BB 9860 versus Samsung Focus S. Choice, choices

oldmanjenkins

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Currently have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and am looking to go to either a BB 9860 or a WP Samsung Focus S. My last windows phone was when it was windows mobile and my memories are of few apps and a volatile OS. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Who here has switched from an Android to WP or a BB to WP and what has been your experience so far?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
hey oldmanjenkins welcome to the forum!

well first things WM and WP are completely different systems , take every thing you know in WM and trow it out the window! ( no pun intended lol ) dont get me wrong its still the same great experience! and BETTER!

if your on GS2 , i think you will love the Samsung Focus S ( they have very similar build )

again its hard for me to say witch phone is better for you with out knowing what you use your phone for but here i go.

BB:

- if you wana use BBM.
- if you want the BEST E-mail experience
- simple black on white device ( might get boring for you , coming from android )
- best security system ( good for work e-mails and other privacy)

WP:

- if you have an Xbox i suggest it!
- more interactive then BB
- Bing :p ( if you like it , i personalty like it more then Google/maps)
- innovative ( live tiles are great for in and out when your in a hurry )
- also very good with privacy , we are safe from all the malware!!

if you check out the link in my signature: then go to Metro UI section , you can test the Metro UI on your android to get a better feel for it :)

oldmanjenkins

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Se1fcr3ation, does WP have live tiles like the android widgets? Also do you get notifications as in android? I am big time on Xbox as well as PS3 (but more Xbox). :confused:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Se1fcr3ation, does WP have live tiles like the android widgets? Also do you get notifications as in android? I am big time on Xbox as well as PS3 (but more Xbox). :confused:

you cant really compare live tiles to widgets on Android.

Wiggets on android are static. they might have a little number appear or something but nothing special.

Live tiles on WP : ill use the WPcentral app as an example: when ever a new article is released your tile will FLIP over with the title and the first couple words of the article. and it will shwo you a little # of how many NEW articles are up fromt he last time you opened the app.

same thing with the weather app: tiles will flip to show you update temperature and a map of your local area.

as for the notification , sadly we dont have a *drop down* tab like on android. but each individual tile (where you have a updated ) will show you the notification.

Exp: e-mail tile wills how you how many new e-mails you got , same thing with SMS , Facebook app , twitter ect....

I know allot of complaints is the lack of a notification center but we are hoping for it in the next update :)

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
BB is a great platform. But if I were you I would get the Samsung Focus S.
Because you own a GS2 and an Xbox go with the S because it's the same build as the GS2 and you own an Xbox.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

oldmanjenkins

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
How is the "push" response with emails? Is gmail pretty easy to set up? I'll have to say in the videos I have seen on engadget and TechnoBuffalo the OS looks rather smooth with the transition effects. How is the Xbox Live integration on WP? It looks really good.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
How is the "push" response with emails? Is gmail pretty easy to set up? I'll have to say in the videos I have seen on engadget and TechnoBuffalo the OS looks rather smooth with the transition effects. How is the Xbox Live integration on WP? It looks really good.

Gmail is flawless. Xbox Live integration, especially with the free Xbox Companion app, is incredible. I use pull email with 30 minute sync intervals, but it is push capable. Honestly if you're going to go to ATT I would hold off until April when the Nokia Lumia 900 comes out. Same size screen with better direct sunlight viewing, LTE capable, and a larger battery. Not to mention it's super sexy...

the_tyrant

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Lumina looks really good. How about themes. I have seen some threads here. Are there any good sites I should be checking?

Themes with windows phone?

you can't change it that much (unlike windows mobile or android)

don't expect things like HTC sense, the most that you can realistically expect is to change your color scheme

oldmanjenkins

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I got the Samsung Focus Flash (didn't feel like ordering the S, wanted to walk in and walk out). Will be trying it out for 30 days. I may switch to Titan II, or Lumina 900. Having fun with it so far. Now trying to find a good tv guide like app (android and IOS has iT.V.).

oldmanjenkins

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Doing good so far with Samsung Focus Flash. The UI is very smooth and the OS (for me) seems very intuitive. Really like the Xbox Live integration.:D

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and what is a good turn by turn gps app?

Bing Maps is free and offers voice guided turn-by-turn but only uses the 2D overhead map.

Navigon is really good but pricey. Occasionally goes on sale. Does offer downloadable offline maps, great for when you lose your signal. Many other nice features included.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/apps/f7a3b10b-302f-49b2-92ae-b77a7392789e

Garmin is another solid choice. According to reviewers the trial version is crap.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/apps/eb4c6c3c-549c-e011-986b-78e7d1fa76f8

A cheaper solution is Navigation. I did the trial but didn't like it.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/apps/b452aafb-a683-e011-986b-78e7d1fa76f8

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion