A study that needs to happen

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see a study happen that would basically see what kind of consumers are buying which phones. For example, some questions could be like this:

What smartphone did you purchase?

Did you do your own personal research prior to purchasing this device?

Do you have any biases for or against a particular smartphone operating system?

i guarantee that if a survey with questions like this was distriuted to all recent smartphone buyers, the results would be interesting. I would guess that those who buy the iPhone did no personal research whatsoever before purchasing. I would also guess that Windows Phone buyers would say they did do research and do not have a bias. If a study like this would publish, it would say a lot about what kind of people buy what kind of phones.

Someone get on this!

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I bet there's plenty of people on this. Take for example people in college or university around the world. They have to do surveys and research. There are numerous websites that allow you to create a survey. You could even do it yourself J4rrod. Once you're done making the questions, you can send a link to all your contacts, post it here or on Facebook.

As for your hypothesis. I think it could be very accurate to what results might say. As there are little to no hardware differences for iPhones, people will mostly go for the brand. As for Android, there are many different models with different hardware, so that takes some research. On the other hand, Androids are cheaper when compared to iPhones and the brand Android is quite known. All that is opposed to Windows Phone, which isn't well known. Add to that the brand Windows isn't as popular as it used to be.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I would guess that those who buy the iPhone did no personal research whatsoever before purchasing. I would also guess that Windows Phone buyers would say they did do research and do not have a bias.

From personal experience, I'd completely disagree. Everyone I know who's bought an iPhone (at least 10-15 people) has looked into it carefully because it's usually a big purchase. You can get an android phone dirt cheap and I know a lot of smartphone newbies have gone for them just because of price without any further investigation, but an iPhone is an investment and people want to make sure it's right for them.

I've also been to a few Windows Phone focus groups organised by Microsoft to get real-world user feedback. In one, out of 10 people I was the only one who didn't have an anti-Apple bias, ranging from "I just don't like their stuff" to flat-out pathological hatred. One guy had banned Apple from his home - his kids weren't allowed iPods, weren't allowed to use iTunes - and he'd banned employees at his company using iPhones/iPads. Everyone else apart from me (a former iPhone user) said they'd never seriously considered another format and bought a WP7 phone the moment they came out without a second thought to research or reviews. They all also in reality knew next to nothing about Apple and just had some nebulous idea that the iPhone was "way too locked down" (ironic, given WP is more locked down) and that only hipsters trying to be trendy ever bought Apple stuff. One guy jokingly told me I had a "babies computer" that I couldn't do proper work on because I had an iMac. Why? Because it didn't need maintenance to keep it working. I pointed out that the lack of maintenance required actually meant I got more work done, but I don't think it sank in!

Consequently, I think the results of such a survey would surprise you. There are a lot of WP buyers who are absolute Windows nuts and bleed Microsoft, and no other format was ever going to get a look in - and as WP has a smaller market share I suspect they make up a fairly big chunk of the user base proportionally speaking.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
One good stereotype deserves another... ;)

I'm a Windows guy, but it's pretty obvious that the iPhone requires much less research. Also, my reading is that the app economy/world is now the tail that is wagging the dogs.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
From personal experience, I'd completely disagree. Everyone I know who's bought an iPhone (at least 10-15 people) has looked into it carefully because it's usually a big purchase.
Once they get over the purchase price (really on the 4S because you can get the 4 for $99 and the 3GS for $50) I'd argue most people feel it's a safe bet to go with the iPhone, so I'm with the OP on that one.

I've also been to a few Windows Phone focus groups organised by Microsoft to get real-world user feedback. In one, out of 10 people I was the only one who didn't have an anti-Apple bias, ranging from "I just don't like their stuff" to flat-out pathological hatred. One guy had banned Apple from his home - his kids weren't allowed iPods, weren't allowed to use iTunes - and he'd banned employees at his company using iPhones/iPads. Everyone else apart from me (a former iPhone user) said they'd never seriously considered another format and bought a WP7 phone the moment they came out without a second thought to research or reviews. They all also in reality knew next to nothing about Apple and just had some nebulous idea that the iPhone was "way too locked down" (ironic, given WP is more locked down) and that only hipsters trying to be trendy ever bought Apple stuff. One guy jokingly told me I had a "babies computer" that I couldn't do proper work on because I had an iMac. Why? Because it didn't need maintenance to keep it working. I pointed out that the lack of maintenance required actually meant I got more work done, but I don't think it sank in!
The Apple hater mentality is pretty childish. I do think that Apple brought that to themselves in part because their marketing was silly with those "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" ads (Microsoft is not without fault for not properly defending their brand). Anyway, my daughter has an iPod Touch, we have an iPad and towards the end of the year my wife might get an iPhone as her first smartphone (although she likes my Focus so she might go with a WP). I'm starting to get into photography as a hobby so that means I might get an iMac or a Mac laptop since those are great for photo hobbyists.

In the end, I like being a geek and try to avoid blind loyalty. I like what Microsoft is doing with the Metro UI and I like how Nokia is helping WP get up in numbers. Competition is great, isn't it?

BTW, I do steer people away from Android because I'm not impressed with Android. I do have my biases. Still, I try to be as objective as possible when people ask for my opinion or feedback.

Consequently, I think the results of such a survey would surprise you. There are a lot of WP buyers who are absolute Windows nuts and bleed Microsoft, and no other format was ever going to get a look in - and as WP has a smaller market share I suspect they make up a fairly big chunk of the user base proportionally speaking.
I think this is true now, but Nokia is changing that. The WP market share is slowly growing in Europe and most of them aren't Windows fanboys buying Lumias; the Lumia is simply a cool phone. Even here in the USA, T-Mobile is on a marketing campaign titled "My first smartphone", working on getting a WP on the hands of first time smartphone buyers. Also, prepare for the Lumia 900 to really (no pun intended) get things going in the USA.

One good stereotype deserves another... ;)

I'm a Windows guy, but it's pretty obvious that the iPhone requires much less research. Also, my reading is that the app economy/world is now the tail that is wagging the dogs.
Hahaha! Agreed.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Pronk, you're not understanding my point. Look at it this way, let's say you have a person who is looking to buy their first novel. There's a good chance they're going to buy a Stephen King novel, simply because it's Stephen King. It doesn't matter if the novel right next to the King novel is a better novel by a better author. It required no research by that person at all, because that's who they've "heard of" the most.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. The majority of people buying an iPhone today are doing so because; 1. their last iPhone worked really well, or 2. their partner, kids, parents, co-workers, etc. own one. Unless they are looking for something an iPhone can't do, not much to research.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I know a lot of people that buy the latest iPhone without much research because that's what they have and they like it.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Or because they're hipsters who think they look leagues above everyone else because they have an Apple on their device.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
This has actually been researched quite a bit and while a lot of the material is not ease to access broadly the following is what happens:

* Consumers choice network and tariff first, phone second

* They are more considered with the upfront payment rather than the overall TCO

* within that, marketing and mind-share is a big influence

* Within that, the advice of the rep in the store is a big influence

* Within that, thought leaders in their reference group (basically their peers) will also play a big part.

The actual nature of the OS or the phone itself is largely neither here nor there because the majority of consumers don't really know enough to influence their selection here nor there. They don't care in the slightest about things like "which is the best multi-taskers", "does this have an SD slot" or any of that sort of thing.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Or because they're hipsters who think they look leagues above everyone else because they have an Apple on their device.

Way too simplistic, there is simply too high a userbase to write them all off as hipsters and sheep or as a member of a cult.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
How does anyone having an iPhone delude himself that he is above everyone else when so many millions of people have iPhones?

Way too simplistic, there is simply too high a userbase to write them all off as hipsters and sheep or as a member of a cult.
Exactly!

This has actually been researched quite a bit and while a lot of the material is not ease to access broadly the following is what happens:

* Consumers choice network and tariff first, phone second

* They are more considered with the upfront payment rather than the overall TCO

* within that, marketing and mind-share is a big influence

* Within that, the advice of the rep in the store is a big influence

* Within that, thought leaders in their reference group (basically their peers) will also play a big part.

The actual nature of the OS or the phone itself is largely neither here nor there because the majority of consumers don't really know enough to influence their selection here nor there. They don't care in the slightest about things like "which is the best multi-taskers", "does this have an SD slot" or any of that sort of thing.
This makes perfect sense to me.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
There are a lot of "dumbphone" users out there that think smartphone == iPhone. Believe me, I've had several relatives refer to my phone as an iPhone because that's the term they associate it with in their heads, even though they know that it's not an actual iPhone. Maybe it's because of advertising or people they know that have iPhones. I'm not really sure. But the term "iPhone" is ingrained in their brains.

When the time comes to upgrade to a smartphone, guess what these people are going to buy?

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I know a lot of people that buy the latest iPhone without much research because that's what they have and they like it.

Are we talking first smartphone purchase, or *any* smartphone purchase?

I'd say they're different situations. What you outline above is brand loyalty - if they're happy with a product (any product - doesn't have to be an iPhone) and the new model doesn't have any specific issues that mean they're inclined to look around, why would they want to research and switch? Sure, they might have a look around and do a bit of research, but a happy customer is one who'll come back - and Apple have loyalty rates other companies would kill for.

That doesn't make the person dumb for not doing research.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I think that people that buy iphones are buying a brand. For whatever the reason, they know, like and trust Apple and their products. Lets not forget the response to the first iphone, people ran in droves to get one without much knowledge about it. They trusted the brand.

I wanted an iphone the moment Apple announced them but soon discovered that in the end they weren't really a good phone (which is the main reason I carry one, to talk on it) so I decided to wait for Apple and AT&T to iron out their issues first then I'm come over to their side. Well four years later I've still yet to have one. With each version I found something lacking and decided to wait for the next one. After a while I realized that Apple's philosophy was to always leave their customers wanting for features that were available on other phones. For me the last straw came with the rumors of iphone 5. Finally an iphone that I could wrap myself around. Instead we got the 4S and with that I decided to go Mango and the Focus S.

The iphone 4S and the Focus were the same price (16 gig version) and had simular features (with the iphone having a large edge in the apps field) but I had grown tired of waiting for Apple (maybe I turned into a hater slightly) and what seemed to be the continuing promise. I'm happy with my focus and don't regret my decision. This phone does what I need it to do and I love it.

During the holidays my 25 year old niece saw that I had a new smartphone and her immediate response was "dude you should have got an iphone". She never even asked to look at my phone, to her the only choice out there is an iphone. She is in love with the Apple brand having an ipod, ipad and a macbook pro. When T-Mobile offers the iphone she will be the first in line with her credit card no matter how much it costs.

Please excuse my long windedness. To me it's pretty easy to figure out: Everyone believes they are buying the best phone at the time, nobody chooses to buy a crappy phone.......it's just that what is best is very subjective.

PS...don't tell anyone but I like being different, everybody has either an iphone or android. :D

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Where I live, most people have iPhones (including me) and as people have said, it seems to be the default choice when getting a phone for much of the population. For a while it was the best phone for my needs, and I'm sure if Apple had thrown a bigger screen into it I would have seriously considered sticking with the platform. i did a lot of research before ordering my Titan and I have to say I'm loving Windows Phone.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
@Old_Cus: I like going against the grain and be different as well, which in part steered me to Windows Phone.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I never got an iPhone because I don't like the small screen and and really don't like iTunes. I also don't like not having a Back button. That's a real pain in the *** when I use my wife's or my daughter's iPhone.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I never got an iPhone because I don't like the small screen and and really don't like iTunes. I also don't like not having a Back button. That's a real pain in the *** when I use my wife's or my daughter's iPhone.

But apps are designed with a back button for those that need it. What is it about the back button that these don't fulfill?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077