I will buy a WP7 phone now but...

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Based on what? If Apollo does use the windows 8 kernel why wouldn't it be possible? Windows 8 can run on older hardware better than windows 7 can and I doubt we are going to see some magical large gpu requirement increase to run metro.

It's my opinion, and based on the fact that Apollo is a HUGE upgrade, not a minor one. The fact that developers are being told that our apps "will be compatible" with Windows Phone 8, suggests to me a backwards compatibility situation. There is so much changing in Windows Phone 8 that I don't see the current upgrade system being able to handle it.

Honestly you're more than welcome to disagree with me and hope otherwise, but I strongly suggest you don't expect the upgrade, instead anticipate you contract and being able to upgrade your hardware when the time comes.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
It's my opinion, and based on the fact that Apollo is a HUGE upgrade, not a minor one. The fact that developers are being told that our apps "will be compatible" with Windows Phone 8, suggests to me a backwards compatibility situation. There is so much changing in Windows Phone 8 that I don't see the current upgrade system being able to handle it.

Honestly you're more than welcome to disagree with me and hope otherwise, but I strongly suggest you don't expect the upgrade, instead anticipate you contract and being able to upgrade your hardware when the time comes.

Why do you have to be so negative all the time!! LOL :) j/k

the fact that Old apps are going to work with WP , wouldn't that mean that the chance of getting the update is good? if it wasn't backwards compatible then id be worried..

you talk about it being a UGE upgrade, so what? so was mango!!!!! UGE!! kernel mean nothing , Flash and re-instal, your done.. ok so it might take 1 hour instead of 30min,...

Why do you think the current upgrade system wont be able to handle it?? its not like your trying to fit a F1 engine in a Honda civic.

Hardware will roughly be the same and the update is said to support multiple requirements. ( single , duel core , high and low res ect...)

seems to me like MS is looking to stay AWAY from Fragmentation and at the same time start offering Milty support across all types of GRADES ( low or high end WP ) witch is something we been waiting for and simply couldn't be done with a NEW OS and so little hardware.

all this to me points to us GETTING the update. ( obviously Fingers crossed)

Im starting BETS!!! 100$ on us getting the update! lol ;)

Eirenarch

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I will be really, really surprised if current devices are not upgradeable to WP8.
Here are my reasons:

- The kernel thing means nothing. One kernel can run on variety of hardware and they already support the architecture (ARM) in Win 8
- Tango devices are supposed to have lower specs than current devices so if they drop current devices they need to drop Tango devices as well and they will be just a few months old when Apollo is released. If anything they may choose to not upgrade Tango devices and upgrade current devices.
- There are basically two systems on chip powering current devices. There is no difference between high end and low end devices when it comes to processor and video and this is what the OS cares about when it comes to performance.
- Current apps are mostly managed code (native code apps are either MS or their close partners so they have control over them) so the portability of apps to new kernel is not an issue.
- It will be a P.R. suicide if they do not upgrade the Lumia 800/900 (for example) to Apollo and because the hardware is not much different they can easily upgrade first generation devices as well. After all they made big promise about OS upgrades and if they fail to deliver they may as well close the WP division.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Not loud enough mate, cant hear you in my fortress out here. :)

No Home, Mr Superman No Here - YouTube :D

It's been noted. Thanks. :)

MS really need to speak up on this matter... as it's sort of a biggie...

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

If this is how Microsoft is going to handle Windows Phone, then they may as well point a shotgun at their right ankle and remove that foot. While they are at it, they may as well shove a knife through Nokia's chances in the US.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
The way I see it there are only two possible outcomes

1) Gen 2 phones - perhaps limited to the Nokia 900+ will be a special case and upgraded

or

2) Windows Phone 8 will not arrive till Q1 next year. Current phones not upgradable

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
The way I see it there are only two possible outcomes

1) Gen 2 phones - perhaps limited to the Nokia 900+ will be a special case and upgraded

or

2) Windows Phone 8 will not arrive till Q1 next year. Current phones not upgradable

The way I see it, all current devices will get Apollo, but not every feature in Apollo will be supported by every device. First generation devices will probably have some reduced functionality and Mango phones will probably have full functionality minus stuff that would require specialized hardware (such as NFC).

Keep in mind that first generation devices run Mango like champs. This isn't Android, or to a lesser extent, iOS. My daughter's 3GS runs iOS 5, just not as well as my wife's 4S. Android however, is a lost cause. My two year old Captivate (which I gave to my sister) can barely run Froyo. Throw the notions conceived by your experiences with other OSes out the "Window" when dealing with WP7 (pun intended).

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am sure 2nd Gen devices will get WP8. I am pretty sure 1st Gen devices will get it. When you see how Microsoft is trying to build this brand, the package is pretty important. And the package has always been: It will be seamless in it's performance, it will be secure it it's operation, and it will be supported. Even if they have to get the shoe horn out to cram to in there, they will figure a way to make it happen.
As for which device: Wait until the MWC announcements and jump on a handset than.

num_lock_er

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I think all Windows Phones will receive the update, but older phones will simply be limited by their physical hardware. Pretty simple. If it brings a feature that requires a certain piece of hardware your phone doesn't have, you just wont be able to use that part of the OS.

Its no different than with the front facing cameras and other hardware support that Mango brought. Mango brought the ability to use one, but my phone doesn't have a front camera so I not only can't use it, I don't even see the option.

There is no way MS will alienate their current user-base, and even less of a chance they are going to basically "drop support" for the Nokia phones they are banking so heavily on that are just now being released.
So It is better to buy a HTC Radar than an HD 7 / HD 7 Pro for the same price?

That is also what I'm thinking, if Windows 8 will run on a 1 GHz netbook 512mb shared VRAM, why can't Windows Phone 8 run on a 1 GHZ 512mb phone?

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Its not a question of whether WP8 will run on Gen1 devices, but rather would carriers and manufacturers support it. I think Nokia is a spec ial case. To be honest, its not even confirmed if Wp8 will be released this year, it is still specul ation. I hope all WP7 devices will be upgradable but im not holding my breath.

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for welcoming TheWeeBear :D I will wait for MWC next week before I buy a WP7 phone.

I am once a 1st gen iPhone and current Android user. Currently I am looking for a breath of fresh air in UI.

Which one I will buy, HTC HD7, Hd7 Pro or Radar. Considering that they have the same price and only HTC and Nokia is available in my area. Titan and Lumia is out of my budget. I am concerned more with larger screen size and upgradability to Windows Phone 8. Thanks.

Thank you.

As an HD7 owner, I recommend the Radar. The only advantage the HD7 offers is screen size. The Radar has a faster gpu, ffc, and the best battery life among WP7 devices to date. The HD7 has the worst battery life AFAIK. I can kill it in under 3 hours if I'm gaming, browsing, etc. I wish I'd held out for the Radar.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

Okay, So being a big update negates the possibility of getting the update? Did I switch to Android in my sleep? Windows 7 apps working on Windows Phone 8 doesn't mean anything. What you are suggesting here is that because Microsoft is going to make sure every single app out doesn't break when Apollo hits that 1st gen cant get Apollo. What device doesn't have backwards compatibility? They want their unified ecosystem. Write the app once and done. The same reason why its rumored that WP8 apps will run in Windows 8.

The upgrade system handling it? I'm not sure what you mean. It seems kinda like saying the update system cant handle Xbox dashboard updates. Each winter update has been kinda 'big' from the last.

1) By Q4 2012 there will more more than 15-20 million Windows Phone 7 users. While this is a small percentage of the smartphone market, it is a considerable number of people to p*ss off while at the same time trying to convince 10 million more to buy your new phones.

2) Microsoft will continue to sell single core mid-range and cheaper Windows Phones, meaning there should not be any reason why Windows Phone 8 will not run on Windows Phone 7 hardware. The alternative is two code bases for cheap and expensive handsets, which negates the whole reason for the kernel transplant to start with.

and this is from a former Microsoft distinguished engineer.
It is likely WP8 will run on first generation WP phones, and near certain it will work on the second generation (those that initially ship with) WP7.5 Microsoft wants a reputation of being as end-user friendly as Apple and so will not drop updates on older phones until their is a technological reason to do so. Plus it isn’t likely to want to piss people off who are sill in a 2-year contract period, which will be the case with most of the installed base. So I don’t see WP8 as a reason to wait. Now if you already have a first gen device (e.g., Samsung Focus) you might want to skip the second gen (e.g., Focus S) and see what happens next summer or fall.
Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8: Cousins or Siblings | Hal's (Im)Perfect Vision

Last edited:

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Canesfan I hope you're right, and I can say no more than that. Regardless I stand by my advice that you should not just expect an upgrade to Windows Phone 8, instead don't lock yourself into a contract of more than 12 months if you can avoid it, just to be sure that if the upgrade isn't possible, you won't be waiting too long for WP8

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmmm......both my son and wife will be able to upgrade the middle of July. I think I'm going to choose not to lose any sleep over this and if for some reason I can't update my Focus S to WP8 I'll just use one of their upgrades. :p

TheDoros

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't think gen 1 devices will get wp8 due to hardware limitations. Also if you think about it gen 1 devices will have been supported for 2 years or more. We got NoDo then Mango, and soon Tango.

However, I really do think that gen 2 devices will get it. At least I hope they do, otherwise i think I may have to agree with the shooting off the foot comment.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say 1st/2nd generation devices would transition fully into Apollo, but we might see a 'bridge' update between Mango and Apollo that brings some key Apollo software to Mango. For example, we could see the next-generation Internet Explorer, Office, more native/integrated SkyDrive connectivity, integrated Skype, enhanced integration of FB/Twitter, UI changes and other features we might presume of Apollo reach Mango/Tango. You might not get the full Apollo experience, but hey, at least your current devices will be up to par in many (if not most) aspects of the software. Of course, many other aspects (specifically those that will rely on hardware such as NFC, multi-core, etc) will not reach current devices.

Mahesha999

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi I will buy a WP7 phone now but I've heard that it is unsure if it can be upgrade to the upcoming WP8 OS.

Can I upgrade it to WP8 or not? Thanks.
MS always allow upgrading things on the same hardware requirements, unless the software is not a big change - computationally.

All the Win XP were upgradable to Win 7, provided they had 1 GB of memory. Also I was able to install Win 8 Dev Preview on my old sys.

Looking to the way WP Mango runs on 1GHz, I think Apollo will also be able to run on same 1GHz processors. So I think all WP will be upgradable to Apollo. But... they may charge you extra, since its not an update in the same 7.x series. Its a new OS v8.

Hopefully things will update.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't think gen 1 devices will get wp8 due to hardware limitations. Also if you think about it gen 1 devices will have been supported for 2 years or more. We got NoDo then Mango, and soon Tango.

However, I really do think that gen 2 devices will get it. At least I hope they do, otherwise i think I may have to agree with the shooting off the foot comment.

first and second GEN device have IDENTICAL stats ( aside from he extra .400 processors, and the random camera *witch doesn't effect updates* )

i think BOTH generation will ether: get it or both .. Wont get it. ....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte