To-Do items sync anywhere?

USP45

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi all -
Does the To-Do area of the out of the box WP Calendar sync anywhere?

My test to-do doesn't seem to be going to Windows Live or Google Calendar.

Thx in advance!

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Nowhere that I know. I've gotten to like the Tasks application (free, robust, live tileable). That doesn't sync either, but I like the color scheme and ability to pin categories, and group category entries by project. It has a reminder section, but I see calendar-related tasks as appointments and get most of what I need from the native calendar -or, I've come to accept what I have.

USP45

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I did notice that a to-do created from Hotmail To-Do *did* sync pretty quickly to the phone. One I created on the WP did not sync quickly back but I think it can be attributed to the Wi-Fi on the phone coincidentally quirking out during my test.

A restart of the phone fixed it (signal was detected but the phone would not connect to the network - it did after restart).

In any case, back to the original topic... I'm hoping my company will open up Exchange Activesync soon. Workaround in the past has been a BlackBerry Redirector that allows desktop to be a faux-mail-server. Anything like that in the WP world?

USP45

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Syncs to my Windows Live Calendar

That's a little misleading though because it's no better than iPhone's iCloud.

iCloud creates a completely separate space in Outlook and everything syncs nicely WITH ITSELF but it has nothing to do with existing or future Outlook calendars and entries.

Sync with existing Outlook is what 99% of business users or people with jobs need.

Even after installing Outlook Hotmail connector all I'm getting at Windows Live are things that were created on the phone.

I think the answer to the question: "What's similar to BlackBerry's redirector?" ----> is the old desktop ActiveSync. Back when I was a PocketPC guy I remember a desktop app that allowed this. Has it been deprecated? I read somewhere that it might be coming back in the form of a Zune Desktop replacement (which is useless except to update media -- no calendar or tasks).

coffeemike

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
You'll have to give me some more understanding of your calendar and to-do setup today, then. Outlook is a client; it needs a server someplace to do anything more than just local files. WP7 should be able to sync with any server-based service, such as Windows Live, MS Exchange, and I haven't tried Google but I don't think so yet.

If you mean syncing your WP7 todos with a local Outlook, no, I don't think it does that kind of desktop integration.

USP45

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Outlook is a client; it needs a server someplace to do anything more than just local files.

Hi - the company does use Exchange; however, whatever the setting is that fixes "error 85010004" is apparently not switched on at the server. So my only workaround is to use a desktop re-director or desktop sync.

USP45

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
A follow-up for anyone who happens to search into this thread in the future.
I've moved my To-Do items from Outlook to Windows Live and it's a pretty nice experience.

I like that it's over the air instant update on the phone and that the list itself is accessible on desktop via browser.

It's better than:
- wired sync to desktop outlook.

It's probably not better than:
- over the air sync with ActiveSync enabled Exchange server.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss