I will buy a WP7 phone now but...

num_lock_er

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi I will buy a WP7 phone now but I've heard that it is unsure if it can be upgrade to the upcoming WP8 OS.

Can I upgrade it to WP8 or not? Thanks.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

No one knows 100% for sure yet. :dry

Hopefully at Mobile World Congress next week we'll learn more about this.

Oh and welcome along to WPCentral num_lock_er. :)

SeNiLe911

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I was told by an employee at the Microsoft Store that all phones will receive the Apollo update. Think about it, It makes no sense for the Nokia Lumia 900 that comes out next month to not receive this update that will come out 7 or 8 months later.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well that's what we all expect and hope for, but no one has said anything officially about it as of yet. :)

I'm sure they will though SeNiLe911. :)

Last edited:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
With the lower spec "Tango" handset starting to appear, it's looking likely that all current handsets will update to Apollo. I'm feeling confident they will anyway.... hence the reason I have no concerns jumping on the Nokia 910 when it's released in Europe.

I really wish MS would quash all speculation on this as rumours can be damaging... especially if people are holding back under false pretences.

rturja

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
On the other hand, the only rumour claiming otherwise was started by confirmed liar, android ****** and Nokia/Winphone hater.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
..... Who is this Android ******? Come to me! I defy you! Come and kneel before Big Supes! BIG SUPES!

Sorry... movie moment there... :D

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
This was asked on the podcast a couple episodes ago and I'll just echo what was said there, 1 of us believed there would be an upgrade available, 1 of us firmly believes it will not be possible to upgrade, and 1 couldn't comment.

My advice to you would be, as with any purchase, buy the product now if you like the what you'll be getting immediately, not for what may or may not come in the future. If you're concerned about not having the bleeding edge version of the operating system then wait for the release of the next update and then allow yourself to be locked in for 2 years.

rturja

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
..... Who is this Android ******? Come to me! I defy you! Come and kneel before Big Supes! BIG SUPES!

Sorry... movie moment there... :D

Of course I meant that muppet who originally started the rumour about winphone not being upgradeable, E... whatever his name was :D

num_lock_er

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

No one knows 100% for sure yet. :dry

Hopefully at Mobile World Congress next week we'll learn more about this.

Oh and welcome along to WPCentral num_lock_er. :)
Thanks for welcoming TheWeeBear :D I will wait for MWC next week before I buy a WP7 phone.

I am once a 1st gen iPhone and current Android user. Currently I am looking for a breath of fresh air in UI.

Which one I will buy, HTC HD7, Hd7 Pro or Radar. Considering that they have the same price and only HTC and Nokia is available in my area. Titan and Lumia is out of my budget. I am concerned more with larger screen size and upgradability to Windows Phone 8. Thanks.

Thank you.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
You're very welcome num_lock_er, yes makes perfect sense to wait for MWC to see what new info / handsets become available. :cool:

Then hopefully you can make your mind up and join in all the WP fun. :D

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
1 of us firmly believes it will not be possible to upgrade

Based on what? If Apollo does use the windows 8 kernel why wouldn't it be possible? Windows 8 can run on older hardware better than windows 7 can and I doubt we are going to see some magical large gpu requirement increase to run metro.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand this different kernel argument. You can flash android, WM6.5 and WP7 on an HTC HD2. There is no reason WP8 should be "incompatible" with snapdragon SoC phones.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
any ideas on as to when we might see win8? unofficially or offiicially? i personally really want to see whats going on with zune... if they abandon zune for some lame upgrade of windows media player, and completely change the UI, i wont like it...

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I think all Windows Phones will receive the update, but older phones will simply be limited by their physical hardware. Pretty simple. If it brings a feature that requires a certain piece of hardware your phone doesn't have, you just wont be able to use that part of the OS.

Its no different than with the front facing cameras and other hardware support that Mango brought. Mango brought the ability to use one, but my phone doesn't have a front camera so I not only can't use it, I don't even see the option.

There is no way MS will alienate their current user-base, and even less of a chance they are going to basically "drop support" for the Nokia phones they are banking so heavily on that are just now being released.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
any ideas on as to when we might see win8? unofficially or offiicially? i personally really want to see whats going on with zune... if they abandon zune for some lame upgrade of windows media player, and completely change the UI, i wont like it...

Q3 or Q4 of this year. CP program starts next week. So next week kinda.. actually

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Dtboos is right. The update will be pushed to all. We will get the fixes and UI updates but advanced features will be scaled back on lower end devices mostly due to lack of hardware or power. I'd imagine all second fen devices will run 90% of the features.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte