Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
look.gif

Windows 8 Consumer Preview ISO formats

Have fun - Just Sharing. :)

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I download it once and it gave me an error. Will try again, maybe I got the wrong version.

Edit: I have no idea what an Iso means. Will download regularly again.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I download it once and it gave me an error. Will try again, maybe I got the wrong version.

Did the error occur when you were installing or just downloading? Think of an ISO file as an image of a DVD. You can use programs to mount the image to play/view or you can burn that image to a blank DVD to use.

If you don't have a blank DVD with enough space on it, try mounting it to a USB memory stick.

IamVortigaunt

May 20, 2011
Visit site

As supes mentioned, you need to burn or mount the ISO file. There are guides on how to install from an ISO file for Windows 8. Personally, I used burning software to burn the ISO to a bootable disc, then restarted/booted to disc. I was able to install to a spare partition. I'm unsure if you can do this by launching the install from windows so you might want to look into that. In any event, if you go the boot route, you may need to change the boot order in your bios to boot from DVD or USB.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
That sounds impossible for me. I'm too much of computer noob.

I get the error after instaling (I even get Microsoft email thanking me for trying it ). After the fish appears it gives me a Sad Face and then tries again, there it gives me a second error and reboots me to Windows 7. The messages imply that the error is unknown.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
That sounds impossible for me. I'm too much of computer noob.

I get the error after instaling (I even get Microsoft email thanking me for trying it ). After the fish appears it gives me a Sad Face and then tries again, there it gives me a second error and reboots me to Windows 7. The messages imply that the error is unknown.

I see...

If you're feeling confident.....

Are you attempting to install once your computer has already booted (switched on and loaded)? If so, try this: restart, press F2 when it's booting to load the set up - boot options - change the value of the DVD drive (if you're using ISO) so it moves up to the top of the list - save and exit. Restart and you'll be taken straight to the install instructions.

Note: you'll want to select "custom install" and partition your drive so you can 'dual boot' which basically means you won't loose your current version of windows... instead you can decide which version to boot....

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I guess saying that I was a computer noob was too vague, let me explain myself.

I have no idea what you just said, I don't know what changing the value of the DVD means, I still don't know what ISO is even though it has being explained in this very topic and on top of that I'm too scared to press any buttons when my computer is loading.

I'm not ready for anything deeper than selecting yes and no. :(

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I guess saying that I was a computer noob was too vague, let me explain myself.

I have no idea what you just said, I don't know what changing the value of the DVD means, I still don't know what ISO is even though it has being explained in this very topic and on top of that I'm too scared to press any buttons when my computer is loading.

I'm not ready for anything deeper than selecting yes and no. :(

Ok, no problem, Winterfang. :) Probably best we don't attempt anything and end up breaking it. :D

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
This is too cool!

The interface is so nice (not surprising since it's Metro) but it works so nicely on a desktop. Way better than I thought it would.

IE full screen without borders is rather nice too.

Only played for 5mins but loving it.

Last edited:

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Like ie 10 so fast... But i cant install flash? It says the install was correct But its not working when i tried on ? couple of youtube clips

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I've only played with w8 a little bit so far but I gotta say I'm not sure how useful the metro interface will be on a desktop. I'm sure it'll be great on a tablet, but it just seems like a waste of space on a big screen. I found myself having to keep going into desktop mode for certain things, and switching back and forth between metro and desktop seems a bit confusing and counter-productive. Maybe I'll get used to it eventually.

Oh, and getting rid of the start button on desktop mode is a huge WTF in my opinion. Don't see why MS felt the need to do that, other than being stubborn.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I've only played with w8 a little bit so far but I gotta say I'm not sure how useful the metro interface will be on a desktop. I'm sure it'll be great on a tablet, but it just seems like a waste of space on a big screen. I found myself having to keep going into desktop mode for certain things, and switching back and forth between metro and desktop seems a bit confusing and counter-productive. Maybe I'll get used to it eventually.

Oh, and getting rid of the start button on desktop mode is a huge WTF in my opinion. Don't see why MS felt the need to do that, other than being stubborn.

Gotta agree with your take after using W8 this weekend. I loved the Metro UI but when I needed to get any serious work done I rebooted back into W7 or used the desktop just as you said. Its only a preview but let's hope they plug these gaps on final release.

It'll be interesting to see how they bridge this because I can't see the corporate world buying in at all. Feels more like a media consumption OS than a work station.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes