yet another ridiculous windows phone is failing article..

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
yeah this is just an other Renter looking for Hits on his webpage cause hes got nothing better to talk about..

*Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 vendor partners sold just 2.7 million devices in the fourth quarter of 2011.*

im not sure how this make any sens ether.. he claims that MS is losing track .. yet they sold more phones in 4th quarter then they did all year!!! he also talks about how MS 's is WP OS is failing , yet he only talks about NOKIA sales compared to global Android/Iphone...

go ahead an ignore this ignorant article.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
What a mess of a website. Here's their top 10 and my reaction.

(1) TOO FEW VENDORS. Hard to argue against that. It would help if more vendors would jump on board to build WP7 phones.

(2) BECOMING DOMINATED BY ONE VENDOR - NOKIA. Many have argued that this is not a bad thing at all, due to Nokia's market dominance in every place not named "America." If Nokia is the only WP7 vendor 3 years from now, then there may be trouble.

(3) CONSUMER MINDSHARE LACKING. Can't argue with that. Unfortunately, this is true and a problem.

(4) CARRIERS AREN'T HELPING TO PROMOTE WP7. Also very true.

(5) ANDROID LICENSING BY MICROSOFT. Sorry, what? Fell asleep during this one.

(6) LACK OF MICROSOFT MARKETING. Repeat of #3.

(7) CAN'T TARGET BOTH CONSUMERS AND ENTERPRISE AT SAME TIME. This one is just silly. Disagree completely with this.

(8) LACK OF MARKETING LINK BETWEEN WP7 AND WINDOWS8. Another repeat of #3, and not true anyway.

(9) NO "HERO" DEVICE. True, but not sure the argument fits. After all, Android's hero device in the early years was the original Motorola Droid, not the first Google Nexus. And Verizon had more to do with making Droid a brand than Google did.

(10) NO LONG-TERM VISION? I think eWeek fell asleep during all those Windows8 demos. That's the long-term vision, guys.

Overall, a few good points, but nothing original or newsworthy.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I tested that voice search function out and it worked fine in the Microsoft store. Didn't try voice to text though. I think the WP maps are pretty good too.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Can any of you Defenders of Windows Phone living in the US currently use voice search or voice text?

Yep. I use it nearly every day. I find saying, "call XXX XXX" faster than finding the person in the People Hub. I also use it to text while driving. Sometimes it doesn't work perfectly, but I tell people to sound it out, lol.

I have to agree with the Aggie above me (which is hard for me, given that I go to Baylor, haha) on the responses to the article. Some of the issues are legitimate, some are not at all, and some would have been, but he didn't use a good example to prove it.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
My take
(1) TOO FEW VENDORS. Having several great vendors is better than having a lot of vendors. As long as HTC, Nokia and Samsung bring their A game when it comes to hardware, software, marketing and covers all price ranges than that's all WP needs. Its better than having a flood of handsets that offer different experiences. The fewer vendors the less fragmentation.

(2) BECOMING DOMINATED BY ONE VENDOR - This is a good thing. Nokia is really showing the world what a WP can do and they are covering all the major price points with great products with good industrial build.

(3) CONSUMER MINDSHARE LACKING. Slowly changing with addressing one carrier at a time. Once you find the right formula on one carrier move it to the next one. Smokedbywindowsphone also helps awareness of the platform and showcases how its different, fast and fluid.

(4) CARRIERS AREN'T HELPING TO PROMOTE WP7. I don't think so by going with one carrier at a time like I said you can find the formula that works. T-Mobile is doing a great job and soon AT&T will follow. Sprint and other carriers will slowly catch on once they get a hero handset made for their needs.

(5) ANDROID LICENSING BY MICROSOFT. With all the patent fees from Apple and MS it might be cheaper to make Windows Phone and maybe its more profitable in the long run. IMO it can be its all up to the OEM's to market the platform.

(6) LACK OF MICROSOFT MARKETING. Marketing is getting better and better IMO I am seeing more MS and WP commercials. They need to market their culture not just their products similar to how Nokia is doing it.

(7) CAN'T TARGET BOTH CONSUMERS AND ENTERPRISE AT SAME TIME. Yeah this is stupid

(8) LACK OF MARKETING LINK BETWEEN WP7 AND WINDOWS8. Windows8 hasn't been marketed the general public doesn't even know its coming out.

(9) NO "HERO" DEVICE. Nokia Lumia 900 is the hero device. When ppl talk Windows Phone its all about Nokia. Lumia 900 is where MS is pouring a lot of money into so yes its a hero phone. Also Lumia 710 is also a hero phone for the budget consumers. You have to consider the phone market like weight classes there is a champion at every class. Lumia 710 for low end and hopefully 900 for mid range/high end.

(10) NO LONG-TERM VISION? I think MS is going to incorporate Tellme into Bing. So now Bing can listen to you (tellme), Look at things for you (vision), Listen to music and find local places to eat and search. Its the all-in-1 artificial intelligence search engine.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
That article is simply ridiculous, full of outdated and incorrect information. This one made me lol:

Building the Link to Windows 8

One of Microsoft's key opportunities to improve Windows Phone 7 adoption resides with Windows 8. The desktop operating system, which is scheduled to launch later this year, comes with Live Tiles, the same feature found in Windows Phone 7. The smart move would be for Microsoft to point that out, leverage Windows 8 and link that product with Windows Phone 7.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
yeah this is just an other Renter looking for Hits on his webpage cause hes got nothing better to talk about..

*Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 vendor partners sold just 2.7 million devices in the fourth quarter of 2011.*

im not sure how this make any sens ether.. he claims that MS is losing track .. yet they sold more phones in 4th quarter then they did all year!!! he also talks about how MS 's is WP OS is failing , yet he only talks about NOKIA sales compared to global Android/Iphone...

go ahead an ignore this ignorant article.

Don't take what's written out of context...

In fact, according to one research firm, Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 vendor partners sold just 2.7 million devices in the fourth quarter of 2011. Apple, on the other hand, sold more than 37 million iPhones during the same period. And Android vendors? Well, let's just say that, in total, they put both numbers to shame.

That part for for comparative purposes and you chopped it out.

You also have to put it into other contexts, like the fact that WP7 global sales should have been expected to go up since it launched in more markets and thus had access to more potential purchasers. 2.7M worldwide is still a deplorable number in the grand scheme of things. The smartphone market is competitive.

There are merits to some sections, like Slide 7. The Marketing Slide, and the stuff about carriers that people here are still complaining about.

That article is simply ridiculous, full of outdated and incorrect information. This one made me lol:

How is that outdated or incorrect. Windows 8 does share lots of features with Windows Phone, including Live Tiles. The writer simply gave one example.

And it is correct that Microsoft can potentially leverage their huge Windows market to promote their Phone OS, especially when you realize that their Live Services tie directly into both Windows Phone and Windows Desktop OS, Office (this can bode especially well for them with the Tablet version, which ships with Office - like WP7 does), etc. They can promote it as a companion device to the Windows PC/Tablet much the same as they (sort of) promoted it as such for the XB360 with the companion app and XBL integration, and the same way Apple leverages their ecosystem to get people to buy their products in all form factors possible (Desktop, Notebook, PMP, Smartphone, Tablet PC, AppleTV).

It can make for some interesting (and refreshing, compared what what they've done so far) marketing possibilities as well.

However, that would depend on the level of integration outside of the obvious Live Synching.

(5) ANDROID LICENSING BY MICROSOFT. With all the patent fees from Apple and MS it might be cheaper to make Windows Phone and maybe its more profitable in the long run. IMO it can be its all up to the OEM's to market the platform.
Umm, no. Because the vast majority of Samsung/HTC and those other companies' profits come from Android. As long as Android is in the market position it's in there's likely no benefit to going with WP7 instead. WP7 would have to overtake Android in marketshare before they even consider such a thing (more below). They have to license WP7 from MS, as well...

Also keep in mine Microsoft does most [all] WP7 development, while HTC/Samsung have full-staffed development teams just for Android customization. They know Android isn't free, cause they're already paying a ton to customize it for their devices whereas they get (for the most part) ready to run versions from Microsoft which do not allow that level of customization and they are at a competitive disadvantage vs. Nokia, anyways... Even if the Android licensing fees are 3x the WP7 licensing fees, that's still not a deterrent because their Android devices are outselling their WP7 devices like 10:1 or more across all their models on the market. Economics is not preferential to any platform.

They will happily pay those fees, because they make way too much money from Android.

As far as A game... Samsung and HTC always bring their B game to WP7. Their Android hardware is superior in almost all cases, and the devices often retail for the exact same price and just like with computers consumers equate higher specs with "better" (whether or not we disagree is non-factor because we are not making their purchases for them).

The problem with WP7 becoming a 1 vendor thing is that they'll have the same issue as Apple has IRT competing with Android. If someone doesn't like Nokia's design decisions, they will simply go elsewhere because the other vendors are more commited to Android or don't have as much freedom to do things with the OS as Nokia - they will surely lower their focus on WP7 if that were to happen, if not outright drop the platform, anyways (unless microsoft strong-armed them through licensing deals, in which case they'll just produce crap devices to meet that commitment). For example, the Lumia 900 doesn't even have a removeable battery, which is a showstopper for a large number of people despite the rest of the phone being quite a looker/performer (lots of people don't get iPhones for that very same reason).

With Android you have multiple vendors producing top tier devices so it's easy to "settle" there. Not so with WP7.

The carrier bit he wrote is correct both from a sales/support perspective and from a device perspective. Who knows, maybe Samsung went to AT&T with a Focus S that had 32GB NAND Storage with 1GB RAM and an HD screen but AT&T said "No, Windows phone sales aren't that strong so we aren't paying that much for devices (carriers buy in bulk and then resale, you see). Downgrade the spacs to 16GB/512/WVGA plx and thx..." Carriers have a lot of say in what they end up selling, from design to specs even to support (which updates they're willing to push out to phones, as the 8107 on AT&T is clearly demonstrating). Only Apple has been able to avoid this issue with the Carriers, thus far.

I do think the article's title was written that way primarily to lure page views and be sensational. It's a bit disingenuous, IMO.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay, the author struggled to get 10 items, and it seems if he couldn't get 10 he was going to loose his "Microsoft Basher" Merit Badge. While I do not think this is a hatchet job, most of any of the hundreds of posters on WP Central could have given a more in depth, constructive and objective list. (Has anyone besides me cruised other sites and found them to be full of negative, bitter posters? I am very happy with this community.)

I am concerned for the immediate future of WP, but not the long term. The main thing I worry about is the way most venders are done producing WP devices until Apollo comes out. If Apollo were on track to hit this Summer as it was rumored to be when Microsoft started showing it off last year, no sweat. But, if Apollo comes out in the November/December range as is the latest gossip, I think WP will be completely buried in sales for another year and a half to 2 years. How does WP compete with Quad Core Androids with ICS (a very good Android update, by the way. If you haven't yet, go play with a Galaxy Nexus. I think Google has got a winner on their hands) and the next iPhone? Mango handsets have done their job: WP is now got a ton of good press, and more and more consumers are curious about the OS. I get asked all the time when people see me with mine, and they know it by name. But if Apollo does not get here BEFORE the holiday buying season to get some traction, No new handsets from anyone means the Nokia 900 and Titan 2 are it. They will go by the wayside by the start of Summer, and WP ends up at 3% - 7% or so sales for 2012, and spends most of 2013 trying to catch up.

Long term though is all upside. The complete Ecosystem Microsoft is buiding, the Tablets that have people exited (get those prices down when released, guys), and the determination to be #1 is exciting. The Tango line of handsets will provide low end phones with high end performance and will dominate over time. Then eWeek will come up with a story about how Microsoft had a great plan, is unstoppable, and OF COURSE eWeek knew it all along......

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I totally agree on the marketing front.

Funny thing is, I have a final paper coming up in marketing and I chose to do Windows Phone as my product, analyzing Microsoft's ability to successfully market their product. Wish me luck/a good grade!

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
But, if Apollo comes out in the November/December range as is the latest gossip, I think WP will be completely buried in sales for another year and a half to 2 years.
No doubt quite a few posters here will find lots to criticize about the upcoming iPhone 5, but Apple is widely expected to release it in October. It will be a sales success, and Microsoft/Nokia need to do whatever is necessary to get Apollo released before then. Otherwise Apollo and new Apollo devices will just get lost in the media attention that will be devoted to the next iPhone.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Yep. I use it nearly every day. I find saying, "call XXX XXX" faster than finding the person in the People Hub. I also use it to text while driving. Sometimes it doesn't work perfectly, but I tell people to sound it out, lol.

I have to agree with the Aggie above me (which is hard for me, given that I go to Baylor, haha) on the responses to the article. Some of the issues are legitimate, some are not at all, and some would have been, but he didn't use a good example to prove it.

It wasn't working for a few days. Check Titan forum.

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
As a previous iphone and android junky, I am making the switch to Windows phone, I don't believe its going anywhere as a matter of fact if android doesnt look out it will loose share. I am an avid tech guy and have done all the jailbreaking, rooting etc etc and I have come full circle I just want a phone that is efficient, sleek and has an all encompassing UI, which seems to be windows phone and iOS. I'm all iOS'd out so i decided to test windows phone and got to say am extremely excited to get my lumia!

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
As a previous iphone and android junky, I am making the switch to Windows phone, I don't believe its going anywhere as a matter of fact if android doesnt look out it will loose share. I am an avid tech guy and have done all the jailbreaking, rooting etc etc and I have come full circle I just want a phone that is efficient, sleek and has an all encompassing UI, which seems to be windows phone and iOS. I'm all iOS'd out so i decided to test windows phone and got to say am extremely excited to get my lumia!

Welcome to the Forum!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb