AT&T Announce New Data Plans (Effective January 22nd)

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
They dont have a 2gb anymore. Still pissed that tethering costs extra. Where is the oversight regulatory commission on that crap? At least they give you 2gb extra with the tethering plan on top of the $30 plan, but its still crap. Even if I get the 300mb plan I should be able to use tethering. Why does ATT get to decide how I can use my data? I do not even know why they care? Bandwidth is bandwidth. Not like 1mb of transfer is any different on a tablet vs a phone. Maybe someone could enlighten me as to the reason besides just another money grab for ATT.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Can't believe these prices. :(

On 3 UK I have unlimited data (no caps & included tethering) 5000 sms's 7000 minutes for $30 USD

Glad I'm here and not there LOL :D

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well I have to try and boast about something duvi. :D

Kissy Kissy to 3. :)

Even more kisses if they get a lovely new Nokia WP for me. :D

the_fly68

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the 2GB plan for $25, so I guess $5 for an extra GB isn't bad. See? Just depends on how you look at it! :)

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I have unlimited data for 10 bucks and still want to get away from my carrier.

My plan has 3GB of 3G speeds and then I get edge after they run out, the thing is that I had only used more than that once so it might as well be unlimited for me. And that means that I could get the beautiful Lumia 900.

mmm tentation tentation :)

Edit: Just made some math, there's no way I can afford that. Oh Lumia 900 why can't we be together? :(

Last edited:

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
They dont have a 2gb anymore. Still pissed that tethering costs extra. Where is the oversight regulatory commission on that crap? At least they give you 2gb extra with the tethering plan on top of the $30 plan, but its still crap. Even if I get the 300mb plan I should be able to use tethering. Why does ATT get to decide how I can use my data? I do not even know why they care? Bandwidth is bandwidth. Not like 1mb of transfer is any different on a tablet vs a phone. Maybe someone could enlighten me as to the reason besides just another money grab for ATT.

I completely agree with you. I want to take a stab at the reasoning behind their thinking.

1) business will pay it
2) customers will have a hard time keeping under their allotted sum

Well for reason one there is nothing I can say because business will pay. Reason two should be the responsibility of the consumer to gauge their usage.

Last edited:

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Its an easy way to suck $5 more out of each smartphone user. Most won't change their browsing habits and will stay under 2gb.
I'm happier and happier at&t&t was rejected. I can't believe at&t will get away with this un-scaved... Where is he competition...?

I completely agree with you. I want to take a stab at the reasoning behind their thinking.

1) business will pay it

2) customers will have a hard time keeping under their allotted sum

Well for reason one there is nothing I can say because business will. Reason two should be the responsibility of the consumer to gauge their usage.

Sent from my TITAN using Board Express

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the 2GB plan for $25, so I guess $5 for an extra GB isn't bad. See? Just depends on how you look at it! :)
That's exactly how they want everyone to look at it, however if one never doesn't go over 2GB, then the extra $5 are wasted every month. Same thing would happen to me if I change my $15/200MB for a $20/300MB data plan. I don't go over 200MB, so why give them an extra $5 every month?

Eff AT&T.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Its an easy way to suck $5 more out of each smartphone user.
EXACTLY
...I'm happier and happier at&t&t was rejected. I can't believe at&t will get away with this un-scaved... Where is he competition...?
Are you referring to the T-Mo merger? Yes, I'm also glad it didn't go through. Can you imagine if that went through and there wasn't a GSM competitor in the US?

My contract will be up in November and I will look at other carriers for the first time in 9 years.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Not good for Microsoft. Dumbphone users will stay dumb, unless there is a reasonably priced, reasonable capped plan. An $15/500MB plan would add 10M (or 20M) new smartphone users. 200MB was not enough for a Windows Phone, even with light usage. AT&T doesn't. get it.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm partially to blame for this. It was just the other day I was in the "Is AT&T really that bad?" thread and I said that AT&T is always trying to raise prices. Whadda ya know, they raised prices. It's like I predicated it. I guess this is AT&T's way of "passing on the savings" from their failed acquisition of T-Mobile.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm partially to blame for this. It was just the other day I was in the "Is AT&T really that bad?" thread and I said that AT&T is always trying to raise prices. Whadda ya know, they raised prices. It's like I predicated it. I guess this is AT&T's way of "passing on the savings" from their failed acquisition of T-Mobile.

They have to make up all the money they had to pay tmo some how. And you lucky at&t customers are going to have to pay the difference.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Not good for Microsoft. Dumbphone users will stay dumb, unless there is a reasonably priced, reasonable capped plan. An $15/500MB plan would add 10M (or 20M) new smartphone users. 200MB was not enough for a Windows Phone, even with light usage. AT&T doesn't. get it.
Dumbphone users hardly do any research as to how much data they will use when they move up to a smartphone. They'll listen to whatever bullsh*t estimate AT&T will give them. I would say that yes, 200MB is too low of a cap for a smartphone, but I personally don't go over my 200MB because I avoid using 3G as much as possible. Other people will pay just to not worry about it. AT&T gets it just fine. They get how to keep making money. All of these price hikes are carefully analyzed with tons of metrics. As long as people give them their money, AT&T will take it.

They have to make up all the money they had to pay tmo some how. And you lucky at&t customers are going to have to pay the difference.
Meh, prices only go up in this world. T-Mo or no T-Mo deal, it was going to go up anyway, trust me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05