February is Fitness Month! Week One and Two

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Mobile Nations Fitness month: Week 1

People of WPCentral, the Mobile Nations Fitness month has begun!

You can go read all about it on the front page, but here's where the action is taking place. This is where we're setting reasonable, attainable goals. This is where we're starting our pattern for pure win.

Not sure how to start? Pick just ONE thing from this list and make it you goal for the week. It should be challenging enough that it takes some effort to do it, but not so challenging that you give up before you really get going. Here are some examples.

Nutrition

• Stop drinking sugary drinks for a week (or beer of that's more your thing).
  • If that's too easy, stop eating fast food/junk food for a week.

A week is 6 days, you get a cheat day at the end!

Strength training

• Do 2 sets of 10 pushups, 10 sit ups, and 10 squats every morning right when you get up.
  • If that's too easy, do 4 sets.

You can start with 1 set and work up to 2, or 3 sets and work up to 4. The important thing is to get going!

Cardio training

• Do 15 min. of cardio, 3 times during the week. It can be running, dancing, martial arts, rope skipping, jumping jacks, anything.
  • If that's too easy, do 20-30 min. at a slightly higher intensity.

You can run for as long as you can and then walk, for example, if you need to, but you want to try to run -- or do whatever cardio activity you're doing -- for longer each time until you get to the full time.

Week 2

Ready for week 2? Now you have a choice, you can take what you were doing for week 1 and increment it a notch, or you can add a second goal to your first. Again, whichever way you go, it should be challenging enough that it takes some effort to do it, but not so challenging that you give up before you really get going. Here are some examples.

Nutrition

Stop eating junk food/fast food for the week
If that's too easy, start focusing on reasonable (smaller!) portion sizes.

A week is 6 days, you get a cheat day at the end! If you have trouble with portion size, buy some small disposable plates to use for the week, and don't cook more than one portion at a time (stops you going back for thirds )

Strength training

Do 2 sets of 20 pushups, 20 sit ups, and 20 squats every morning right when you get up.
If that's too easy, do 4 sets.

You can start with 1 set and work up to 2, or 3 sets and work up to 4. The important thing is to get going! Depending on your fitness level, you can also add other body weight exercises, like chin ups, lunges, crunches, etc. to mix things up and keep them fresh.

Cardio training

Do 20 min. of cardio, 3 times during the week. It can be running, dancing, martial arts, rope skipping, jumping jacks, anything.
If that's too easy, do 30 min. at a slightly higher intensity.

You can run for as long as you can and then walk, for example, if you need to, but you want to try to run -- or do whatever cardio activity you're doing -- for longer each time until you get to the full time.

If you're ready to go up another notch, try cardio that involves more of your whole body. Hold your arms up high for few minutes, a few times, a while while you run, or bring your knees up high for a few intervals.

What's your goal for week 2 going to be? Pick it and stick it in a reply below, then come back every day and let us know how you're progressing! If you're doing well, share your story and help keep us inspired. If you're having trouble, ask questions and we'll be there to help.

Last edited:

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'll do the pushups, situps, and squats every morning. Those are the worst for me. Running and giving up bad food is too easy for me.

cdbstl76

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
15 min of cardio 3 times this week

I will do 15 min of cardio 3 times this week. Which will be a big step up from none.

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I already run 2-3 times a week, so i'll continue doing that and will add strength training to my routine.
thanks for the motivation.

awesumjon

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Nutrition, I already do those things.
Strength, It's been a small while, but I can still knock them out.
Cardio, well, i gotta start training for the Zombie apocalypse somehow.
Thank goodness for student accessible gyms huh? Give me a way to lose those freshman 15 :lol:

So, then I guess the start of the week starts tomorrow?

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to try to cut down on sugary drinks. That's definitely one of my worst habits. Though I'm also going to try to exercise more as well. We'll see.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I've been doing 30mins cardio and 30mins strength training 3x a week. I want to step up my cardio to 5x a week. Cardio: Elliptical machine.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I am normally in excellent health and workout all the time.

But my goal for this week is to get over the darn Flu!!!!! Is there anything I can do better for my health right now?

steve70

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Def guilty of the nutrition sin. Kinda started already. Haven't eaten fast food in a week or more. Going to try to cut out the sugar drinks..or cut in half at the least.

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I already play competitive volleyball several times a week and have weekly group bike rides (yes, cycling throughout the winter in Wisconsin, regardless of weather conditions) but I'll add the pushups, crunches and squats each morning. Been meaning to do that anyhow so this is a good incentive.

anon(5329380)

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Going to travel to my school every day from now on. Meaning 45 minutes (max), 10 times a week. I'll use the WP Sports-Tracker app for data-gathering. Going to start right away!

Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express

waynejk

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh... February in Chicago. Normally I wouldn't think of taking my bike out until April, but if this fine weather holds up I'll be all over the cardio thing. And lucky me I've already been out twice this week already. Thanks for the added motivation WPCentral!

ShortStuff

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow I just got a gym membership 2 days ago so these challenges came at a perfect time. Week ones challenge for me will be 15 Mins of cardio at least 3 times this week but I wanna up it to 4 days ^_^

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans