WP7 Support of Google

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Not looking to troll BUT this is important for my next device.

It seems like MS is putting itself on a collision course with itself.

What I mean by that is the competition (and compatibility) of WP7 with MS services (Hotmail, Bing Search, Bing Maps) with Google services (GMail, Google Search, Google Voice and Google Maps). There are a lot of people who use/love Google services (in fact, you should have seen the Android Forums when a number of Verizon phones got "Binged" - default search provider was Bing). This is a major selling point for WP7 (if you use MS services) and a major selling point against WP7 if you are a major user of Google (and obviously Androids tight native integration with those). Apple doesn't compete with Google's core services so there is decent support of their Services (in fact I've heard the Bing App on iOS is better than Bing on WP7). It looks like MS is becoming even more closed with their new integrated Accounts for
Windows 8. I certainly don't see MS making Android Apps for Skydrive, Zune music (or whatever the follow on is), XBox, etc. I haven't seen much discussion elsewhere on this topic because this would be a HUGE selling point AGAINST WP7 (or WP8) for people like me. Current users I would love to hear your experiences if you use Google services or have you just bit the bullet and use some of the workarounds (adding GMail to your Hotmail account).

Thanks to any who respond.

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't use many Google services (YouTube, Google Music, and a Gmail account I use for junk), but it's my understanding that Google is the one who isn't playing nice with Microsoft by not making their services (or api's) available to WP7, thereby forcing people to fill the void with 3rd party apps.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The whole Google spying issue turned me off to Google. I am surprised it didn't turn you off to Google.I use DuckDuckGo now

34y2u1i.jpg

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I used to use Google services at home, and still use some of them at work. However, I find most of their offerings to be overrated. I had no trouble leaving them behind in favor of the Live ecosystem.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Not looking to troll BUT this is important for my next device.

It seems like MS is putting itself on a collision course with itself.

What I mean by that is the competition (and compatibility) of WP7 with MS services (Hotmail, Bing Search, Bing Maps) with Google services (GMail, Google Search, Google Voice and Google Maps). There are a lot of people who use/love Google services (in fact, you should have seen the Android Forums when a number of Verizon phones got "Binged" - default search provider was Bing). This is a major selling point for WP7 (if you use MS services) and a major selling point against WP7 if you are a major user of Google (and obviously Androids tight native integration with those). Apple doesn't compete with Google's core services so there is decent support of their Services (in fact I've heard the Bing App on iOS is better than Bing on WP7). It looks like MS is becoming even more closed with their new integrated Accounts for
Windows 8. I certainly don't see MS making Android Apps for Skydrive, Zune music (or whatever the follow on is), XBox, etc. I haven't seen much discussion elsewhere on this topic because this would be a HUGE selling point AGAINST WP7 (or WP8) for people like me. Current users I would love to hear your experiences if you use Google services or have you just bit the bullet and use some of the workarounds (adding GMail to your Hotmail account).

Thanks to any who respond.

I've switched all my services over to Microsoft ones since getting Windows Phone and deleted my Google account. Mostly because I didn't agree with Google's new ToS and partly because I was so fed up with Android I wanted to get as far from Google stuff as possible.

Personally, I don't like Hotmail's interface as much as Gmail purely as a web based email client. However, considering that I access it mostly from my phone or through outlook that's not a problem. Also, having SkyDrive and Messenger/Facebook chat all available on the one page is pretty nice which makes up for the woeful UI, and so far I've found Hotmail to be considerably better at dealing with Junk mail than Gmail ever was.

As for apps, as Matthew Mazzenga correctly stated, it's Google who aren't developing their apps for WP7, not Microsoft stopping them. There are plenty of apps available that use the Google APIs, just not Google published ones. Given how prolific Google's services are now I would say that's entirely deliberate on their behalf.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I actually feel like they have been starting to play better together. I am a Google apps user and Google just recently fixed the search for older email option and also added the ability to sync multiple calendars. So yes there is a lot of competition but the rumors are also running around that MS will be making Live games for Android and possibly adding Google+ integration in the People hub in Tango. It does suck not having builtin latitude support, google maps, and google voice but I do think progress is being made.

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Google is not being very smart here. What is the current install base of Windows 7? Lets say a lot. Now imagine when Windows 8 hits. Does Google really want to just forget an edition of the Windows operating system base because they want to be petty? Windows 8 is going to be sold on new PC's beginning 4th quarter. Some on x86 architecture and some on ARM. All are going to have the metro start screen with applications that can be pinned. They can't be stupid enough to not want to develop for that? Can they? If they do, they may as well take all their cash on hand and start a bonfire on the campus.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the inputs

Thanks for everyone who has answered. When MS first announced WP7 I thought there is my next phone until it took Verizon an extra 9 mos to get just ONE phone. While I know WP7 runs well on last generation hardware I wasn't really enthused about buying a non-expandable last generation phone to hopefully last 18-24 months. Also, while I am probably one of the last areas to get LTE it's hard to justify not getting an LTE phone on Verizon (especially with newer battery efficient 2nd LTE). For those of you who say go to another carrier I don't consider that an option (I've been with Verizon a LONG TIME (9 Years)) because their service is extremely reliable (about the only time I don't have a signal is up in the mountains and when I travel I almost always get better service than any of my colleagues. And when I have had customer service problems they have always been friendly and helpful (short wait times and they always speak English). Right now, it doesn't look like Verizon is going to get any new WP7 or WP8 phones so they're going to lose out on the biggest carrier. My view is Verizon is so locked in to Android and LTE that they don't really want to deal with another major mobile OS - I think the Trophy was just a token phone for someone who comes in WANTING a WP7 and even then I bet the store employees will try to put him into Android or iPhone. It's a shame because I would love to see some new WP7/8 phones. Especially Apollo with higher res screens, dual core, micro SD support and LTE support. While I understand from most of you that WP7 runs great on single core I want more for a little future proofing (and higher res screes will require more CPU/GPU power to run the OS. Finally, remember there are other things accelerated by dual core and faster GPU - web surfing, better photo processing, on camera photo editing, etc. Still hopeful that I may have a choice next fall but WP7/WP8 will have to contend with following - iPhone 5 (I'm better 4.0" Retina, LTE, probably stay dual core with more ram and up the storage as high as 128GB), iOS 6, and remember they will drop the older iPhones - the 4 and 4s - to cover the budget tiers. The iPhone 4 at $99 is still a pretty nice phone. In Android, you're looking at ICS/Jelly Bean - which ICS has a pretty nice structure that is looking smooth and cohesive with Mathias Duarte (former WebOS designer) leading the way (still miss WebOS). Sorry for the long post - appreciate all the help and praying Verizon has some competitive hand sets on Verizon this Fall/Holiday Season sales. I'm looking forward to a W8 tablet (WOA) - MS is going to have to price these very competitively ($249 for a 7 inch) and say max of $399 for a 10 inch. Don't even want to speculate on the price of x86 versions - will probably be over priced. I think Apple will drop the iPad 2 down to $349-$399 with the intorduction of the iPad 3

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
The only Google product I can't do without is Gmail so I hope it will continue to work good with WP. One should not be too tied into an eco system, which is why I try to use services that are available on all platforms.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The only Google product I can't do without is Gmail so I hope it will continue to work good with WP. One should not be too tied into an eco system, which is why I try to use services that are available on all platforms.

It works ok. The bad thing is you can't see your Gmail Drafts and you can't save a draft. It's really annoying.

However, when a new email comes into Gmail, my phone notifies me very, very quickly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos