5 apps that fill in the gaps of wp7 OS.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
As we all know, there were many things left out of the wp7 OS upon release. Mango was a big upgrade but there are still gaping holes... Which led me to search for apps (work-arounds), to complete some incomplete functionality:

1. Rap Dialer- adds universal search, pulls up the phone dialer instead of call history, has a plethora of customization (3 different dial pads, sound options, text messaging options, you can even choose what the icon on the tile looks like and what it says, plus more options. This has replaced the stock dialer indefinitely.

2. Photo Search Free- stand alone bing images search app. Adds the ability to actually save images to your phone!

3. Add To Contacts- replaces local scout. Does the same thing except it allows you to save phone numbers and contact information from your search results, and adds them to the contact list.

4. BHive Tasks- allows you to easily view the month and what you have planned. There are also folders that you can create and name to organize and prioritize events, among other options the stock calendar doesn't have.

5. Cool Tools- all-in-one app that adds some "basics" that was left out of wp7 like stopwatch, converter, tip calc., countdown, sound check, ruler, ECT..

Honorable mention: 3 excellent apps that add options and functionality to where the camera lacks-
6. Photo Crop
7. Pictures Lab
8. Self Shooter

these apps are essentially some missing pieces of wp7. Anyone new here should put these on your phone for some needed functionality.

Last edited:

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Rap Dialer sounds nice awesome but the first feature makes me giggle. It would have to pull the dialer up regardless because you cant display call history in 3rd party apps

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
3. Add To Contacts- replaces local scout. Does the same thing except it allows you to save phone numbers and contact information from your search results, and adds them to the contact list.

Under local scout you can also add the contact to favorites and it will store all the information there.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Under local scout you can also add the contact to favorites and it will store all the information there.

in order to retrieve anything that is stored in favorites, you must open the browser, then type in a web site, then the favorites menu will be available when you tap on the 3 dots. Local scout does not have an option to save phone numbers and other information to your contacts list.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Where is this elusive "beehive tasks"? Marketplace results are not producing anything.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site

Oh BHive!

Austin_Danger_Powers_Mike_Myers.jpg

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
in order to retrieve anything that is stored in favorites, you must open the browser, then type in a web site, then the favorites menu will be available when you tap on the 3 dots. Local scout does not have an option to save phone numbers and other information to your contacts list.

Open local scout, swipe to favorites. I'm not sure why you have so many extra steps. There are no 3 dots or opening a web browser involved. What sort of web searches are you trying to do that wouldn't normally appear in Local Scout? The see+do section is the only one I've seen so far that has event listings that don't give the option to save the favorites, but those events usually don't have a phone number or address attached.

Last edited:

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Open local scout, swipe to favorites. I'm not sure why you have so many extra steps. There are no 3 dots or opening a web browser involved. What sort of web searches are you trying to do that wouldn't normally appear in Local Scout? The see+do section is the only one I've seen so far that has event listings that don't give the option to save the favorites, but those events usually don't have a phone number or address attached.

you can do it that way..but wouldn't you rather have phone numbers accessible from your contacts list?....pull open the dial pad and hit #6 for 'market' (or whatever) and have the number?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
you can do it that way..but wouldn't you rather have phone numbers accessible from your contacts list?....pull open the dial pad and hit #6 for 'market' (or whatever) and have the number?

I don't have a preference, myself, I just figured someone might want to know there are two ways just in case they want to save a company's info but don't want them in their contact list.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
So, judging by this thread - in all honestly, there's not a lot at all that separates WP from the competition (in the app department)...

:)

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely. It surprises me when I see people harping on about "lack of apps" on WP. They clearly haven't been brought up to speed.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
So, judging by this thread - in all honestly, there's not a lot at all that separates WP from the competition (in the app department)...

:)

I downloaded those 8 apps to fill in some things missing from wp7... don't think it would be needed on other platforms.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a preference, myself, I just figured someone might want to know there are two ways just in case they want to save a company's info but don't want them in their contact list.

that is good to know. You might want a number of a business you call frequently in your contacts, and ones you only called one time in local scout favorites menu.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely. It surprises me when I see people harping on about "lack of apps" on WP. They clearly haven't been brought up to speed.
People will always find something to hold over other OS's though.

For WP7, the last thing was Skype support, next thing will be that there's no Instagram app, once it is released on Android.

gregoron

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
People will always find something to hold over other OS's though.

For WP7, the last thing was Skype support, next thing will be that there's no Instagram app, once it is released on Android.

I have Skype now and Tango. I prefer Tango. I also installed all Nokia apps which I think are well executed.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
As we all know, there were many things left out of the wp7 OS upon release. Mango was a big upgrade but there are still gaping holes... Which led me to search for apps (work-arounds), to complete some incomplete functionality:

1. Rap Dialer- adds universal search, pulls up the phone dialer instead of call history, has a plethora of customization (3 different dial pads, sound options, text messaging options, you can even choose what the icon on the tile looks like and what it says, plus more options. This has replaced the stock dialer indefinitely.

2. Photo Search Free- stand alone bing images search app. Adds the ability to actually save images to your phone!

4. BHive Tasks- allows you to easily view the month and what you have planned. There are also folders that you can create and name to organize and prioritize events, among other options the stock calendar doesn't have.

5. Cool Tools- all-in-one app that adds some "basics" that was left out of wp7 like stopwatch, converter, tip calc., countdown, sound check, ruler, ECT..

Honorable mention: 3 excellent apps that add options and functionality to where the camera lacks-
6. Photo Crop
7. Pictures Lab
8. Self Shooter

these apps are essentially some missing pieces of wp7. Anyone new here should put these on your phone for some needed functionality.

I disagree with:
1- I think people would rather it goto call history instead of the dialer, when I had my TP I would always collapse the dial pad and use the call history to call my frequently called people.

2- don't think I'd want to save those to my phone,the way it currently works is fine for me.

3-can easily add these to favorites and call from there and pin local scout to start screen for faster access,there's also call history.

4-agenda view does all of this in the standard calendar. What exactly is missing? I can view multiple calendars,respond to Facebook events all within the OS itself.

5-these are left out of other OSes too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel