You know....using my "old" laptop I realized something...

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
So im on here using my old laptop (1gb of ram, 2.00ghz, low res, 120gb, very low video ram) and I noticed somehting, it works well.....sure I could have a much better proc, more ram, better video card etc, but I then asked do I really need those things? Sure Im gonna get a new laptop within the next year as I do need an upgrade but mostly for better performance (cant even watch hd vids or it slows down lol) and more memory and a better screen but for the most part it does everything I need it to do and is even running Windows 7.

So I asked myself why are people so obsessed with phones and specs? I myself have fallen victom to this, I have had tons of Android phones, all the iphones (4S currently) and I noticed all I do is browse the web, play some simple games, and listen to music and make calls/texts. So what do I need all these crazy specs for? To be honest....nothing. I dont need a dualcore or amazing screen to do all those things, most phones of today are sufficient. Im not gonna lie when everyone else has a dual core phone and the latest and greatest its kinda hard to not want to upgrade and get the latest and greatest but its all in the mind. I have have switched SO many phones and for what? to do the same thing on all of them? Im waiting for the perfect WP7 for my needs and when it comes I hope I can keep it for a while without having an impulse to switch and if I do I hope I can just tell myself NO!

Look at Android: Its like you get a phone and in 6 months its already outdated....wtf!

Anyone else think like this?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The thing is that for example if I have a computer from let's say, 2006. It can still run Windows 7 very fine and have all the same features.

Now with Android, if you don't have the best and greatest, there's no guarantee you will get the latest update. Also Phone technology is increasing really fast and PC's just kind of hit wall, it's happening with Smartphones now as middlerange and high end line gets more blurry by the month.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Vendors decided to compete on specs instead of services. When you eventually upgrade laptops you're going to pay full price (I assume). You won't get any subsidizes from Best Buy or whomever you buy it from. Not so with phones. For $199 you can choose between some of the best phones on the market. There's no reason to get an inferior phone because they're all essentially the same price and running the same OS. The spec race is really the only guaranteed way to tell which Android phone is better than the other. Vendors have their own Android skin and a handful of apps. Some of those apps might even be useful to a select few people but in the end Vendors are still competing on specs and not on services.

One of the reasons I'm so interested in Nokia's Windows Phones is because of the services they offer. I have a Samsung Focus and Samsung doesn't offer anything worthwhile in their app store. I have a Titan and I do use some of their services (panorama all day long) but Nokia is taking it to a whole new level. When it comes to competitive services they are far ahead of the other vendors.

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Vendors decided to compete on specs instead of services. When you eventually upgrade laptops you're going to pay full price (I assume). You won't get any subsidizes from Best Buy or whomever you buy it from. Not so with phones. For $199 you can choose between some of the best phones on the market. There's no reason to get an inferior phone because they're all essentially the same price and running the same OS. The spec race is really the only guaranteed way to tell which Android phone is better than the other. Vendors have their own Android skin and a handful of apps. Some of those apps might even be useful to a select few people but in the end Vendors are still competing on specs and not on services.

One of the reasons I'm so interested in Nokia's Windows Phones is because of the services they offer. I have a Samsung Focus and Samsung doesn't offer anything worthwhile in their app store. I have a Titan and I do use some of their services (panorama all day long) but Nokia is taking it to a whole new level. When it comes to competitive services they are far ahead of the other vendors.

Very good point.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
So I asked myself why are people so obsessed with phones and specs? I myself have fallen victom to this, I have had tons of Android phones, all the iphones (4S currently) and I noticed all I do is browse the web, play some simple games, and listen to music and make calls/texts. So what do I need all these crazy specs for? To be honest....nothing.

I don't really care what the specs are, just that I can do what I want. I have pretty much the same usage habits as you, since web browsing is high on the list a decent screen is a necessity, and as much processing power as it takes to run that, if that can be done with a single core then so much the better.
The 4" AMOLED on the Omnia7 is great but after trying a Galaxy Nexus I can see how much better a larger and much higher resolution screen is for web browsing...even if it is running Android, imagine how good it would be if it were running WP7! ;)

Zumanity

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
So im on here using my old laptop (1gb of ram, 2.00ghz, low res, 120gb, very low video ram) and I noticed somehting, it works well.....sure I could have a much better proc, more ram, better video card etc, but I then asked do I really need those things? Sure Im gonna get a new laptop within the next year as I do need an upgrade but mostly for better performance (cant even watch hd vids or it slows down lol) and more memory and a better screen but for the most part it does everything I need it to do and is even running Windows 7.

So I asked myself why are people so obsessed with phones and specs? I myself have fallen victom to this, I have had tons of Android phones, all the iphones (4S currently) and I noticed all I do is browse the web, play some simple games, and listen to music and make calls/texts. So what do I need all these crazy specs for? To be honest....nothing. I dont need a dualcore or amazing screen to do all those things, most phones of today are sufficient. Im not gonna lie when everyone else has a dual core phone and the latest and greatest its kinda hard to not want to upgrade and get the latest and greatest but its all in the mind. I have have switched SO many phones and for what? to do the same thing on all of them? Im waiting for the perfect WP7 for my needs and when it comes I hope I can keep it for a while without having an impulse to switch and if I do I hope I can just tell myself NO!

Look at Android: Its like you get a phone and in 6 months its already outdated....wtf!

People are obsessed with higher specs, better digits and super cores because the market introduced it that way.

The U.S is probably the country that is most obsessed with this. Once upon a time a company introduced Dual-Core phones and said "Your phone can do this this this this, and MORE" key word MORE. We are a MORE MORE society. I no longer think that is opinion, it's just fact. We want more of everything.

WP7 works so well on a single core, because it can do everything you want it to do. Yes you might be a simple smartphone user, but the companies want you to do MORE. This notion of Dual-Core, amazing specs etc is just another language for money. It makes companies more money. Do any research, they price these so called dual-core phones higher than what you would probably think is a fair price. As a matter of fact, we don't even think about fair prices, because the market has set the standard for so long. Take the iPhone 4S for example. No matter whats the specs are, think to your self "is this phone worth the advertised price for everything I would do on it?" Obviously it would be different for everyone almost. Markets don't work that way. They either price it lower, or high. Middle most often does not yield good profits. Going back to the concept of MORE, even if you don't need it, your phone can do MORE. This notion has stuck in the American Consumers mind, and now its common place to have phones that rival computers in some cases. This can both be a good and bad thing. i.e wasting money on things you don't need is probably bad, but what if you decide to do something on your phone that might require this, then it would be a good thing. MORE is a combination of greed, and advancement. Even though single core works well for WP7, the market is in a MORE mode. It's almost impossible to take on this MORE feeling, and WP7 will catch up and offer MORE, and probably better than it has now.

The one interesting thing with Android is Google actually has made the software for some phones so complex and usage heavy, that manufacturers are REQUIRED to put "amazing specs" on it just so the phone can work as fast as advertised. Google also demands little profit from it's Android platform, that's why the phones are so competitively priced. If Google collected as much money as Apple or Microsoft did, their high end phones would be just as expensive as the iPhone. (Phones like Nexus, Galaxy series, Sensation, etc. etc)

I'd say get used to it. Profit is a good thing, but again don't buy into the general facade of "amazing is amazing" usually amazing defined in the real world sense is just "potentially amazing, and also excess"

Just my 2 cents based on market study. Also I am in no way an expert, please forgive me for mistakes!

Last edited:

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Couldn't agree with you more.

I have several portable devices for my work. I have a decent Dell E6410. I have an iPad2. I also have a OLD Dell D420. Guess which one I pull out the most when I need to do some typing. Yep, the D420. It's small, portable and lightweight. Has a full KB and with Win7 on it, does everything I need it to do. I can surf the web. I can email. I can watch YouTube and stream media. It's a perfect little device and yet by today's standards, a dinosaur. But does it suit my needs? Yep! Perfectly! Specs aren't the end-all, be-all determiner of what is "useful".
(Now if there was just a way to backlight the keys of the 420... ;) )

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Apples and Oranges. One is new technology, the other is old and reliable.

I disagree.

If I still had my "now considered ancient" Nexus One I would still be able to do everything I do with my 4S now.

And wanna go back even farther? My old Nokia 5800, sure its huge and has a small screen, but it does everything I can do on my 4S, I can listen to music, watch vids, browse the web, emails, texts, camera etc.

And lets go back even FARTHER! My very first phone the Sony Ericsson 580i, thats where the line ends, I can play music, I can browse the web but it would be terrible, I can take pics but they are very low quality, I can read my emails but too small screen, I can make calls/texts.

So yea of my phones that I had years ago 98% of them can still do everything my "New" 4S can do, my SE Satio, my Nexus One, my 5800,my n97 mini, even my n79 can do everything I do today, so those phones while old (just like my laptop) can still do everything I do on my new and advanced phone of today, so my point still stands.

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

Simple answer.. Money.. Consumerism..

Company needs to make money.. Need to sell new products..... No money if we stay on for years with our gadgets.

Let's take it to the extreme. Way back to Lotus 123, Wordperfect, and dBaseIII. They actually can get the jobs done really well, don't you think? Why is like 90% of the features in new Microsoft Word actually never get used?

Thats exactly the strategy for some company like Apple.. They introduce some limited, not ALL, features only on new product version, and keep some features for the next product version so people keep buying new version. (That's why no camera on Ipad1, so people will buy Ipad2 later when they put Camera.... smart eh?)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium