Put people first?

aliensa

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I got a Lumia 800.
Wow .... great phone..... the only thing that is irritating is the WP 7.5 OS ....
While it definitely does have wonderful social networking features, the overall user experience is dampened by the locked interface policy.
Got a courtesy call from a local MS exec after sending it in for 'repair'.... and complaining on a local forum. Logged the Lumia in for repair because i could not get the bluetooth to work. Nothing in the documentation received with the phone or any of the advertising on Nokia or GSM site suggested that WP7.5 screws up bluetooth functionality. The carrier repair serfvice also did not know this and tried for eleven days to 'fix' it.
The MS exec explained that BT does not work because of the locked interface policy that has been adopted because of security issues ... blah blah blah
... funny thing is the lack of BT tethering, data transfer etc. forces any poor unprotected WP7 user to venture naked onto the virus/spam/malware infested World Wild Web to do anything ....

This 'secure' policy also kills the simple capability to easily create custom ringtones.
The so-called 'method' provided on the Windows Phone site is probably the dumbest (aka stupid, retarded, moronic, brainless) suggestion i have ever seen for what is supposed to be a totally simple and obvious feature.

Stop bull5h*tting us MS.
We all understand that MS has submitted to the music/film industry beast (SOPA etc...).

... any lawyers reading this that want to make a load of money sueing MS?
The fact that an official MS site suggests a workaround method (however lame) is pure hypocrisy. You lock WP7.5 to prevent piracy and then officially tell people how to become a pirate .... aargghh aargghh aargghh:rolleyes: :lol:

If old Nokia phones can provide music access (Nokia music) and allow simple ringtone features and BT tethering, data transfers etc. then why can't the new MS/Nokia marriage?

MS: Put your money where your mouth is and actually do something to 'Put People First' - not the music/film industry corporate!

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm just gonna sit back and watch this one...

tCp90.gif

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I suggest you go out and sell your Lumia 800 ASAP. And then pick up a safe and secure Android phone. Have a nice day.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Wow, in before the close. I don't know where to begin with this one.

-Haven't seen anyone do a BT transfer since 2006
-there is WiFi tethering which is more secure and faster than BT.
-WP is tons more stable,secure and reliable than android will ever be. (even when unlocked).
-the ringtone creation method isn't the only way to obtain ringtones,there are plenty of apps that provide ringtones and even allow creation of such.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to agree with the earlier poster that your needs are probably more met by an Android OS phone. Which is fine.

I also have to admit that I agree with another poster here that I haven't seen a BT transfer in years (sure, more features would be nice, but it's not one that a lot of people seem to have a need for.)

However, I would say that your statement that "MS screws up BT" is wrong. They simply chose not to implement parts of the BT stack- and you'll find this is true in a lot of BT devices, both because of hardware choices or driver choices. My lenovo laptop, for example, is missing a fair number of audio profiles, but not b/c they "screwed up BT," but because they chose not to implement it.

Now, if you'd like to talk about Android for a second with "screwing up BT" as you call it- my Galaxy SII can't find my HTC Incredible over BT. So... not so sure that Android is winning any awards in my book for "working."

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I recommend getting the N9. Is about the same but is prettier, bigger screen and superior camera. I don't know about the OS but it can't be that bad.

astroXP

Jul 1, 2011
twitter.com
I'll just comment on two things:

1. It seems to me you didn't even took the time to research Windows Phone OS to see if it met your needs.
  2. I can't believe this topic, which doesn't even "contribute" to WP, got replies and views compared to mine. Jeez, it seems it's time to move onto another forum where my input can be read.

aliensa

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
.... seems the actual points of note are lost in translation?
I actually do like the Lumia and the WP OS is nice .....

it was just irritating that:
- i was told to book the the phone in for 'repair' by the service provider when i asked about why i could not BT pair the Lumia with my old Nokia and a lot of other phones.
- the weird lame method expected to get custom ringtones ...

It may be that i was ignorant and uneducated about all the issues regarding WP OS, but why was the appointed Lumia launch carrier service centre unaware of the BT limitation?
If there really is no issue with the idea of using your own paid for music for custom ringtones then why make it so difficult? Apps do not make it much easier as it is very difficult for developers to directly use your own on-phone media library music.

WiFi tethering may be technically better, but it requires a lot more hardware and other configuration to simply be possible .... The idea of BT is simplicity - same reason why NFC is being implemented.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
.... seems the actual points of note are lost in translation?
I actually do like the Lumia and the WP OS is nice .....

it was just irritating that:
- i was told to book the the phone in for 'repair' by the service provider when i asked about why i could not BT pair the Lumia with my old Nokia and a lot of other phones.
- the weird lame method expected to get custom ring tones ...

It may be that i was ignorant and uneducated about all the issues regarding WP OS, but why was the appointed Lumia launch carrier service centre unaware of the BT limitation?
If there really is no issue with the idea of using your own paid for music for custom ring tones then why make it so difficult? Apps do not make it much easier as it is very difficult for developers to directly use your own on-phone media library music.

WiFi tethering may be technically better, but it requires a lot more hardware and other configuration to simply be possible .... The idea of BT is simplicity - same reason why NFC is being implemented.

As technology moves forward some things get left behind choices are made. Microsoft has chosen not to include some of the older technologies like BTT with NFC coming and WIFI sync being the superior choice it makes sense. There will always be people who are not ready to give up there older technologies that is fine but this might not be the OS for you.

Why Microsoft didn't make Ring tones and alert tones a priority drives me nuts. Personally I couldn't care less but it would be nice to have. It is however a sticking point to this OS that could easily be resolved and hasn't.

aliensa

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Why Microsoft didn't make Ring tones and alert tones a priority drives me nuts. Personally I couldn't care less but it would be nice to have. It is however a sticking point to this OS that could easily be resolved and hasn't.

Thanks Dave. At least there seems to be one person here with the balls to not just simply suck-up and try and rationalise the MS screw-up.

... also what happened to the obvious need for independent volume controls?

aliensa

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
True.
.... for the same reason that it's crippled on WP.
Apple can get away with it ... 'cos it's Apple.

can MS get away with it?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I recommend getting the N9. Is about the same but is prettier, bigger screen and superior camera. I don't know about the OS but it can't be that bad.
No, it's absolutely awful. I'd draw a direct comparison between it and whatever the Samsung Jet Icon shipped with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa