put at least some app icons on some pages. The rest (ie. status bar up top, static dock at the bottom) is strikingly similar on both iOS and Android.

ICS is, amongst other things, an effort to differentiate Android from iOS (eg. going from hard-set buttons to rotating virtual buttons). Perhaps at some point Android will evolve to something truly unique, but at this point it remains (arguably) derivative of iOS.

WP7 is a copycat of iOS 3. Black background, square icons with notification number, simplistic UI, started off without copy and paste, no real multitasking, no flash. Yep just another iPhone copycat.

Or wait, is Microsoft trying to copy webOS with it's card view for task switching?
See what I did there?

Last edited:

Roadkillin

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

But... even when people put icons on their homescreens they rarely put big grids of icons. Just the ones they want access to at a moments notice.

With iOS no matter what you will have a series of 4x4 grids of icons.
With WP7 you will have a 4x2 grid of big icons that show random pictures if you follow social networking and want to tell MS who you and all the people you know are, or nothing but numbers telling you how many missed calls/sms messages/other things you've received.
Android is a blank slate, which has 4x4 slots for anything, you can put icons in some of these and get a substantial amount at that.

BUT... the point is it takes substantial effort to fill screen after screen in order to get your beloved grid of icons while if you like you can still have your grid a tap away.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
After looking at the posts I can see how koolkid's point has merit if one were to construe similarities in the strictest sense. However, I think when people say Android and iOS look similar they're referring to things in the more general sense; that is namely at first glance at both after all is said and done, one could come to the conclusion that the two look the same given one would see a 4x4 matrix of icons.

Granted Android has widgets which would give provide updated information over a majority of static iOS apps but again, at first glance it's not an unreasonable conclusion.

Contrasted with WP7 then and others like WebOS, again on first glance, I think some one would reasonably say those look different. Likewise there arguably is some strength to that assertion provided that the late Steve Jobs was pissed at Eric Schmidt for what he called a rip off of the iPhone.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Jesus Christ I'm dealing with an idiot.

Look Touchwiz is not Android. Android is Android. Touchwiz is a skin on top of Android.

On the image you just showed me show the laucher of Touchwiz not the homescreen. I'm not saying Samsung didn't try to make Touchwiz look and feel like iOS, but as far as Android the way Google released it. It looks nothing like iOS.

And you still haven't responded to this statement.

"That's like saying Sense UI is Windows Mobile because the HD2 and HTC Touch Pro had Sense UI. It's ludicrous."

Until you have a valid responds for that, your argument is ****.

oh goodie...

*gets the popcorn out and watches to see how much longer before this one to get stomped...*

geez dude, I've had more than a few thoughts of various terms I could use to describe you over the course of this thread but, in the interest of civility I have thus far resisted those urges. You see, we try to disagree politely around here (and for the most part we manage it). If however you insist on being unnecessarily rude and insulting (which is usually a good sign of a weak arguement) then the mods will be along shortly to explain things to you a bit more bluntly. So please, be nice or go away.

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
After looking at the posts I can see how koolkid's point has merit if one were to construe similarities in the strictest sense. However, I think when people say Android and iOS look similar they're referring to things in the more general sense; that is namely at first glance at both after all is said and done, one could come to the conclusion that the two look the same given one would see a 4x4 matrix of icons.

Granted Android has widgets which would give provide updated information over a majority of static iOS apps but again, at first glance it's not an unreasonable conclusion.

Contrasted with WP7 then and others like WebOS, again on first glance, I think some one would reasonably say those look different. Likewise there arguably is some strength to that assertion provided that the late Steve Jobs was pissed at Eric Schmidt for what he called a rip off of the iPhone.

At first glance to an uneducated user, everything looks like an iPhone because that is what people know.

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
oh goodie...

*gets the popcorn out and watches to see how much longer before this one to get stomped...*

geez dude, I've had more than a few thoughts of various terms I could use to describe you over the course of this thread but, in the interest of civility I have thus far resisted those urges. You see, we try to disagree politely around here (and for the most part we manage it). If however you insist on being unnecessarily rude and insulting (which is usually a good sign of a weak arguement) then the mods will be along shortly to explain things to you a bit more bluntly. So please, be nice or go away.

So you had nothing to add to the discussion? Thanks for further derailing this topic.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
OK, before this goes thermonuclear, here's my thinking:

For comparison purposes, two OSs that look genuinely different: the Xbox dashboard and the PS3 xmb interface.

Two OSs that look similar in some capacities even though they don't operate identically: Android and iOS (and WebOS, and BB OS, and to a lesser extent WP)

That's it.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
it already went thermonuclear, lol... its funny when people get so upset over a forum blog they have to start throwing insults... i guess we are all very passionate about our electronics!

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
So you had nothing to add to the discussion? Thanks for further derailing this topic.

oooo.... wow, I've really been put in my place now. I totally forgot that you were the only person here who's opinions and ideas matter. :rolleyes:

okay seriously, if you got nothing out of what I had to say then I'm done with you because I've really got better things to do than bother with your type, be it on this forum or any others. I thought it MIGHT be worth a try to see if you would be willing to listen to some friendly advice to be civil but, clearly not the case so, welcome to my ignore list.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
oooo.... wow, I've really been put in my place now. I totally forgot that you were the only person here who's opinions and ideas matter. :rolleyes:

okay seriously, if you got nothing out of what I had to say then I'm done with you because I've really got better things to do than bother with your type, be it on this forum or any others. I thought it MIGHT be worth a try to see if you would be willing to listen to some friendly advice to be civil but, clearly not the case so, welcome to my ignore list.

Some people come here just to start trouble. Don't let it get to you. The majority of the people that participate in this forum are respectful and polite. It's a shame that some people weren't taught better manners growing up.

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Some people come here just to start trouble. Don't let it get to you. The majority of the people that participate in this forum are respectful and polite. It's a shame that some people weren't taught better manners growing up.

I did not come to start trouble. I usually just lurked here. But people here are so uneducated on the competition and they look very ignorant when trying to back their statement.

What I hate more than anything on the internet is fanboys. Using anything they dont agree with to call someone a troll. I've been Caledonia a troll on AC because I complained about the Nexus update. Same on Precentral to.

I'm just trying to educate that's all.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I did not come to start trouble. I usually just lurked here. But people here are so uneducated on the competition and they look very ignorant when trying to back their statement.

What I hate more than anything on the internet is fanboys. Using anything they dont agree with to call someone a troll. I've been Caledonia a troll on AC because I complained about the Nexus update. Same on Precentral to.

I'm just trying to educate that's all.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

There's educating, and then there's being a ******. You're being a ******.

Look, do iOS and Android look alike? Yes. You know what else looks like iOS and Android? Bada, Symbian, BB OS, Web OS... I don't care about grids or whatever, they all have the same icon-based design concepts. If you can't admit it, you're a ******.

Windows Phone is the only one of those that looks truly different and unique. Get over it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb