I was at my local at&t store the other day and they had the various Windows Phone demo phones out on the floor, ready and waiting for people to come by and try them out. Naturally, I gravitated over that way to see the new models (I'm a Sprint user, so I guess I must enjoy torturing myself ;)). After playing around with the Focus S and Titan for a while, it dawned on me-- perhaps not as many people as could be are interested in WP7 because when they try out the demo model in the store they find it kind of.... boring.

What I mean to say is that my phone didn't really come alive until I personalized it by adding photos to my Pictures Hub, adding contacts to my People Hub, integrating my Xbox Live account, etc etc so on and so forth. Before I did all that not only were those respective hubs barren and empty, but the live tiles on the start screen were barren and empty, too. Boring!

I knew I wanted a Windows Phone before I bought one, and I had done the research and knew how cool and alive the phone would become once I added in all the necessary accounts and info. But what if I hadn't gone in knowing that? What about all the people that don't know what WP7 is all about, turn on the demo phone, and see a bunch of lifeless, limp, boring, barren, blank squares with big, white icons. I'd walk away, too!

Perhaps what MS needs to do is create a fake profile (and thus, fake accounts) for its demo phones. Just make it so that the Me, Pictures, People and Xbox Live hubs are populated with something (fake contacts in the people hub, fake pictures OF PEOPLE in the pictures hub, etc) , and their respective Live Tiles are moving and showing things and updating and, well, alive. And maybe pay to put a band or two in the Music +Video hub while you're at it.

Just give potential buyers an idea of what the phone will look like once you get it going. Show off the beauty of that Metro style. Show off what a fully-functioning hub would look like. Show them that WP7 offers opportunities for personalization, too. Show off the best of what this brilliant OS is capable of! Lord knows the sales staff won't do it for you.
    02-14-2012 07:45 PM
    Actually the phones should have demo accounts, I swear I've seen phones with demo accounts at AT&T stores. They had fake contacts etc...

Maybe someone can clarify?
    02-14-2012 09:01 PM
    I agree. I think this also when you see some Android fans bashing the tiles as just plain, ugly boring boxes...which I can understand if you only see static screenshots or the boring dead tiles at the store. Certainly, my phone's start screen is ALIVE, I love it, but hard to communicate that. I have my People tile constantly doing it's thing, the Zune tile, the Pictures one is cycling through pictures of my kid, my wife and sister in law are both pinned to the start screen, the Calendar, Carbon is showing my avatar and any updates, and of course the various messaging and email apps are all alive. It is certainly far from dead or boring but I'm sure a screen shot or an non-configured phone wouldn't convey that.
    02-14-2012 09:52 PM
    Absolutely agree. Should definitely have a demo profile and maybe pre-install some tile centric apps, like; Weather Channel, USA Today, etc. Pretty sure you can get a connection in a phone store.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    02-14-2012 11:02 PM
    I haveseen focus s flash nd titan in my ATT store with info on them that I assumed someone played with the phone and input the data while trying it ut. Sure looked like that too me I added some myself.
    02-14-2012 11:07 PM
    stopped into Wal-Mart today for flowers, and saw the wireless display, they had 1 wp7 phone between all the carriers they had, was a black Nokia 710... That the language was set to Chinese possibly (not sure I just know there was no letters, just series of squiggly lines)
    the rep told me, oh that's a windows phone, they are really confusing, I looked at her and noticed she had a blackberry with a trackpad, I asked if she had WiFi on that blackberry, and she said no, but next one I get will... Wow. I was the only one in the store.
    I asked the the manager if they have a date for the at&t Nokia 900 he was even more worthless. He told me she could help me, which she was busy bbm-ing. Its Wal-Mart though, what do you expect

*oops I mean trackball
    Last edited by toyotast165; 02-14-2012 at 11:51 PM.
    02-14-2012 11:37 PM
    Interesting... I was considering applying at the WalMart wireless store because I need a second job. I wonder if they would consider me...?
    02-15-2012 05:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD