New to Windows Phone have questions

csiguy1

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I may jump to the new Nokia phone and have a few questions.
1. Does it come with Office Mobile?
2. Does it sync wirelessly with Outlook on a windows desktop for contacts, calendar?

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
you can save documents to sky drive and I know Excel at least has nearly full functionality, functions etc, but it is slow going editing on a phone. Still the functionality is there, same for Word, etc.

as far as calendar and outlook contacts that is relatively easy, you basically have to integrate what you do into Windows Live and since your phone is Windows Live, it does it allfor you after that. Here is a simple tutorial to sync your outlook calendar/contacts to Windows Phone:
Sync your Outlook calendar to Windows Phone

and yes, this should all occur wirelessly, as long as you link it properly

copied my response in the Lumia 900 board, hope it helps!

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
2. Windows Phone will not sync directly with Outlook. You can install Hotmail Connector and then you can have those contact and calendar folders in Outlook, but they are different folders from your personal folders in Outlook. You can copy items to the Hotmail folders and then it will sync with Hotmail and then to your phone.

Or, you can sync your Outlook with Google (various ways to do that, CompanionLink for one) and then with a Google account on your phone, you will have Calendar and Contacts.

But, there is no direct syncing with Outlook and notes and tasks have issues going through Hotmail and Google.

Personally, I use CompanionLink to sync to Google and then to my phone and use WP apps for notes and tasks.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
1. Yes, and you also have the ability to edit although it is potentially slow going but for reviewing documents and making minor edits it works well. It also links with Sharepoint if this is your bag and Skydrive for offline storage.

2. Depends what you mean by Outlook. If you have an office based email system and you are using Outlook then it is likely that you are using exchange in which case is it also very likely you can use push email which will Sync contacts, email, tasks and calendar entries. The acid test here is if you have Outlook Web Access then you will also have EAS (Exchange Active Sync) as supported by WP7, iOS and Android to name but a few. Additionally you can also set your out of Office up. This all does rather depend on what you meant by Outlook otherwise the above answer may be more appropriate.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify:
-Office is pre-loaded on the phone, offering Excel, Word, PowerPoint and OneNote. OneNote syncs with your desktop thru SkyDrive.
-WindowsPhone connects to; Live, Exchange, Google, Yahoo, etc. email, contacts and calendar. Tasks and/or ToDos also sync with some third party help.

But not that all of this, Office and PIM, all sync through the Cloud. Only thing that syncs directly with your PC is media; photos, video and music.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
In Apollo it appearsthat direct sync with Outlook will be re enabled through some new and improved (active) sync app

If you have exchange at your work that will sync outlook and theres also office 365 which you can get for 6 to 8 bucks a month which will give you your outlook calendar etc.

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify:
-Office is pre-loaded on the phone, offering Excel, Word, PowerPoint and OneNote. OneNote syncs with your desktop thru SkyDrive.
-WindowsPhone connects to; Live, Exchange, Google, Yahoo, etc. email, contacts and calendar. Tasks and/or ToDos also sync with some third party help.

But not that all of this, Office and PIM, all sync through the Cloud. Only thing that syncs directly with your PC is media; photos, video and music.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

yes, sorry, the link I copied over from my post on the Lumia 900 boards, didn't make it, but this shows you how it works breifly. Both sync to the cloud, then to your phone and PC, but it is all automatic if you set it up right.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site

yes, sorry, the link I copied over from my post on the Lumia 900 boards, didn't make it, but this shows you how it works breifly. Both sync to the cloud, then to your phone and PC, but it is all automatic if you set it up right.

I do this and it works great. After setting it up, I set the Live account to be the default under "Data Files." For those contacts I don't want synced to the cloud, I use the personal folder in Outlook. The only problem is the Outlook Connector doesn't sync To-do items.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750