Prepaid First Gen WPs

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Anyone using a first gen phone (specifically a Focus) with a GoPhone for ATT? I see a Focus and HD7S as an option for GoPhones in the ATT website, but was wondering if you HAVE to get a data plan? The site states that "Smartphone users must purchase a data package to use data services with any plan." But it doesn't say if I can opt out of data use. I know if I ask an ATT rep at a store, they will always say "yes you need to have data". Which is not always true, especially for older smartphones (like the Motorola Backlip I gave my mom).

I'm asking this, because I am near the end of my contract and wanting to just do a prepaid plan, because they got a $50/month - unlimited voice, text (local + international), data (non-smartphone). Just weighing my options.

So do you have a GoPhone sim and were you forced to get a data plan for your first gen WP?

Last edited:

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks! That's a good option. Do you know if unlimited texts include international or if they have the option to add international? I have family oversees and would like that option, but is probably not a deal breaker.

So $45 includes unlimited data for your Focus? Wow!

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I can't imagine ATT could tell you what phone you could/could not use on a prepay plan. T-Mo can't. I'm on T-Mo's Monthly 4G plan and there's no rules or requirements regarding smartphones. I'm on the unlimited voice, unlimited text, 100 MB data plan for $50. But by using Calling Mart to refill my account, and a 3-5% discount code, I always pay less than $47 a month for it. Not bad! Calling Mart also has refills for ATT prepay.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I can't imagine ATT could tell you what phone you could/could not use on a prepay plan. T-Mo can't. I'm on T-Mo's Monthly 4G plan and there's no rules or requirements regarding smartphones. I'm on the unlimited voice, unlimited text, 100 MB data plan for $50. But by using Calling Mart to refill my account, and a 3-5% discount code, I always pay less than $47 a month for it. Not bad! Calling Mart also has refills for ATT prepay.

Thats a good option too! How are you able to keep your data use below 100MB on a smartphone?

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Anyone using a first gen phone (specifically a Focus) with a GoPhone for ATT? I see a Focus and HD7S as an option for GoPhones in the ATT website, but was wondering if you HAVE to get a data plan? The site states that "Smartphone users must purchase a data package to use data services with any plan." But it doesn't say if I can opt out of data use. I know if I ask an ATT rep at a store, they will always say "yes you need to have data". Which is not always true, especially for older smartphones (like the Motorola Backlip I gave my mom).

I'm asking this, because I am near the end of my contract and wanting to just do a prepaid plan, because they got a $50/month - unlimited voice, text (local + international). Just weighing my options.

So do you have a GoPhone sim and were you forced to get a data plan for your first gen WP?
You don't need a data plan, but without one, there is no data. If you use a non-smartphone, you can get pay-as-you-go data for an astronomical fee deducted from your balance.

So you need a data plan on the Focus if you want data, but you aren't required to purchase a data plan if you don't :)
Thanks! That's a good option. Do you know if unlimited texts include international or if they have the option to add international? I have family oversees and would like that option, but is probably not a deal breaker.

Be careful of Straight Talk's "unlimited" promise. If you use somewhere between 100-200MB of data per day, up to around 2GB per month, they will simply cancel your account and you'll lose your number. It's too ambiguous to be useful, unless you absolutely won't use that much data in one day. They will also shut you down if you use more than 5000 minutes per month (but who does that? :straight:).

Jolt Mobile and Red Pocket Mobile are both forthright about how much data you get (2GB) and you can use it all in one day if you want. They offer international plans/rates, but I don't know what and how much they cost.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I am very curious about the data speeds that are available with a prepaid plan, as compared to the data speeds on a post-paid plan. What kind of speeds are you seeing?

My Quantum (just 3G) gets download speeds averaging 1.5 to 2 mbps, while my Focus S averages about 3, while occasionally nearing 5 mbps.

...I'm really looking forward to LTE...

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
You don't need a data plan, but without one, there is no data. If you use a non-smartphone, you can get pay-as-you-go data for an astronomical fee deducted from your balance.

So you need a data plan on the Focus if you want data, but you aren't required to purchase a data plan if you don't :)

Be careful of Straight Talk's "unlimited" promise. If you use somewhere between 100-200MB of data per day, up to around 2GB per month, they will simply cancel your account and you'll lose your number. It's too ambiguous to be useful, unless you absolutely won't use that much data in one day. They will also shut you down if you use more than 5000 minutes per month (but who does that? :straight:).

Jolt Mobile and Red Pocket Mobile are both forthright about how much data you get (2GB) and you can use it all in one day if you want. They offer international plans/rates, but I don't know what and how much they cost.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the great suggestions. I didn't realize that there were so many options for prepaid!

About ST, I just got done going through reviews, and most of the complaints are about the almost non-existant customer service. I guess it doesn't matter if you never have to call them, but if I'm going to rely on a company that piggy backs off of major carrier towers, I need to assume that I may need call CS more than once.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Thats a good option too! How are you able to keep your data use below 100MB on a smartphone?

Well, my situation is unique. I am not allowed to have my cell at work. So when I arrive at work I put my phone into airplane mode. And on the drive back home (20-30 mins) I take it out of airplane mode. Once I arrive home my phone connects to the WiFi. Right now, with 21 days of usage, I have only used 56 MB of data. I have very few programs that run in the background. I don't game. I don't social network. I don't download/stream music. I think my style of cell phone usage is not typical. I have a friend from work who uses a couple of gigs per month on his Sprint phone. For the life of me I can't figure out how someone does that.

But T-Mobile's Monthly 4G plans are very affordable and reasonable, I think. They have a plan of unlimited voice, unlimited text, and 2 GB of data for $60. Not bad.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Well, my situation is unique. I am not allowed to have my cell at work. So when I arrive at work I put my phone into airplane mode. And on the drive back home (20-30 mins) I take it out of airplane mode. Once I arrive home my phone connects to the WiFi. Right now, with 21 days of usage, I have only used 56 MB of data. I have very few programs that run in the background. I don't game. I don't social network. I don't download/stream music. I think my style of cell phone usage is not typical. I have a friend from work who uses a couple of gigs per month on his Sprint phone. For the life of me I can't figure out how someone does that.

But T-Mobile's Monthly 4G plans are very affordable and reasonable, I think. They have a plan of unlimited voice, unlimited text, and 2 GB of data for $60. Not bad.

Just last night I did a hard reset on my phone to get rid of all my apps and accounts that uses data. I've just installed the bare minimum that I think I need: Hotmail and FB accounts. My wifi is always on, so the phone will connect to a network when available. I wanna see how low I can get my monthly data. I'm beginning to see how unnecessary all the apps I've been using are. I've realised that I don't really need them and only use them, because they are on my phone.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Just last night I did a hard reset on my phone to get rid of all my apps and accounts that uses data. I've just installed the bare minimum that I think I need: Hotmail and FB accounts. My wifi is always on, so the phone will connect to a network when available. I wanna see how low I can get my monthly data. I'm beginning to see how unnecessary all the apps I've been using are. I've realised that I don't really need them and only use them, because they are on my phone.

Yep, I think that on most folks' phones most apps are not used, yet the apps continue to use up data in the background, as well as battery. I am 100% sure you'll see a huge decrease in your data usage now that you did a reset and are going with a barebones install.

With T-Mo, even if you go over your monthly data allotment, you aren't cut off. You're just clocked down to 2G speeds.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using a Samsung Focus on T-Mobile's pay-as-you-go.

Just so you know, the AT&T Focus' bands don't work with T-Mobile's 3G network, so you'll be stuck on EDGE if you choose to use T-Mobile.

I have a friend from work who uses a couple of gigs per month on his Sprint phone. For the life of me I can't figure out how someone does that.
It's very easy actually. You don't even have to download anything. Anyone who casually uses his phone to web surf everyday will rack up several GB data usage per month.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site

They have International time packages that you can add. I'm not sure of those prices since I have not looked into that.

Yes, I get everything for $45. I've had them for months and have had no problems. I have my phone set-up to check 4 different email addresses every 15 minutes, plus several live times and also using facebook every day and have not gotten a nasty message or cut off from Straight Talk. But I have heard of people supposedly getting cut off, personally, I have not witnessed that. But who knows.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
So I guess it's down to ATT and ST, if I want to use 3G. And if I want to keep the price $50 or below, I have to choose between unlimited international text (ATT) or unlimited data (ST)...

Thanks again guys!

DrewT3

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
t-mobile also has a unlimited text, 5GB 4G data and 100 minute plan for $30. You can use skype to save the 100 minutes. You can use it with any t-mobile phone like an 710 or HD7.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Although I am on an AT&T unlimited plan (data speeds suck) WiFi is on 24/7. I have WiFi available at home and office. Been averaging 210MB/month for the past 13 months. Very consistent. I have nearly 200 apps, many of which run the background, plus 4 email accounts that sync or push all day. I watch videos occasionally and don't stream much music (couldn't with AT&Ts crappy signal anyway. When y contract expires on April I am considering a GoPlan with the 500MB/data plan. Could save about $33/month. Background apps don't really use all that much data, and they consume very little battery. Prior to turning on WiFi, I was using about 2GB/month, which is closer to my monthly usage.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft needs to name you Marketplace Consumer of the year! :D

That is probably just the number of apps he has currently installed on his Surround. Am I right, Jimski?

I am not a huge app person; Windows Phone allows freedom from that. I do try out lots of apps though, and according to Reinstaller, I have DL'd 411 apps/games so far. I'd say I usually have less than 125 on a device at a time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital