T-mobile doesn't get it.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately for spec queens, the Radar 4G was T-Mobile's 3rd best selling device in November and December.

Suprise, value is selling. I assume the Lumia 710 will do just as well. Based on the Radar 4G news, its no suprise that T-Mobile thought the Lumia 710 would do a better job for Nokia on their network then say a 800 or 900 at $200. Not to say I don't think they won't expand their WP offering later. But currently they are doing the correct strategy for WP.

Tmobile is the welfare carrier and the phone was cheap. Duh. It's priced for the specs, they don't have any iPhone either. Nor do they have Titan, focus s. they didn't have alumina at that time, or a focus flash. Basically if you wanted a windows phone you had no choice, cause the HD7 is EOL. They don't even have the all touch BB torch and EOL the 9810 which was 4x the price as the identical AT&T device.

No surprise there.

And they still don't have a high end WP7 device.

My TMobile 3G speeds:

View attachment 20184

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
TMobile here is avg 240k in my apt and around the the whole city like downtown. Verizon is 4x that and at&t blows them both out of the water.
I'm moving next month and getting a 4s, which all still resale very nicely she the 5 comes out.

Microsoft's hardware specs and Zune tethering, ignorable app market, and shoddy update process making android manufacturers look pretty good these days, and community (too complacent, imo) just aren't jiving me. Its been over a year now. Patience is nonexistent. I'm Sure Apollo will be nice for you guys, though.

Probably will disappear from here soon.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Different strokes for different folks. :)

Be sure to check back after Apollo and give your input about what you think about the changes.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
My TMobile 3G speeds:

View attachment 20184

I try it on my desktop using internet sharing and here's mine.

captureagj.png

That's on 3G and I find it pretty decent. Though what about those 42MB theoretical T-mobile speeds? I know you will never get those speeds but that's is nowhere even remotely close.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I try it on my desktop using internet sharing and here's mine.

Click to view quoted image

That's on 3G and I find it pretty decent. Though what about those 42MB theoretical T-mobile speeds? I know you will never get those speeds but that's is nowhere even remotely close.

Those speeds are still terrible, AT&T HSPA+ on an HSPA+ 14.4 device is almost 10x that speed here, and Verizon 3G is almost double that. Those are 3G speeds you'd expect from a bad CDMA carrier like Sprint. In the HSPA+ market where I came from T-Mobile download speeds were 3.5+ Mbps on a 3G device (not an HSPA+ device, to make it clear what I'm talking about and upload speeds were over 2Mbps).

And those slow internet speeds waste battery life for obvious reasons (cell radio working longer than on a phone downloading uploading significantly faster) - another issue I'm dealing with. The signal strength here is flawless. They just don't have the infrastructure to support the number of people accessing their network. T-Mobile is the Sprint of GSM in the USA.

Prolly doesn't help that they have a bunch of "Wal-Mart warriors" hopping on their network these days, either...

Different usage patterns are different. I need a faster 3G connection. 0.70 Mbps download speeds and why even bother having a high cap data plan. It's a waste of money, IMO. Why do you think Sprint advertises unlimited data? No one on Sprint 3G is hogging their network, Lol. The only people using a ton of data are those on WiMax devices, which doesn't hit their CDMA towers/system.

And then they raised prices on everyone to subsidize that, even though their phones here take 5 minutes to load m.microsoft.com on a full Sprint 3G signal (no, I'm not exaggerating).

Last edited:

sprocket01

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I still feel that people lose sight of the point that there is nowhere in the world that every carrier is perfect each one has certain geographical areas they excel in. For instance we lived in Northern New England AT&T were not available for 60+ miles Verizon was fair and TMobile was a step above AT&T it was US Cellular that everyone had here Verizon and TMobile are basically on 95% of things neck and neck AT&T is fair and US Cellular is not here at all. So I find it to be wasted breath to argue who is better when it is simpy dependent on location in the case of dropped calls signal strength and speed. Clearly grades of phones is a valid point but services not so much IMO.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't want the better carrier overall. I need the one that suits me best, sadly my carrier is not that. (also now that you mention it, the one I show you is my top speed, I'm mostly on H and on edge the phone doesn't even work)

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I still feel that people lose sight of the point that there is nowhere in the world that every carrier is perfect each one has certain geographical areas they excel in. For instance we lived in Northern New England AT&T were not available for 60+ miles Verizon was fair and TMobile was a step above AT&T it was US Cellular that everyone had here Verizon and TMobile are basically on 95% of things neck and neck AT&T is fair and US Cellular is not here at all. So I find it to be wasted breath to argue who is better when it is simpy dependent on location in the case of dropped calls signal strength and speed. Clearly grades of phones is a valid point but services not so much IMO.

If you think T-Mobile is even close to being on par with AT&T I dunno what to say. That sounds delusional. Why would DT even sell T-Mobile to AT&T if T-Mobile was on par with them.

Verizon's coverage far surpasses both AT&T and T-Mobile, but I don't use CDMA devices so they are out of the question. Their 3G speeds are pretty bad too, but they sure blow T-Mobile out of the water here...

T-Mobile has the worst coverage of all the National Carriers (living in an area where their coverage is great doesn't make their coverage great, it's just great for you). Even Sprint is better. T-Mobile depends on Roaming for most of their call coverage outside of major cities, their tower density is terrible so when lots of people get on their smartphones your data speeds drop into the ground, and outside of major cities their data coverage is attrocious.

Sorry, I travel, and when I made a 1350 mile trip and found out I mind as well should have left BOTH my smartphoneS home, it became clearly apparent that I need to drop this shoddy carrier. You get what you pay for.

And the city I traveled to is not a rural town. It's a fairly decent sized town. T-Mobile coverage is MIA. I could barely hold 1 bar GPRS, and who wants to stand outside in 20 degree weather with 10-15 mph winds just to have a cell phone conversation? Being tethered to WiFi calling is no better than using a Cordless Home Phone.

It's not depended upon location. Some of us don't stay in one place. That's why we pick NATIONAL carriers. So we can have Coverage across the Nation not just in one town or County/Parish. It just so happens T-Mobile looks like a Second Tier carrier compared to AT&T.

And like I said, I don't use CDMA phones (too much of a PITA to switch devices, not SV&D, crap 3G speeds I prefer HSPA+ 14.4-21 to HSPA 42/LTE at this point for battery life) so Verizon and Sprint are out of the question.

AT&T = Moving Forward
T-Mobile = Not.

Even if AT&T speeds were equivalent, I'd still switch for the coverage. It's not cool watching people ride the train a hundred miles with 3G on their AT&T phones while I'm sitting there twiddling my thumbs hoping to catch a bit of EDGE eventually...

sprocket01

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree with what you just said that was my point I wasn't arguing Tmobile was a better carrier nationwide I was stating that for me in the area I live and travel it works best for what I need which is why I switched to them if AT&T had better service in the regions that I travel clearly I would've picked them. That is why I stated where I used to reside it was a terrible carrier I am failing to see where any single carrier is perfect no matter what corner of the country or world you travel in. To sit here and argue the same point over and over is a waste of time. I'm glad you have a carrier that works for you and its what you need but that doesn't mean its the best carrier for my needs does it? Not last I checked I know we should have one carrier controlled by one person to give us the best service ever imagined then they can charge us $1,000.00 a month and we'll all be happy right!? Sorry if you don't agree with my view on carriers but no one said we had to agree thats the beauty of the internet and forums like this we can all agree to disagree sometimes.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I'e only actually recieved 1 MIR out of the 6 or so that I've done, so that's not comforting.

Neither is the fact that it comes on some ghetto debit card instead of a check you can just deposit to your account. Or better yet why not just give me the $50 off point blank if you 're gonna waste more than $50 mailing me this ghetto debit card that I'll inevitably leave $5-10 on because of ATM fees and the fact that almost every ATM here only lets you pull out in increments of $20.

And God forbid you get more than one phone. Now you get two debit cards. Yay!

Why are carriers the only ones that don't get it. Even Radio Shack gets it, and they suck.

In any case, even for free on contract I wouldn't get a mid-range phone. Better to just pay for something a bit more future proof. It's almost always worth the investment, IMO.

That's the reason they have MIR. I remember reading an article in the newspaper years ago that the reason for MIRs is that they know most people won't bother filling out the form, they will forget to mail it in, they'll forget to include something important, fail to follow directions, or it'll get lost in the mail.

MrSkrimps

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to go to T-mobile and I'm so desperate to switch carriers that I'm close to settling for the Lumia 710. (Their constant ads aren't helping the need either) I decided to take a look inside the store and here's a couple of things I notice.

1- The phone is freaking ugly: Dear lord what an unfortunate looking device, even worst with the Radar next to it ( Which quite frankly to my surprise, I found it to look delicious). To add insult to insult to injury it's only on White/Black and Black/Black, none of the pretty colors that will make people interested.

2- The phones are not on: just a static picture on there. Hey do you know what's the coolest thing about this OS? well the static, emotionless, plain, none flipping tiles of course. Never saw Windows Phone look so dead before. You can't check the smooth scrolling, the great browser experience, livelihood of the tiles, the fantastic build in Nokia apps. Nothing just a bunch of ugly looking squares that will never catch your attention.

3-The price is not right: After playing with the phone for a couple of minutes (mostly press buttons and whatnot because the screen was dead) I decided to take a look at the price. 99.99$ on contract! excuse me but what? Is that how Nokia is planing to make a splash in the states? The Samsung Focus Flash ( a superior device in every way) it's only 99cents, you can buy 100 Focus Flashes for the price of one Lumia. I thought to myself that this was a mistake and it was probably the price of the Radar since it was next to it but nope, the Radar was 150$ dollars.

That was a really disappointing trip and I'm thinking of sacrificing my wallet to AT&T =(.
I recently moved to T-Mobile and purchased the Nokia Lumia 710. I suppose we have different ideas of what makes a device attractive and elegant. When I first scouted the Lumia online, I was skeptical about it's appearance for the simple reason I felt neither attracted or repulsed. After using it for two weeks, and coming from an Android on VZW's network, I have to say the Lumia is a pretty rock solid device and in person and in use, is quite elegant and even "polite" (no matter which sound I use for anything, it's not intrusive and obnoxious on the ears). There are some shortcomings with the phone, but not deal breakers (I don't like that you can't configure customer alerts for texts, notifications, etc - you have to use the stock alerts). As far as your being upset about the price, have you looked online??? I order mine online when I ported my number and started my T-Mobile account, and between the phone, activation, taxes and Shipping, i only paid 115.00. the phone was like 45.99. It performs just as fast as an iphone (in my opinion slightly out performs), and I can manage to go almost 2 days between charges with regular use. The phone really is win win.

(PS I looked at the Samsung you mentioned...personally I thought that phone to be hideous);)

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The Focus Flash looks a lot better in person, is pretty tiny and light yet it feels tough. I'm thinking of getting T-mobile for the sake of not paying 100 on every bill, I simply cannot afford AT&T right now :(

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The Focus Flash looks a lot better in person, is pretty tiny and light yet it feels tough. I'm thinking of getting T-mobile for the sake of not paying 100 on every bill, I simply cannot afford AT&T right now :(

I agree, the Flash is the most attractive WP7 device on the market right now and the screen size and type is perfect for that screen resolution.

Last edited:

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I agree with what you just said that was my point I wasn't arguing Tmobile was a better carrier nationwide I was stating that for me in the area I live and travel it works best for what I need which is why I switched to them if AT&T had better service in the regions that I travel clearly I would've picked them. That is why I stated where I used to reside it was a terrible carrier I am failing to see where any single carrier is perfect no matter what corner of the country or world you travel in. To sit here and argue the same point over and over is a waste of time. I'm glad you have a carrier that works for you and its what you need but that doesn't mean its the best carrier for my needs does it? Not last I checked I know we should have one carrier controlled by one person to give us the best service ever imagined then they can charge us $1,000.00 a month and we'll all be happy right!? Sorry if you don't agree with my view on carriers but no one said we had to agree thats the beauty of the internet and forums like this we can all agree to disagree sometimes.

You're exaggerating to try to make a point, and that never works. $1,000 a month, seriously? I was paying for 2 lines on T-Mobile - I only just ETF'd one of my lines after 14 or so Months of paying for 2.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a net savings (since I'll be going from 2 lines on T-Mobile to 1 on AT&T), especially since I get both a corporate Discount and Corporate Allowance to pay a portion of my cell phone bill starting soon. My AT&T bill will probably be around $50 a month for 450 Minutes, Unlimited Mobile to ANY Mobile (T-Mobile is only Unlimited to T-Mobile and no one I know has them), Unlimited SMS/MMS and 3GB Data. Since I'm changing Platforms I won't need WiFi tethering for my iTouch anymore...

When I say travel I mean real travel, not 1 hour up the highway travel, a situation where a carrier choice can easily be arrived at by simply looking at a coverage map. I travel to different parts of the country that are several hundreds to over a thousand miles away. For that, you need a more reliable carrier, especially when you're on trains for hours in some instances. Once that train leaves the major city, you want at last a couple bars of 3G with a decent download speed, not some basically unusable low GPRS signal that can barely hold a call.

T-Mobile is the budget carrier. A lot of people that take their (cheap) service simply don't move around that way. For someone like me, I need a more reliable carrier. T-Mobile isn't reliable, and their network in many places is overloaded to the max. Their infrastructure is in desperate need of attention. No one cares abotu 4G when you can't even download at max edge speeds on the network.

And I love how they have T-Mobile stores in cities where they have almost 0 reception. It's just too cute.

sprocket01

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes clearly an exaggeration I wasn't really making a point I was being sarcastic. Like I have stated 2 other times its a matter of what works for you and what works for me. I'm aware of what "traveling" means but thanks for the lesson though! Also as stated before I'm glad you have a carrier that works well for you but that doesn't mean its the carrier for me. I'm not saying T-Mobile is a superior carrier the service works well for me where I live and the places I travel too. Here AT&T gets some of the worst service doesn't mean they are a crappy carrier just means they don't have good service in this area. I'm not sticking up for any one carrier just explaining my experiences with service and carriers seems kinda silly to keep beating a dead horse as I said earlier its a wonderful thing to agree to disagree. I'm sure I will travel places that my phone will get crappy service just like someone with Verizon and AT&T will travel places with bad services its the nature of the beast that's why its important to find a carrier that works the best for you meaning where you live and travel frequently. Seems pretty simple! I am finding it Pointless to hash over the same points! I don't get why things have to be so black and white with some people like "this carrier sucks this phone sucks"!! It's a matter of personal preference. I don't really care what carrier somebody uses or what phone they use if they are happy with the service and phone more power too them! There are much more important things in life to spend time worrying and complaining about. Maybe its just me though.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
This is a mobile site about cell phones and wp7. What should I talk about, queen Elizabeth's shoes?

Ugh. Never mind.

sprocket01

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
You're exaggerating to make a point that never works remember. Yes stop talking about cell phones and wp7 that is exactly what I meant! How about just realize people are going to like the phone and carrier that works best for them they don't have to like your phone and carrier and it doesn't make them any less of a person for it! I just fail to see the point in trying to pound into someones head that the carrier you use is the best and there is no other better available. Over all for what I use and for the services in the areas I frequent my carrier works for me that's why i picked it same reason you picked the carrier you have that's how most rational choices are made. To make a choice based on what Fred from down at the coffee shop told me is a poor way to go about it. So I guess I should say Ugh Nevermind too because I can only agree with my own side of the conversation. Can you really say that someone should go with a company that doesn't have great service in the areas they frequent just because overall its a "better" company? how does that make any sense?

Ugh Nevermind

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Just ignore N8ter M8ter F8ter B8ter H8ter. XDA banned him for a reason. Its been proven that T-mobile is faster than all other carriers except Verizon LTe in many places across the nation and I myself never go below 4mbps and average around 15mbps on my radar. I get about half those speeds when tethering. T-mobile's network also covers 96% of Americans which is 1% less than the others. Also the welfare carrier remark sounds kinda racist.

Justin.TV312

Banned
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Because people who make those comments think that mostly African Americans and Latinos are on welfare which also coincidentally is most of T-mobile's customer base. I've got a mental picture of who N8ter is and it isn't pretty jaja.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre