Buying a Used Focus

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about buying a used Focus to hold me over till the 900 comes out. The only question I have is that I would be a new subscriber, and my wife would need a subsidized phone. Is it possible for her to start a contract, and for me to not be on a contract until the 900 comes out so I can get the subsidized price? Also, is there a way to check whether a GSM phone is stolen or not? I know Verizon phones you can check the ESN, but not sure about AT&T phones. Thanks.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm not that knowledgeable about buying buying used phones, but I think the Lumia 900 will be out within a month so you may just want to wait it out with whatever phone you have now...

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
hey JDP:

regarding the stolen phone , blocking the ESN of a phone to prevent usage is ONLY available on CDMA phones. if you lose your WP and they take out the SIM card before your trace it. nothing you can do! I know this cause i got my phone stolen last year :( a FOCUS on top of things lol :(

if your thief doesn't take out the SIM CARD like others say , you can: lock , find , ring , erase your phone.

regarding buying a USED focus.

you can walk into any store an buy it OUT RIGHT , but it HAS to be active ( doesn't need a contract ) the ONLY time you can buy a phone with out activating it is if its a subsidized phone . Subsidized phones are phones sold on non-contracts with out activation.

so you get get the outright price on the phone no contract no problem

BUT!!

i suggest buying it from E-bay or KIJIJI from a local persona and not FULL price cause you will lose $$ for nothing .

+ the NOKIA 900 is coming out in 2-3 weeks!!! your almost better off waiting.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I may still wait, it's just my wife is itching to switch from VZW because she needs a new phone. I'm not worried about getting my phone stolen, just curious about if I buy a used phone, do I run the risk of getting a stolen one and not being able to activate it? Like I said, I will prob wait, but there is a NIB focus on craigslist near me for $175 and a used for $150. That is the only reason I'm even asking. I'm really hoping the 8th/9th rumor is correct because I would like to upgrade from my Trophy before going on a cruise in mid-April. Lol.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I had to get off of Sprint within a certain window of time to avoid ETF fees, and the 900 wasn't ready yet when I switched to AT&T. So I just picked up five used WP7 phones on craigslist for $75-$100 and went on a monthly plan with AT&T until the 900. You can wait or you can go that route and resell the phones again later.

And yes AT&T phones don't get blacklisted like CDMA phones do. It's all about the SIM card.

richv77

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I can sell you my Focus with case in Excellent condition. I am in Philly.

-Rich

I'm thinking about buying a used Focus to hold me over till the 900 comes out. The only question I have is that I would be a new subscriber, and my wife would need a subsidized phone. Is it possible for her to start a contract, and for me to not be on a contract until the 900 comes out so I can get the subsidized price? Also, is there a way to check whether a GSM phone is stolen or not? I know Verizon phones you can check the ESN, but not sure about AT&T phones. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss