I will buy a WP7 phone now but...

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say they are identical. Architecture-wise, sure.

But the MSM8255T is a totally different part than the first gen QSD8250 (45nm vs 65nm process), and has a faster GPU, and I'd wager a guess that they all have faster NAND flash memory.

This doesn't change the argument that WP8 will or will not come to first gen devices because I think it'll run well within their performance envelope. But they are not the same.

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Well i can't see that nokia aren't getting it on Lumia they have worked so hard togheter with MS on it. And used so much money and given up the meego system and all..
Also normally nokia has a reputation for supporting there phones with upgrades in many years..

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm fairly confident all Windows Phone devices will receive the Apollo update for the following reasons:

1. There is no "high" or "low" end when it comes to Windows Phone. All the phones of the Gen are on mostly the same hardware! So if one device gets it (I.e. Lumia), all similar devices will get it.

2. Since there is so little fragmentation, updates are unlikely to take lots of work and Microsoft will only be working with roughly 2 configurations.

3. Microsoft does not want to fragment the Windows Phone ecosystem! Even if mango apps work on Apollo, Microsoft will need as many devices as it can get to attract developers. No way are they starting back at square one.

4. Two years of support is minimal for a PAID OS. This is not Android! Microsoft is responsible for the update, unlike Google, and manufacturers will complain! I'd like to point out at this moment that iOS devices are supported for 3/4 years and receive the entirety of 3 major updates!

5. Microsoft isn't going to do Tango and then raise specs to the point these devices can't update.

For these reasons, I expect all Windows Phones to be updated to Apollo.

EDIT: For those talking about hardware limitations, the one guy is right. Gen 1 isn't that much lower than Gen 2 in the spec sheet. Notice we're on 7.5? Well your hardware got half an upgrade relative to iOS and Android.

Last edited:

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I really don't think we will hear any announcements at MWC 2012 about Windows Phone 8. We will hear something about Tango and lower end phones. I still suspect that Windows Phone 8 will not see the light of day until 2013 Q1

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I know this is a bit of a tangent, but regarding the above comment about this being a paid OS and Android being free:

Note that while Google itself doesn't charge for Android, OEMs are forced to pay the likes of Microsoft and Apple for using their intellectual property, which Google stole and gave to them in the form of the "free" Android OS. Thus, it's only free if the IP patent holders choose to not protect their assets.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
^ Good point, also the fact that Android phone manufacturers have to customise, test and support their "flavour" of Android it all adds up to be a headache and not "free" as they thought.

wildfire555

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is the OS vendor while Nokia is the hardware vendor, so i think the software might not integrated with the hardware so tight. besides, microsoft said wp8 is a huge upgrage but they don't said it's a brand new system.

but wp8 is NT kernel while wp7 is win ce. no one knows. :confused:

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is the OS vendor while Nokia is the hardware vendor, so i think the software might not integrated with the hardware so tight. besides, microsoft said wp8 is a huge upgrage but they don't said it's a brand new system.

but wp8 is NT kernel while wp7 is win ce. no one knows. :confused:
Sorry for digging this old thread back up but here is a VP of Windows Phone Division talking about updates. Anyone want to parse this guys language.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=n_SoO27JeJ8[/YT]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital