That's some ol' BS, Google. Give me a Windows Phone!!!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Privacy advocate demands Google replace his Android phone with a Windows one | WMPoweruser

Alex Hanff, a prominent privacy campaigner based in Lancaster, England, has filed a claim against Google at the small claims court for around ?400 to replace his HTC Desire.

The action is a response to Google?s recent privacy changes, which would pool data from Google?s various services, including Android location data, so the company can build up a more precise profile to sell to advertisers.

?The changes are a significant infringement of my right to privacy and I do not consent to Google being able to use my data in such a way,? said Alex Hanff, calling the changes an unfair change in contract terms andwhich will force Mr Hanff to buy a new smartphone.

...Mr Hanff said that he will replace his Android device with a Windows Phone smartphone.

?There?s not much choice but I wouldn?t want to be subject to Apple?s privacy policy and Microsoft?s seems the least threatening at the moment,? he said.

I guess that's a compliment. :D

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Brilliant.. I love it. :D

I also noticed on the news this morning that the French government have warned Google that they could be breaking some EU laws. . . now that could be interesting if it develops. :)

AlderonIron

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yep thats Google for you, lets force users to let us bombard them with more crap while invading their privacy at the same time!

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
That's why I don't have a Google account.

Also, I think Mr. Hanff is simply trying to score a Lumia, LMAO! Clever way of going about it, and great publicity for Windows Phone!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Well the EU isn't too happy about it.

EU: Google's new privacy policy breaches European law -- Engadget

Remember how proud Google was when it unified all of its services under a single privacy policy? Well, Big G's excitement was tempered when the EU asked it to hold off on the policy's implementation while it investigated the changes. And its enthusiasm is likely all but extinguished now that EU Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding has declared the policy to be in breach of European law. She found fault with the fact that the EU wasn't consulted in the policy's formation, the policy doesn't meet transparency requirements, and it allows Google to give people's private data to third parties. No word on what Europa's governing body will do with such findings in hand, but it seems certain that the crew in Mountain View's got some policy revisions to make. Guess simplifying those privacy policies wasn't so simple, was it?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Well the EU isn't too happy about it.

EU: Google's new privacy policy breaches European law -- Engadget

Remember how proud Google was when it unified all of its services under a single privacy policy? Well, Big G's excitement was tempered when the EU asked it to hold off on the policy's implementation while it investigated the changes. And its enthusiasm is likely all but extinguished now that EU Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding has declared the policy to be in breach of European law. She found fault with the fact that the EU wasn't consulted in the policy's formation, the policy doesn't meet transparency requirements, and it allows Google to give people's private data to third parties. No word on what Europa's governing body will do with such findings in hand, but it seems certain that the crew in Mountain View's got some policy revisions to make. Guess simplifying those privacy policies wasn't so simple, was it?
Europe takes privacy rights more seriously than the US does, which is great. The EU also takes anti-trust issues seriously as well, as evidenced by what they did to Microsoft last decade. I think it was a bit unfair towards Microsoft, but I don't want to go off on that tangent ;)

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Lots of europeans remember what happend when you get ? diktator that wants to controll the people. Just imagine if a guy like Stalin was around today with todays technic to control what people do...

TheDoros

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I've actually pretty much started binging everything rather than use google. I actually only use their email service now and almost exclusively through my HD7.

Something about the way they collect data just makes me uncomfortable.

Sent from my T9295 using Board Express

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I love it! I deleted my Google account on Feb 29th. I will probably make a new one eventually just for YouTube, but it'll be a while.

I'm guilty of doing the latter. I just couldn't live without Youtube. I won't touch Gmail after linking it to my Hotmail account. . . kinda helps the bitter after taste.

Gmotagi

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
The thing is, no one is forcing him/you to use Google. While I love WP & hate the way Google forces adverts down you throat at every opportunity, that is how they pay for the FREE services you are using. I dont really get why they did this but I assume at the bottom of it is they can sell you advertising better. So bottom line if you dont agree dont use.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
The thing is, no one is forcing him/you to use Google.

I was. I was forced when they took over Youtube and made me open a Gmail account.

I can also understand anyone who feels conned when a company changes it's policy once you're already tied into them.

Gmotagi

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but how exactly did they force you to use youtube? I know what you are saying but they didnt. It was/is your choice. You may not like having to make it or accepting they dodgy agreement but at end of the day, delete your account if its too much to bare.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but how exactly did they force you to use youtube? I know what you are saying but they didnt. It was/is your choice. You may not like having to make it or accepting they dodgy agreement but at end of the day, delete your account if its too much to bare.

For the record, you said "Google", but anyhow...

That's not entirely the reality of the situation. I chose to open my Youtube account and was perfectly happy for over a year going about uploading videos to my channel and formulating playlists. I was entirely invested into Youtube and enjoyed the service immensely. THEN, Google came along and bought-out Youtube. Consequently, I was kicked out of my account and FORCED to open a Gmail account if I wished to continue using the account I had dedicated many hours of my time to. Nope - my Hotmail wasn't good enough as Google want to track my privacy information, not just across Youtube and 'Google', but my email account as well.

Bring on an alternate toYoutube and I'll be gone like the wind. I'd be willing to bet that millions of others would as well... hint hint Microsoft. :)

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I've never been a fan of Google either - which was why I stuck with Yahoo. I'm in the same boat as many others with being forced to agree to google's takeover of youtube. I'm beginning to suspect many of these media sites. Used to use "putfile" until they got taken over by ebaum and my media files all disappeared!

I haven't signed in to my you tube account and won't - but what I WILL do is upload my media I want to share to PHOTOBUCKET and PICTURETRAIL! I'll even shuck out a few bucks for their pro accounts in order to eliminate ads.

I refuse to subscribe to Google! When I tried out the HTC Trophy for 12 hours I had to create a Google account - but I returned the phone and Google refuses to let me close the account, but they won't let me sign in to it either! They stink! :mad:

I'll go out of my way to use Bing and Yahoo for my searches. I have enough email addresses to keep track of - I don't need another one just to participate on their usurped media site! They should have changed the name from "youtube"to "Gootube".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05