BGR Report Accuracy?

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm new here, as my post count will attest to, but I have been following Windows Phone ever since HP killed webOS. And I have a question about the recent BGR report that the Lumia 900 was pushed back to April.

Why are we believing it?

I have seen a number of stories about the Lumia being pushed back and all of them attribute the BGR report as their source. Why are we believing them when the last "official" word from Nokia was the Lumia 900 was due in March?

I'm just curious why we are putting so much weight into the BGR report.

Last edited:

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Because they get a lot right.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

True. But even MacRumors consider them hit or miss. During the last MacBook update BGR went 0-fer.

I'm just saying their "trusted source" had some pretty specific information that no one else has managed to acquire. I'm just curious why we so readily accept his report. If he had said something similar about any Apple product, all of the other tech blogs would have launched a full scale investigation to confirm the data.

It's not a criticism; more of an observation. I'm more liable to trust a still-published developer letter from the manufacturer itself over a trusted source to a tech blog. Especially since no further information is given.

We have not seen anyone else independantly corroberate this information. All of the stories source BGR.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral! Sorry, I can't pull a WeeBear and give you a cool GIF...

Why are we believing it?

Many of us have minor sources with AT&T and others. Very few people are sticking to the release date of the 18th of March. I have been told two different dates for when it is supposed to be released. The 8th, and the 22nd of April. I'm believing the 22nd. Partially because the 8th is Easter Sunday!

Also, as much initial hype was shared by all the parties involved, I would say that they are not ready to release this device on the 18th. If they did, it would be a failure from a marketing standpoint.

Here's hoping I can get my 900 before May!!

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I'm new here, as my post count will attest to, but I have been following Windows Phone ever since HP killed webOS. And I have a question about the recent BGR report that the Lumia 900 was pushed back to April.

Why are we believing it?

I have seen a number of stories about the Lumia being pushed back and all of them attribute the BGR report as their source. Why are we believing them when the last "official" word from Nokia was the Lumia 900 was due in March?

I'm just curious why we are putting so much weight into the BGR report.

Because we wnat to believe that it was coming in the first place and there is enough anecdotal to support it to believe it even more and then on the other hand they have been wrong also and rumors pop up from "trusted diurces" to say otherwise and Nokia ATT and MS wont do anything to confirm or deny either side of the proposition as far as the 900 is cvoncerned.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Because it is easier to believe bad news. There would be no reason for them to tell someone that the release date was pushed back (besides accuracy of course), but to please people they would tell them that the date was sooner.

damielrohie

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Rogers in Canada is starting pre-orders for the 900 right away. If ATT has world exclusivity for any period of time, it has to be coming soon...

Not necessarily. They can take pre-orders and then wait three months before releasing it allowing AT&T to keep their exclusivity and allow AT&T to release later in April.

damielrohie

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, Nokia will be hosting a dev showcase at the SXSW conference on March 12. Call this speculation, but that sounds like a good chance to announce a Lumia 900 availability date since they'll have some there to showcase.

I hope so as well. The problem, i think, is that the longer Nokia and Microsoft wait the more the Lumia 900 starts to compete with Apollo phone speculation. 6-8 months now drops to like 5-7. Makes it easier to wait i feel.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm going to hold out hope for March. It was "supposed" to launch next week and I think the wheels were already turning on the marketing machine. It has already gotten all of the required approvals and Nokia is giving them away by the handful at a job fair late this week.

We have a bunch of cirumstantial evidence that points to a launch during March and all we have is a "trusted source" saying it'll happen in April.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I learned my lesson from all the Iphone 5 rumors last fall. Because we're anxious for information we believe rumors and spectulation. As of yet neither Nokia, Microsoft or AT&T have released official launch dates for the 900. As my son would say....."dude you need to chill"

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 900 is on prisjakt now. Means that companies in seden has begun there prebook for it so it Will be in Sweden around may or so... So if it was something exclusive for us in ? period then it must be 18th of march. But since that's soon ingick that 22nd of april could be right.. But then it Will be exclusive for like ? week..

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
For the people questioning the accuracy of BGR, what date do you think the 900 will release? The 18th date that was also speculation and rumored and never confirmed. If you dont believe BGR, why believe all the other blogs stating 18th date?

I am basing my opinion on the following that a March release is unlikely:

* MS putting up pre-order in store and then pulling
* no marketing whatsoever
* absolutely no new details on the 900 in the U.S since CES. Nokia only talking about 900 in other countries outside of U.S. As you can see, more news for the 900 in canada/australia than the u.s.
* No details at MWC
* Late FCC Approval

Odds are, April at the least is the release date.

Nevertheless, announcing this in January and not releasing soon after is a complete debacle. Something happened in between that resulted in the release of the 900 to drag this long, who knows what it is and who know who's fault it is as well.

damielrohie

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
For the people questioning the accuracy of BGR, what date do you think the 900 will release? The 18th date that was also speculation and rumored and never confirmed. If you dont believe BGR, why believe all the other blogs stating 18th date?

I am basing my opinion on the following that a March release is unlikely:

* MS putting up pre-order in store and then pulling
* no marketing whatsoever
* absolutely no new details on the 900 in the U.S since CES. Nokia only talking about 900 in other countries outside of U.S. As you can see, more news for the 900 in canada/australia than the u.s.
* No details at MWC
* Late FCC Approval

Odds are, April at the least is the release date.

Nevertheless, announcing this in January and not releasing soon after is a complete debacle. Something happened in between that resulted in the release of the 900 to drag this long, who knows what it is and who know who's fault it is as well.

True and very valid points. so let's start our own rumors!

So i have heard from trusted sources close to the matter that the Lumia 900 is going to be released world wide with WP7.5 loaded on it. then when AT&T does release the Lumia 900 it will actually be loaded with WP8. now AT&T will actually release the 900 after the rest of the world has it, but they will have WP8 exclusivity for 45 days. after the 45 days the rest of the 900s will be upgraded just in time for the release of the dedicated Apollo phones.

and actually the March 18th might be true but if we never get told that it is true we will assume it was a rumor and same with the 22th. it is all hearsay! except for what i just wrote. that is utterly and completely true from my trusted source close to the matter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel