Messaging Out of Country

dylanchapman

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello,
I live in the United States. Later this week I am going to Ireland, Wales, and London. AT&T has ridiculous out-of-country fees ($0.50+ per text message, $0.99 a minute for calls). Data is outrageously expensive, and I really have no use for it there anyway, but I would like to make a few texts/phone calls when I'm there, since I'll be there for over a week.

Are there any apps/services I can use to get free texting from those countries -to the United States- for free, or even an app I can buy for a few dollars?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I go to France. When we get over there, the first thing we always do is stop and get a local SIM card (normally through Orange). You should do the same thing. Put like $20 on it.

If you have an AT&T phone, just call them and tell them you are going overseas and you need the unlock code for your phone.

dylanchapman

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I go to France. When we get over there, the first thing we always do is stop and get a local SIM card (normally through Orange). You should do the same thing. Put like $20 on it.

If you have an AT&T phone, just call them and tell them you are going overseas and you need the unlock code for your phone.
Thanks! Do you know roughly how much $20 would get you? They're trying to charge $25 (+$5 to add it to the plan) for 50 texts, counting sent and received. Then $0.90 for every text on top of that. Since it's the phone same number, I just didn't want to be charged so much if someone happens to message me while I'm there.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks! Do you know roughly how much $20 would get you? They're trying to charge $25 (+$5 to add it to the plan) for 50 texts, counting sent and received. Then $0.90 for every text on top of that. Since it's the phone same number, I just didn't want to be charged so much if someone happens to message me while I'm there.

You need to search for a few British carriers online to see their rates, or maybe someone from the UK will chime in here.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

20 bucks for 50 texts? LOL What a giant freaking scam text messaging plans are

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Remembering what WeeBear paid in the UK. I am thinking a 3UK Pay As You Go SIM card may be your best bet, price wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte